Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trying Different Air Pressures

+6
twin1300
Steve-O
Badmoon
horseman8m
Larry Simpson
simpleman77
10 posters

Go down

Trying Different Air Pressures Empty Trying Different Air Pressures

Post  simpleman77 Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:47 am

My bike: 2001 VLX VT-600 with Federal 165/80/15 tire. Me: 5'10" tall and 275 pounds.

O.k., I have about 500 miles on the new c/t. I ran it at 39 p.s.i. and had very few complaints. The biggest issue is getting used to dealing with uneven pavement. Seems a little more difficult on the c/t but I am adjusting. I love the way the c/t handles in the rain and at high speed on the freeway dealing with cross winds and big trucks. Seems very solid. I notice very little difference in cornering either. I also took my daughter for a ride, two up, and even that felt noticibly better than a m/t.

Now for the question. I dropped the air pressure from 39 to 35 p.s.i. a few days ago. Noticed very little difference riding at lower speeds but, last night riding on the four lane above 50 m.p.h., the bike seemed squirley. Almost felt like I had a flat or the tire was going down. It was one of the few times on this bike that I was, not scared, but on very high alert for a mechanical issue.

Putting this all into writing, it seems obvious but I wanted to throw it out to the experienced c/t riders here. It seems like I need to pump the tire back up to the 39-41 p.s.i. range. Does that sound accurate?

What will I feel if I go to high on the p.s.i.? No more than 41 p.s.i., which is the max number that I have read on this board.
simpleman77
simpleman77

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Trying Different Air Pressures Empty RE TRYING DIFFERENT AIR PRESSURES

Post  Larry Simpson Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:42 am

Your assumption sounds right to me.everyone has to play with air pressure until they find the one that feels right for them and their bike.try going a couple lbs at a time.I run mine at 32psi. but I am 5' 9" and weigh 160. running GYTT 205/60/16 found my pressure by trial and error.You will love it when you find your sweet spot and get used to it. Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Larry Simpson on Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Trying Different Air Pressures Empty Re: Trying Different Air Pressures

Post  horseman8m Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:18 am

Like Larry said but my sweet spot is between 36 and 40 psi .
Everyone has there own.
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:35 am

215-45-18 here.
Running at 36 psi. Took some time but this is where its at for me. You just have to play with pressures for a bit. You already know how it handled at the higher pressure and at the lower pressure. I would shoot for the middle and go up or down depending on the way you ride.

My .02 cents. Hope you find the happy spot. It is great when you do.

Peace.
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:53 pm

At 35 psi my tire seemed squirly too. I have mine about 40. I noticed the movement at slow speed cornering though. Seemed like it "walked" a bit during the lean. Doesn't do that at higher psi. I think all tires and all riders are different.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:48 pm

Steve-O wrote:At 35 psi my tire seemed squirly too. I have mine about 40. I noticed the movement at slow speed cornering though. Seemed like it "walked" a bit during the lean. Doesn't do that at higher psi. I think all tires and all riders are different.

It didn't walk in a lean! Trust me! We race asphalt and with our racing tires if you went up in pressure we got higher grip only until a certain extent it would NOT gain anymore grip. It's got to be mental! I just don't see it slipping! Maybe, that just me, but I can't make mine slip just leaning it thru a turn!

......................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Otis56 Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:10 pm

I started out at 41lbs, got it right at 39lbs, but am considering going back to 41lb, I think that our lighter vlx 485lb(dry), i s a major contributor to the vlx needing the higher air presures. The markings on our tires (federal) shows max presure is 44lbs, most of the others here , really all of the others here are on heavier bikes.

mark f
Otis56
Otis56

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post  simpleman77 Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Otis56 wrote:I started out at 41lbs, got it right at 39lbs, but am considering going back to 41lb, I think that our lighter vlx 485lb(dry), i s a major contributor to the vlx needing the higher air presures. The markings on our tires (federal) shows max presure is 44lbs, most of the others here , really all of the others here are on heavier bikes.

mark f

Yeah, I will go to 43 p.s.i. and then work back down toward 39.
simpleman77
simpleman77

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:43 pm

I have a 1300R with the douglas xtra trak 205/65/15.....I first started at 35 and went to 41. Rode real good there for the first 20,000 miles. I am down to 32 in it now and it is a lot smoother ride.......So after 23,000 miles I am still playing with my pressure.....And the ride is great.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:13 pm

jedishon wrote:I have a 1300R with the douglas xtra trak 205/65/15.....I first started at 35 and went to 41. Rode real good there for the first 20,000 miles. I am down to 32 in it now and it is a lot smoother ride.......So after 23,000 miles I am still playing with my pressure.....And the ride is great.

Jerry

You are just saying that because we pay you!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing You are the best Una' Jerr!

.................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Yall heard if, Unk Jer said he is still playin with it. I think we all are still playin with it. It would be no fun if you could not play with it. I like playin with mine.

Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Trying Different Air Pressures Empty RE TRYING DIFFERENT AIR PRESSURES

Post  Larry Simpson Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:19 pm

It is sure hard to take you serious anymore Moon,when I see that avatar Laughing Laughing Laughing
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Otis56 Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:54 pm

ya'll just aren't right Rolling Eyes

mark f
Otis56
Otis56

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:48 am

Badmoon wrote:Yall heard if, Unk Jer said he is still playin with it. I think we all are still playin with it. It would be no fun if you could not play with it. I like playin with mine.

Moon

Moon I think you have taken 1 to many frying pans to the head my brother..... And by the looks of your avatar, 1 to many hits from the golf club on the side of your head.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:48 am

twin1300 wrote:
jedishon wrote:I have a 1300R with the douglas xtra trak 205/65/15.....I first started at 35 and went to 41. Rode real good there for the first 20,000 miles. I am down to 32 in it now and it is a lot smoother ride.......So after 23,000 miles I am still playing with my pressure.....And the ride is great.

Jerry

You are just saying that because we pay you!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing You are the best Una' Jerr!

.................bobby

I'm still waiting for my cookie........

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:50 pm

jedishon wrote:
twin1300 wrote:

Jerry

.................bobby

I'm still waiting for my cookie........

Jerry

I bet Twin would gladly send you an empty box instead. Very Happy lol!
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:20 pm

I know he would... I might have to run over there and get one from him personally some day....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:22 pm

one thing that was been overlooked in this discussion is the shock bushings. Look at the shock bolt and see that they are centered in the shock. If they are off even a little change the bushings out and start the pressure game all over.

I run mine at 34 right now. Love the way it lays into the corners

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content