Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting a Tire mounted

+4
ttexastim
nodakbassmaster
Badmoon
jkd301
8 posters

Go down

Getting a Tire mounted Empty Getting a Tire mounted

Post  jkd301 Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:45 pm

I have been lurking around these and other forums gathering info on going to the darkside for a while now and finally decided to doit. My stock Dunlop is bald in the center at just over 4k. I am a daily driver 100 miles or so a day 5 times a week. The roads here are, well CRAP Sad . Anyway, I finally decided to take the plunge and while I am a fair mechanic on 4 wheeled vehicles, there is no way im taking the rear tire on my 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 myself.

Here is my trouble, when I go to any cycle shop or car tire shop and ask them to mount a C/T on my MC they look at me like I'm on crack! Heck, one guy even suggested I was insane! Does anyone here know a place in eastern Oklahoma that will do this without makeing nasty comments about the liniage of my mother and father? lol!
jkd301
jkd301

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-07-23

Back to top Go down

Getting a Tire mounted Empty Re: Getting a Tire mounted

Post  Badmoon Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:57 pm

Where exactly are you? I would suggest that you contact Kermit or Larry Simpson here on the board. She is in or around the Texarkana area. He is around there too.
I found a mom and pop place here that was more than happy to do it. Of course there was a bucket of chicken in it for them. ha ha .

Good luck.
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:41 am

yup, call around and you can always offer to pay cash, no reciept or sign a disclaimer if need be... :arrow:
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  jkd301 Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:23 am

Im about 60 miles south of Tulsa. A long way to Texarkanna on a bald Dunlap, although I could haul it in my truck Sad . There are tons of tire shops left here, I have already been to the ones with the best reputation though. Some of those left may yet do it, but their reputation and equipment are not that great. I may give it a try myself, I have done a truck tire with hand tools once when I was a teenager and had no money. affraid
jkd301
jkd301

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:00 am

I'm down in Cambell TX. If you take the indian turnpike, then head towards Paris Texas, you continue right on to campbell. I'd be more then happy to help you take the wheel off and get the new one put on. I used a mom/pop shop down the road to take the old tire off and put the new tire on. I did the rest of the work myself.

I'd check with any of the local mom/pop tire spots (the kinds of places that look real grungy!) They may mount it for you, but they probably won't remove the tire. You may have to do that part yourself.

If you need a hand, I'm more then happy to help though. It would be a nice pretty ride for you too!
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Getting a Tire mounted Empty RE GETTING TIRE MOUNTED

Post  Larry Simpson Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:04 am

Evidentily you are close to me I sent you a pm. Larry Very Happy Very Happy
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:06 am

00doc and marang both live in the Tulsa area. You could sent them a PM and see if they can help you out. Tell themI sent you.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:48 pm

Saw your post Jerry...
There is a small independent shop in Tahlequah that would be Very Happy to take care of him.
I pm'd the info.
Glad we could help out a bro. Wink
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  jkd301 Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:43 am

Sorry it's taken me so long but I been pulling triple shifts as we are short handed at work. I appreciate the pm's and will hollar back soon, Thanks again! I'm looking for a tire now....
jkd301
jkd301

Back to top Go down

Getting a Tire mounted Empty Tire Replace

Post  starider Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:25 pm

I had the same problem so I had a bike shop remove the Dunlop, $10. Then I bought a tire iron from Tractor Supply, $25.
I put the wheel on a 5 gallon bucket. It was half full of golf balls for ballast. With my wifes help I had the Goodyear on the rim in about 5 minits. It was easy. Soapy water helps ALOT. It seated with about 21 PSI. Piece a cake.
I suspended the wheel between two 5 gallon buckets and balanced it myself.
Theres a video on you tube that shows you how to change a tire yourself. Takes longer to watch the video than doin it yourself. Just do it and have fun. Cool
starider
starider

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down