Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just installed and SOLD!

+2
jedishon
Kosy
6 posters

Go down

Just installed and SOLD! Empty Just installed and SOLD!

Post  Kosy Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:10 am

Last evening I put a Michlelin Hydroedge 205/70R-15 on my 2009 VTX 1300R. This morning I rode 100 miles to work (the usual commute. I got one word about the tire "WOW"

The tire change out was perhaps somewhat different than I had expected. However, there are some really good tips here on the forum. When I removed the tire I began looking at the muffler mounting situation. There was a bracket that held the two mufflers together about where the axle is located and another bracket for holding the mufflers to the frame in the forward section of the wheelwell. Seeing a potential for trouble when placing the new tire back on I took the two lower bolts out of the bracket holding the mufflers together and turned the bolt around on the frame bracket. The wheel went in very easily.

I was dying to ride last evening but it was late. After reading all the handling charastics described here I was somewhat apprehensive about riding in the dark. This morning being eager and taking nothing to chance I doned my Bohn body armor to include the shirt and pants, my leather gloves, and helmet (I thought if something happen and I lost control I was going to be prepared...something my 40+ years of riding has taught me). The ride was 40 miles on paved country roads and 60 miles or so on limited access 4 lane hiways. The speed limits were from 55 to 70 mph and I rode between 60 and 75. The frist thing I noticed pulling out of the driveway was that the tire tracked the imperfections in the road at the lower speeds. Nothing major just a different feel. At speed the tire handled wonderfully and actually it felt as if it was easier to maintain speed. Taking it easy through the curves I did notice that a little more counter steer was necessary BUT a lot less that what I expected given what I read. On the straight and level 4 lane steering was very light and responsive and the feel of the tire was smooth. I hated to stop and wanted to keep on riding. Needless to say I am sold. I figure I would take it easy today and tomorrow which is about 400 miles of commuting and take it to the twisties this weekend. On all those bikes I have riden over the years this is perhaps the first time I have gotten excited about a tire.Just installed and SOLD! 2

Last edited by Kosy on Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:13 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Kosy
Kosy

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-07-06

Back to top Go down

Just installed and SOLD! Empty Re: Just installed and SOLD!

Post  jedishon Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:31 am

Welcome to the wonderful world of the darkside. The sad thing is the handling will only get better as the tire wears. Enjoy.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:11 pm

Most of us wear flame retardent suits the first time we rode..... Very Happy

Good to hear you didn't burst into flames as the naysayers had predicted.

Great write up. Post pics when you get a chance.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Just installed and SOLD! Empty would if I knew how...

Post  Kosy Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:39 pm

I found out how to post a picture on my Avatar but don't understand how to post a picture here... Maybe someone could shed some light!
Kosy
Kosy

Back to top Go down

Post  kermit Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:14 pm

You'll have to use a site like photobucket and upload your pictures there and then you can copy to here. Sorry, I kind of learn from screwups and am not good with explaining.
kermit
kermit

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Kosy Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:21 pm

https://servimg.com/view/14150413/3
Kosy
Kosy

Back to top Go down

Just installed and SOLD! Empty Twisty Riding

Post  Kosy Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:30 pm

WOW... Again I am impressed. I took the bike for a ride today on a road I knew very well. The tire stuck like glue. Curves that had a sign recommending 35 mph I was able to handle at 50 to 55 scaping all the way through yet holding it close on my line of travel. Never once did I feel that the tire was going to break loose. Of couse again just to be prepared I looked like a knight ready to do battle with a full face helmet this time. Needless to say that I am preaching to the choir here but I assure you that my riding buddies will here about this.... DARKSIDE forever!!!!
Kosy
Kosy

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie D Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:05 am

I love mine too
Today I hit the interstate and was going way to fast on the onramp I could feel the shocks jumping up and down as I forced it to hold my line so I think the next step is new rear shocks and bushings.

it was as if my shocks were set on 1 instead of 4

Charlie D

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:26 pm

Kosy,

Congrats on your darkside! Welcome to the wonderful world of the darkside.

...............bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down