Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

i want to go to the DARKSIDE

+3
Steve-O
ttexastim
85V-TWIN
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

i want to go to the DARKSIDE Empty i want to go to the DARKSIDE

Post  85V-TWIN Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:26 pm

ok,after reading some posts,i am now ready to go with a c/t,right now there is a 140/90/15 on there.so will a 165/80/15 fit on my 85 vt1100 ? thanks for any help.really lookin forward to saving money !!
85V-TWIN
85V-TWIN

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2009-07-13

Back to top Go down

i want to go to the DARKSIDE Empty Re: i want to go to the DARKSIDE

Post  ttexastim Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:10 pm

Pretty sure that the 165/80/15 will fit for you. We have other mid 80's shadows that have got to it. Not sure about anything bigger though.
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  85V-TWIN Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:04 pm

any one have a link showing a mid 80's 1100 shadow with a car tire mounted ? would like to see drive shaft clearance with the tire.
85V-TWIN
85V-TWIN

Back to top Go down

Post  85V-TWIN Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:20 pm

so i take it the kuhmo 165-80-15 will work.i am going ahead and buy the tire and put it on.i hope it fits.
85V-TWIN
85V-TWIN

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:54 pm

I just looked at my manuals. One covers Shadow 1100s from 87-90(honda shop manual). The other covers 1985 to 1990(Clymer). I think you will be fine with the 165/80/15 for sure. I measured my swing arm and it was roughly 7 1/2 inches apart right in front of the tire. The fender was about the same. The 205 fits great in mine. You might be able to use a 205 if your measurements are close to the same. You may want to go for the 165 first, then move up later. I think most on this board have used it and love it! Smile
ttexastim
ttexastim

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:17 am

Not sure anyone with an 85 has tried yet, but it should not be a problem.

Width should not be an issue unless it's a chain drive. But still, the difference in 165 and 140 is not much. The 165 will be a bit taller, but fender clearance should not be an issue. Height will only be an issue if you are short in stature to begin with.

You have cast rims, right? Not spokes? Just checking.

Good luck, post pictures, and let us know how it goes.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  85V-TWIN Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:16 am

no spokes for me,only cast.thats great news bro's.i will do my best to post a pic after i get it on there.i really really appreciate the help !! in all honesty,i cant wait to get it on there.it allso makes perfect sense to me that a C/T is alot safer than a M/T.especially after i seen the video where a guy on here had the camera mounted to the bottom of the bike showing how each one rides.a big thanks goes out to the two people that gave me the link to this sight.i first seen a C/T on simpleman77's bike and new right then i wanted that as well.thanks again for verifying the 165 should fit. CHEERS Very Happy
85V-TWIN
85V-TWIN

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:49 am

Welcome to the wonderful world of the darkside. Sounds like you are going to love it! We do!

.....................bobby

ps...I was the first guy around here to run the 165/80/15 and I loved it! You will not be disappointed.

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  85V-TWIN Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:02 am

twin1300 wrote:Welcome to the wonderful world of the darkside. Sounds like you are going to love it! We do!

ps...I was the first guy around here to run the 165/80/15 and I loved it! You will not be disappointed.

thanks bro ! i can hardly wait for the 31st to get here.hopefully i can find someone around here to mount it,if not,i'll have to do it myself, either way,its going on there cause my mind is set ! oh,is it really necessary for dyna beads ? i rarely get on the interstate and my usuall top speed is 65 mph
85V-TWIN
85V-TWIN

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:58 am

85V-TWIN wrote:
twin1300 wrote:Welcome to the wonderful world of the darkside. Sounds like you are going to love it! We do!

thanks bro ! i can hardly wait for the 31st to get here.hopefully i can find someone around here to mount it,if not,i'll have to do it myself, either way,its going on there cause my mind is set ! oh,is it really necessary for dyna beads ? i rarely get on the interstate and my usuall top speed is 65 mph

Like American Express..."don't leave home without them"............ Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing I suggest them whether you ride instate or not! That's what the normal people ride in their tires, dyna beads. But.......I run these plastic pellets that they shoot in those air soft guns. Air soft pellets, but you have to put them in before you seat the bead because they will NOT go in thru the valve stem like dyna beads....JMO Just run the same amount of oz. of pellets as dyna beads and you are good.

I know...I'm a rebel without a cause, but hey! I am riding a car tire on the most dangerous vehicle on the road against cagers, so what could possibly go wrong....hehehehehe

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  85V-TWIN Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:05 am

lol,thats funny Laughing dyna beads it is.i'm a very defensive driver allways anticipating people to not see me and pull out in front of me,so,dat no big deal.nothing better to me than riding my suicidle machine !
85V-TWIN
85V-TWIN

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:43 am

You can go with stick on weights. We recommend dynabeads because they keep our tires balanced at any speed and for the life of the tire. But weights work too. I put them on and leave them on for the 1st 500 miles or so, because I put a lot of lube to get the tire on.

There is a link where I installed my tire that shows how to manually balance your wheel with stick on weights. Just do a search on the shadow forum. Has pictures too.

That Kumho should go on pretty easy. If you have changed a mc tire, you can change the Kumho. If you were going to go wideside, or with a 'non tested' tire, my answer would be different.

Good luck and post pics.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:19 pm

I don't know Steve-O ... my Kuhmo was hell! Thus me using molly grease to get it to seat. Granted ... I was trying to seat it in December when it was 35 degrees outside. Smile
ttexastim
ttexastim

Back to top Go down

Post  simpleman77 Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:01 am

Welcome, 85-Vtwin. Glad that you're getting your questions answered. Make sure to post pics when done.

Eric
simpleman77
simpleman77

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  85V-TWIN Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:40 am

simpleman77 wrote:Welcome, 85-Vtwin. Glad that you're getting your questions answered. Make sure to post pics when done.

Eric
thanks bro ! i will for sure post a pic, probably around the 5th of aug.
85V-TWIN
85V-TWIN

Back to top Go down

Post  85V-TWIN Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:32 pm

i will be able to get the tire tommorrow yea lol.i found a shop that will do it.now my question is,do people use the tire changing machine for a motorcycle rim ? dont want guy messin up my rim and like to be informed. thanks again and man i'm excited Very Happy
85V-TWIN
85V-TWIN

Back to top Go down

Post  85V-TWIN Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:25 pm

got the tire in today and eyeballed it next to the mt and the 165 looks kinda puny,i hope it widens out a lil when mounted.will see tommorrow what it looks like on the bike.might be going to a 205 next when this one wears out.
85V-TWIN
85V-TWIN

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:34 pm

Ride on this one for awhile, when you have got the feel for the darkside then go to a wider tire and then sell that one on Eb@y.
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  85V-TWIN Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:49 pm

im going to wear it out before i go to a bigger one.whats shocking is the mt looked bigger than the 165 Shocked
85V-TWIN
85V-TWIN

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:18 pm

85V-Twin here is a few photos of the 165 on a bike , just scroll down and you can see it:

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/pictures-f1/ds-ws-tread-by-bike-model-pics-comments-mar10-t607.htm

looks like the MC tire wide or about that size when mounted.
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:02 pm

To see a shadow with a 165 you can go here.

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/honda-shadow-f16/dinner-with-dark-shadows-t531.htm

The blue bike is mine, and it has the 165 Kumho on it. Next to it is David's with a nice 205. And Steve-O is next to him, with a MT. Got all 3 in one pic. Smile
ttexastim
ttexastim

Back to top Go down

Post  85V-TWIN Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:26 pm

thanks for all the help guys,its really appreciated.tire is on rim at the shop.the guy had to let the tire sit in the sun to get one side to pop .hopefully tommorrow,the other side will pop.i took him some cooking oil but he said the grease works better.anyway,with a lil luck,i'll be able to try it out tomm..i can see just by the looks of the tire how it is comparable to how a mt rides.and allso i know i can go bigger when the time comes.
85V-TWIN
85V-TWIN

Back to top Go down

Post  85V-TWIN Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:39 pm

quick update,got the tire on the bike,all i can say is.........YEA BABY lol,i absolutely love it !!!!! however i cannot go bigger as i originally thought cause of driveshaft clearance.but thats fine with me as the 165 filled out my rearend.i will run the kumho as long as i have this bike.i will allso never go back to a m/t.my review is,it does ride alot better and cornering is more stable than the mt.im not afraid of the tire coming out from under me in the curves as i was with the mt.i will post a pic as soon as i can.thanks for all the responces and help that you all gave me.so you can add me to the list of the DARKSIDE Twisted Evil as well Very Happy cheers and happy riding bro's !!!!
85V-TWIN
85V-TWIN

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:57 pm

85V-TWIN wrote:quick update,got the tire on the bike,all i can say is.........YEA BABY lol,i absolutely love it !!!!! however i cannot go bigger as i originally thought cause of driveshaft clearance.but thats fine with me as the 165 filled out my rearend.i will run the kumho as long as i have this bike.i will allso never go back to a m/t.my review is,it does ride alot better and cornering is more stable than the mt.im not afraid of the tire coming out from under me in the curves as i was with the mt.i will post a pic as soon as i can.thanks for all the responces and help that you all gave me.so you can add me to the list of the DARKSIDE Twisted Evil as well Very Happy cheers and happy riding bro's !!!!

Welcome to the darkside. Not sure why any one puts a ct on their motorcycle, but I'm glad your happy. And good luck wearing that tire out.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:42 pm

Welcome to the Darkside,
ATRUM PARS EST VALIDUS