Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Avon Storm ST Sport Touring Front Tire AV55 ST - 130/70R17?

+2
twin1300
12volts
6 posters

Go down

Avon Storm ST Sport Touring Front Tire AV55 ST - 130/70R17? Empty Avon Storm ST Sport Touring Front Tire AV55 ST - 130/70R17?

Post  12volts Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:03 am

Has or does anyone run the Avon Storm Sport Touring tires on the front of your bike? It is getting close to time for me to change the front tire on my '03 MS. I currently have a Bridgestone Exedra 130/70/17 on the front. I have not be satisfied with this tires tread life or handling characteristics, to say the least. I have heard good things about the Avon and Metzler tires, however I can not find a me880 Metzler this size. I have located an Avon Storm ST Sport Touring Front Tire AV55 ST - 130/70R17 from Phat Performance at a reasonable price and I am considering purchasing it. Before I do, I was hoping to hear from some of you that maybe running these. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
12volts
12volts

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-06-10

Back to top Go down

Avon Storm ST Sport Touring Front Tire AV55 ST - 130/70R17? Empty Re: Avon Storm ST Sport Touring Front Tire AV55 ST - 130/70R17?

Post  twin1300 Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:51 am

Sorry, I am a Bridgestone S11 Spitfire kinda guy and it's the only tire I will put on the front of my 1300C.

..................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Avon Storm ST Sport Touring Front Tire AV55 ST - 130/70R17? Empty Re: Avon Storm ST Sport Touring Front Tire AV55 ST - 130/70R17?

Post  wayne Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:20 am

And I like the 150-17 up front.

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  marine-mp Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:10 pm

12volts,
I can't say about the Avon, as I've not used one, but.......I do know what works on the GoldWing. It's a heavy bike and I use a Bridgestone BattleAx BT45. It is a bias rear tire that many are using on the front of the GW. Mine now has 9,000 miles on it and it looks like the day I put it on. It has twice the rubber on it, as it is a rear tire. Motorcycle Superstore has your size 130/70H-17 for $86.99. You may be saying, I can't mix a radial with a bias ply. Think out-of-the-box. The first few years, Valkaryes were shipped from mother Honda with a radial on the back and a bias on front. If you don't tell the radial on back that the front is a bias, it'll never know!!!! It works for me and I'm in some of the best "twisty" country in the states. Anyways, just some food for thot. JMHO Semper-fi MIke

marine-mp

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post  12volts Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:00 am

marine-mp wrote:12volts,
I can't say about the Avon, as I've not used one, but.......I do know what works on the GoldWing. It's a heavy bike and I use a Bridgestone BattleAx BT45. It is a bias rear tire that many are using on the front of the GW. Mine now has 9,000 miles on it and it looks like the day I put it on. It has twice the rubber on it, as it is a rear tire. Motorcycle Superstore has your size 130/70H-17 for $86.99. You may be saying, I can't mix a radial with a bias ply. Think out-of-the-box. The first few years, Valkaryes were shipped from mother Honda with a radial on the back and a bias on front. If you don't tell the radial on back that the front is a bias, it'll never know!!!! It works for me and I'm in some of the best "twisty" country in the states. Anyways, just some food for thot. JMHO Semper-fi MIke

I appreciate the suggestion. Thank you. Do you run the tire in the same direction as if were mounted on the rear?, or flip it around and run it backwards? I am not opposed to running a rear tire on the front, heck I put a car tire on the rear. However, the tire that you suggested to me only has an "H" speed rating for up to 130mph and not that I do it often but wide open my bike will go faster than 130mph. Do you have any other rear tires to suggest that have a higher speed rating? I guess that I will need to do some looking and see what I can find in the size that I need. Also, thanks for the lead on Motorcycle Superstore, I did some quick price comparisions and that is a great price on that tire!
12volts
12volts

Back to top Go down

Post  marine-mp Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:20 am

12volt,
I run it in the correct rotation. Some mount it w/a reverse rotation, why, I don't know. As to the H rating, I don't know if that is available in the V or not. You might check it out. My size comes in the V also, but I usually ride with the wife on back, so 130mph affraid is not in the program!!!!!!! Although I've been told the Wing will do all of that. LOL Semper-fi. Mike

marine-mp

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:48 pm

I was told by a tire guru on another board, that the rear tire can be put on the front and in the right direction as the cords are made to use heavy braking in that direction as well as accelerate under torque. He also said that never use a front tire in the rear or put on backwards in the front the cords won't take the stress. It sounds logical to me but i have no experience with it.
good luck
Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  2wheeladdict Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:23 am

12volts wrote:Has or does anyone run the Avon Storm Sport Touring tires on the front of your bike? It is getting close to time for me to change the front tire on my '03 MS. I currently have a Bridgestone Exedra 130/70/17 on the front. I have not be satisfied with this tires tread life or handling characteristics, to say the least. I have heard good things about the Avon and Metzler tires, however I can not find a me880 Metzler this size. I have located an Avon Storm ST Sport Touring Front Tire AV55 ST - 130/70R17 from Phat Performance at a reasonable price and I am considering purchasing it. Before I do, I was hoping to hear from some of you that maybe running these. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
I ran that avon tire on the front of my bike last year and wasn't happy with it. It wore out just as quick as the rear avon did. Got the bridgestone you are not happy with on the front now. I'm going to replace it with a rear tire of some sorts when it is time.

2wheeladdict

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post  12volts Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:25 pm

2wheeladdict wrote:
12volts wrote:Has or does anyone run the Avon Storm Sport Touring tires on the front of your bike? It is getting close to time for me to change the front tire on my '03 MS. I currently have a Bridgestone Exedra 130/70/17 on the front. I have not be satisfied with this tires tread life or handling characteristics, to say the least. I have heard good things about the Avon and Metzler tires, however I can not find a me880 Metzler this size. I have located an Avon Storm ST Sport Touring Front Tire AV55 ST - 130/70R17 from Phat Performance at a reasonable price and I am considering purchasing it. Before I do, I was hoping to hear from some of you that maybe running these. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
I ran that avon tire on the front of my bike last year and wasn't happy with it. It wore out just as quick as the rear avon did. Got the bridgestone you are not happy with on the front now. I'm going to replace it with a rear tire of some sorts when it is time.
Avon Storm ST Sport Touring Rear Tire AV56 ST - 150/70R17. This is what I have found. Dont know if it will fit for sure, but looks like it will. Overall diam. is about 1.1" taller than the stock 130/70 and section width is about 3/4" wider. I have well over 1 1/4" clearance between the top of the stock tire and the bottom of the fender, and little over 1" to either side of the fender/forks from the stock tire. I am willing to try it. My only concern is with the larger front tire possibly causing the Meanstreak to lose a little bit of its quickness on turn ins to corners. I suppose the upside to the larger front tire would be a little bit smoother ride over rough spots in the road.
12volts
12volts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down