Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tube question for Wifes VLX600CD

4 posters

Go down

Tube question for Wifes VLX600CD Empty Tube question for Wifes VLX600CD

Post  jconrad2 Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:42 pm

Hellow Shadow Riders (Is that a lighter version of a DarkSider Very Happy sorry couldn't resist)

Anyway, as I mentioned in the general forum I have decided to take our bikes to the Darkside. Due to limited funds we are only spending money on "Needs" and my wifes Shadow needs a new rear tire. Soooo, she gets to go first.

I am planning on going with a 185/65/15 tire for her bike. 2 questions, 1) is that a good choice in size for her bike and 2) what size/type tube do I need to get?

I don't know much about motorcycle tubes and their sizes, my bike is tubeless and never kept any bike long enough in my youth to have to deal with it.

I do plan on getting Dynabeads for the balancing. Sealing her rims is not an option at this time due to the "Down" time. She would go nuts waiting for her bike to be rideable again, and might decide to take mine Evil or Very Mad

Thanks for the help.

Jeff
jconrad2
jconrad2

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-06-14

Back to top Go down

Tube question for Wifes VLX600CD Empty Re: Tube question for Wifes VLX600CD

Post  horseman8m Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:00 pm

just use a motorcycle inner tube , size 180-15, it will work with a tubeless tire.
I would buy a new one, I always did when I had spoke rims on my bikes.
as for the the tire size you are going to have to write down the tire size you have now
and then measure the gap around the tire to see if you have enough room OR:

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/general-motorcycle-tech-information-f14/how-to-check-to-see-if-the-tire-will-fit-your-bike-t2898.htm

that should show you how much room you have and how big you can go.
good luck, I hope that this helped.

Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  jconrad2 Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:09 am

horseman8m wrote:just use a motorcycle inner tube , size 180-15, it will work with a tubeless tire.
I would buy a new one, I always did when I had spoke rims on my bikes.
as for the the tire size you are going to have to write down the tire size you have now
and then measure the gap around the tire to see if you have enough room OR:

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/general-motorcycle-tech-information-f14/how-to-check-to-see-if-the-tire-will-fit-your-bike-t2898.htm

that should show you how much room you have and how big you can go.
good luck, I hope that this helped.

Horse

Horseman8M, she still has the original Dunny 170/80/15 tire on her bike, although there is not much tread left. Its the same tire that is on my VTX1300.

According the the reference link in the General section, the recommended DS tire max would be a 195/60/15 same for her bike and my VTX. I have read a few threads in the Shadow forum where they started with a 165 and are now considering the 185. I was hoping the 185 would work IMO it would look much better in her bike. When the time comes for my bike I am hoping to go with the 205 Wideside Look.

thanks for the info on the tube.

Jeff
jconrad2
jconrad2

Back to top Go down

Post  Otis56 Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:21 am

I'm right at 5k miles on my ct with the vlx, use the reg mt tube, yeah a new one, the 165/80/15 will be the most likely tire for her, she may not even feel the difference, I think one guy on here put the 195/--/15 on, but he hasn't posted in awhile.

I ride semi agressively, have 40k miles on my vlx that I put on it, I will go up to the 185/65/15 or 185/60/15 if and when the tread ever wears down on the 165.

There was nothing to mod when putting the 165 on my vlx.

mark f
Otis56
Otis56

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post  jconrad2 Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:03 pm

Otis56 wrote:I'm right at 5k miles on my ct with the vlx, use the reg mt tube, yeah a new one, the 165/80/15 will be the most likely tire for her, she may not even feel the difference, I think one guy on here put the 195/--/15 on, but he hasn't posted in awhile.

I ride semi agressively, have 40k miles on my vlx that I put on it, I will go up to the 185/65/15 or 185/60/15 if and when the tread ever wears down on the 165.

mark f

Hi Mark
Just curious, you suggest she should start with the 165 as you did, but you will eventually upgrade to the 185. Why would she not start with the 185? Is the handling that much different that she will need to learn to ride on a CT so she should start out narrower?

Thanks

Jeff
jconrad2
jconrad2

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:21 pm

Otis56 wrote:I'm right at 5k miles on my ct with the vlx, use the reg mt tube, yeah a new one, the 165/80/15 will be the most likely tire for her, she may not even feel the difference, I think one guy on here put the 195/--/15 on, but he hasn't posted in awhile.

mark f

I think Mark should answer all the shadow questions , he has the experience and has a way of putting it that everyone can understand , ( even me )
Very Happy Smile Laughing
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Otis56 Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:46 am

Hi Mark
Just curious, you suggest she should start with the 165 as you did, but you will eventually upgrade to the 185. Why would she not start with the 185? Is the handling that much different that she will need to learn to ride on a CT so she should start out narrower?

Thanks
Jeff

I don't know about the handling diff between the 165 and the 185, I read here and other places that the 165 handles closest to the stock mc tire, doing this will lessen the amount of differences she will feel.
Otis56
Otis56

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:17 pm

My buddy has a bike like mine with a mt on it. We swapped bikes and he could tell a big difference between my 205 and his.

I could not tell the difference in handling. So, I think there is a "getting used to it" factor. Especially the wide tire. Does your wife want looks or good handling? I"m dropping down to a 185 on my bike to get better handling. My thinking is that the wide tire is a lot about looks....at least for me.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  jconrad2 Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:40 pm

Steve-O wrote:My buddy has a bike like mine with a mt on it. We swapped bikes and he could tell a big difference between my 205 and his.

I could not tell the difference in handling. So, I think there is a "getting used to it" factor. Especially the wide tire. Does your wife want looks or good handling? I"m dropping down to a 185 on my bike to get better handling. My thinking is that the wide tire is a lot about looks....at least for me.

Hi Steve-O,
To answer your question, she is a Lady, soo it is definitely all about looks What a Face and I have to get it sounding good soon too lol!
jconrad2
jconrad2

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:53 am

Then go wide. Just take it out in a parking lot for awhile and get used to the feel of hte tire. Won't feel much different going fast, but it will feel different in slow turns. Once you get used to the new tire (and just so you know, if you put a metzler on the back you would have to get used to it too), go for it. A long drive with long sweeps is a good training ground too.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: