Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

why go to the Darkside

4 posters

Go down

why go to the Darkside Empty why go to the Darkside

Post  kb9ylu Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:18 am

What im reading is you guys are getting only 11k on your tire.Then you are getting wobble? Then you need dyna beads, Then you have to find someone to mount it. It takes a lot of air pressure to get it to seat,i have WANTED to go to the Darkside but the safety issue is another thing which i have posted. So why go to the Darkside? Also cant find ANYONE to mount this c/t on my rim.So give me input i want to go but the reasons im not i have listed. In Christ

kb9ylu

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

why go to the Darkside Empty Re: why go to the Darkside

Post  midwestrider Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:17 am

Well, if you read my story about getting the beads to seat I would have to say that my problems must have been related to the tire that I chose (Bridgestone Potenza 195/65R15). It seems like other guys had no problems getting their tire to bead up and I'm guessing it's because whatever tire that had (different than mine) must have gone on easier.

As for Dyna Beads, if don't use them then you'll need to have the tire balanced. So, I don't think Dyna Beads is a reason not to use a car tire.

I can't speak to the wobble after 11K miles issue. I only have about 200 miles on my CT and so far I'm loving it. So is the wife, she said last night on her first ride that she wasn't feeling as many jolts in the seat from the smaller bumps in the road. That's good in my book, means she'll ride with me more often! Smile

In my case I was willing to do all the work associated with removing an old MT and mounting a CT, I only needed to go to someone else when my air compressor wasnt' enough to seat the bead. I realize this is not a desirable option by some. But I wasn't worried about finding someone to mount the tire for me since I knew I would be doing it myself.

I think it mostly comes down to whether or not a person has a desire to go to the Darkside. I knew I wanted to because the tire was cheaper, should last longer and I'm the kinda of guy that loves it when people talk about me and the "crazy" things I do. So going Darkside for me was a natural process.

I wish you luck in finding whomever or whatever you need to go Darkside.

Troy

Last edited by midwestrider on Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
midwestrider
midwestrider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:48 am

The Darkside is not for everyone , there are some that can't get used to the tire and have gone back to motorcycle tires.
maybe this is not for you, but it's up to you to decide , we don't say that this will fix all your tire needs but we have our likes and you have yours.
The way I drive , the weather i drive in , the roads i drive on all feel better to me now that I have tested them with my car tire.
When I had the MT on and i drove in the rain I had to take it easy in the turns and I could feel the tire hydroplaning even at slow speeds.
I know most people pull over and wait for the rain to stop , I don't , I was stationed in England and Germany for 16 years (back and forth)and if you had to wait for the rain to stop you would never get out for a ride. A good day to ride is one that you are on your bike. The way i drive ,,, yes I do scrape the pegs. The roads i drive on , well i have no say as to the condition of roads , I pay my taxes and what the government does with the money i don't know ,
it's not on road repair that's for sure. I like to drive and get myself lost, or should I say go down roads that I have never gone down before.
I have seen deer , turkeys, wild hogs, eagles, snakes and even stopped to watch a black bear eating road kill.
Sorry for the rant I guess my point is that to me the motorcycle tire can be used by everyone but the Darkside is not .
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  kb9ylu Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:41 pm

hmmm u guys got me thinking!

kb9ylu

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:20 pm

kb9ylu wrote:What im reading is you guys are getting only 11k on your tire.Then you are getting wobble? Then you need dyna beads, Then you have to find someone to mount it. It takes a lot of air pressure to get it to seat,i have WANTED to go to the Darkside but the safety issue is another thing which i have posted. So why go to the Darkside? Also cant find ANYONE to mount this c/t on my rim.So give me input i want to go but the reasons im not i have listed. In Christ

20-30k on a tire is common
Tires are actually safer in my opinion. No/reduced danger of high siding is big in my book.
It does take some higher pressure to seat the bead, but most dealers and shops will do this for you now.

Miles between tire changes is big for me. I would be at the shop every 6 months if I rode a MT. With a CT it's every 1.5 years. I put a lot of miles on my bike.

Cost of ownership is another. MTs cost 5 cents a mile. CTs are 0.4 cents per mile (that's point 4 cents..less than half a penny).

Ride is smoother.

Wet riding is exponentially safer...traction wise. Still unsafe as hell on a bike, but at least you won't hydroplane :-)

Ride is smoother

Highway riding, I don't get the back end wobble when I pass a truck on two lane roads. CTs are infinitely more stable on the superslab.

flat repair is simple. Plug and go.

uh, coolness factor?
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content