Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help! Where do I find a maintenance Free battery!

+5
wan2run
Steve-O
heb4an12
jedishon
ttexastim
9 posters

Go down

Help!  Where do I find a maintenance Free battery! Empty Help! Where do I find a maintenance Free battery!

Post  ttexastim Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:47 pm

Alright ... looks like the T-cell is going down the toilet. After a weekend on the trickle charger it just barely turned enough to start this morning. I hope I'll get home tonight. Where would I look for a battery that will fit in that T-Cell holder. Yuzza? Walmart? I tried walmart, and they had one, but for my bike they didn't list one of the models.

I've been busy as a one-legged man in a but kickin' contest and don't have time to do my research. Can any of y'all help?
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Help!  Where do I find a maintenance Free battery! Empty Re: Help! Where do I find a maintenance Free battery!

Post  jedishon Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:12 pm

Sorry Tim. You might have to go to the stealer. I know there is a batteries plus store at 1791 woodruff rd but you might want to call them and see if they have what you need. 864-254-0307

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Help!  Where do I find a maintenance Free battery! Empty Re: Help! Where do I find a maintenance Free battery!

Post  heb4an12 Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:59 pm

Tim,I just put a yuzza ytz14s in my 1986 1100 shadow.It fit right in where the t batt went with the post on the correct side.
Honda shadow.net is where i got my info.pretty sure it will fit yours.got mine from interstate i think.IT cost about 130.00
I have had trouble cold starting and it not holding charge long enough if it did not crank right up.
NO MORE it cranks first time evertime.I Love it.
Hope this helps

heb4an12

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:29 pm

If you completely drained your batter, a trickle charger will take a couple days....and it's not good for your battery. I had one I thought was dead (drained it). Had it on the trickle charger for two days before it would turn the engine over.

Batteries plus will have one that fits, but not sure they have one in Greenville.

You're doing good going for the maintenance free battery.

Folks on the hondashadow.net have some recommendations. Yould have to search over there.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Help!  Where do I find a maintenance Free battery! Empty Go here -

Post  wan2run Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:46 pm

http://www.motobatt.com/

I paid $70 after tax and shipping. 2 year replacement guarantee...

wan2run

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-05-30

http://www.notjustoil.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:04 pm

This things been on it's way down hill for a few months. I noticed 3 months ago that it was having trouble firing. I started putting it on the trickle charger every other day just to top it off over night. It would charge for an hour or so and then be full. Slowly but surely, the charge times have gotten less, and the need to keep it on the charger have gotten worse. Yesterday morning I took if of the charger (which indicated a full charge) and it would barely crank.

I ended up buying a PS01-344 from Power Stride (www.powerstridebattery.com). It's a sealed with 250 CCAs. Found out about it from HS.N a while back. Cost me $76 with free shipping.
ttexastim
ttexastim

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldsmobility Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:36 pm

How long do the factory batteries typically last in most Honda's? I've got the OEM battery in my VT750C and it's still going strong after five years.

Just to be sure I wouldn't end up stranded with a dead battery, I verified that I could physically bump start the bike if necessary. I'm just going to run the battery until it totally fails before replacement.
Oldsmobility
Oldsmobility

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Help!  Where do I find a maintenance Free battery! Empty Oreilly

Post  btaillon Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:53 pm

My 2002 Aero is on it's 2nd battery the first one lasted 6 years and 75,000 miles I puck up a new maintenance free battery at Oreilly Auto for around 85.00. They even has it in stock. Beats the heck out of the add water Walmart batteries.
Brett

2002 Honda Shadow Aero 1100
Darkside
99.198 miles and counting

btaillon

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:04 pm

Tim, check your stator and voltage regulator also. You mentioned charging your battery and it running down. Tells me it's not charging your battery. Keep your old battery. It may not be the real problem.

Oh, and stators and voltage regulators are not always available for our bikes. I thought about buying one now just so I'd have it when I eventually needed it. This is a weak link in our bikes. One of the only ones by the way.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldsmobility Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:17 pm

75,000 miles wow. Now I'm kinda embarassed I've only got 33k on my '04. The first two years the previous owner only put 5k on it.

How much do stators run for these bikes, ballpark figure?
Oldsmobility
Oldsmobility

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:07 am

I was thinking the stator was $50 and the voltage regulator was $50. Lot's more to have them installed. And you have to have a voltage regulator or the tools to see what the stator is doing to determine if it's going bad. But, the stock of them is questionable. Not always available. Since I plan on keeping my 1100 for awhile, thought I'd go ahead and get this part. I've had the switch assy replaced (free) which is the other weak link in this bike. Think there's only two.

I also need to get me a battery. My bike is going on 6 years old with the original battery, so it's due to go out. My luck I'd buy the battery, put it in the garage, and the battery would die somewhere in Kansas. Ha!

keep the trickle charger on your battery if you don't ride a lot. Keeping the battery at 100% will make it last longer.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  85V-TWIN Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:45 am

Oldsmobility wrote:75,000 miles wow. Now I'm kinda embarassed I've only got 33k on my '04. The first two years the previous owner only put 5k on it.

How much do stators run for these bikes, ballpark figure?
33k on an 04 lol.try only 28k in 25yrs lol.at least thats what it was when i bought it.i currently have a lil over 36k and i'm glad to see these are high mileage bikes.makes it well worth to continue my moddin on this bike. Smile
85V-TWIN
85V-TWIN

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2009-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post  skochi798 Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:56 pm

ytz14s from scorpion battery co has 230cca and will fit right in and at 68.00 with shipping its a deal.
Rick
skochi798
skochi798

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-07-17

http://myspace.com/skochi798

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:21 pm

I just bought my current battery last year. It's a flooded cell T-shaped one.

Steve, the reason I suspect the battery is already bad, is because the bike was on the trickle charger all weekend. I took it off the trickle charger (which said it was fully charged), and the battery barely had enough juice to crank it over. That right there seems to be a bad battery.

It is possible that the charging system is going. I put my voltage meter on the battery the other day. 12 volts off. 14ish on.

Should get this new battery tomorrow. at 250 CCAs, I'm really looking forward to it!
ttexastim
ttexastim

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:22 pm

Oh! And Steve ... if you want some help installing a stator, just let me know. I've pulled mine out 4 times while fixing that pesky oil leak I had. It's pretty easy to me now. I'd gladly give you a hand.
ttexastim
ttexastim

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:41 am

Have you found your problem yet? You may need to replace a part at a time. Eventually, you will need an stator and a voltage regulator. Just buy both and replace both. Should fix your battery problems. It's not a wiring or battery problem. That leaves one of two things that are dependent on each other.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum