Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

350 Mile Review

+5
horseman8m
Steve-O
twin1300
jedishon
simpleman77
9 posters

Go down

350 Mile Review Empty 350 Mile Review

Post  simpleman77 Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:42 pm

Well, it has been 350 miles since I installed my Federal 165/80/15, with Dynabeads, on my 2001 Shadow VLX. All I can say is "Freakin' Wow!" Very Happy This has been the best move that I have made with that bike.

As I posted on another thread here, I had a flat rear tire on Memorial Day, on my way back from the Florida National Cemetery @ Bushnell. It was frusterating because I was taking the VLX in the very next day to get the Federal put on, anyway. This just kinda forced the issue.

Fast forward to picking the bike up from the bike shop. The guy who worked on the tire swap was really cool. When I got on the bike to leave, he walked over, smiled and said that it handled a little different, but was overall fine. This was the first Darkside swap that he had ever done and I think that he was as happy about it as I was.

Since picking the bike up, I have had occasion to ride in every type of weather, except very cold, that Florida can throw at you. I have ridden in very hot daytime, cooler nighttime, early morning fog, windy and my favorites, just after rain and, best of all, in a blinding rain storm. I can honestly say that, in all of these weather conditions, the c/t absolutely outperformed a m/t for every aspect of my riding experience. The extra grip on wet roads is incredible. I also enjoyed the water rooster that I threw during the rain storm, though I didn't have alot of time to look back, even in my mirrors. It was nighttime and raining very hard. I had to keep an eye out for deep puddles.

Today, I rode a total of about 140 miles. Some freeway (first since getting the c/t), some stop-n-go and some twistee driving. The freeway driving was a pleasant surprise. Tire was very smooth up to 75 m.p.h. but the thing that I noticed most was that there was virtually NO side to side sway from the wind. I followed a tractor trailer for awhile and I rode open road for awhile. This is the best that I have ever felt on that 475 pound bike, travelling at 75 m.p.h. in traffic. That alone sells me on the swap but, it gets better. The twistee driving that I did, while not very agressive, was, again, very confident and felt very good.

The one issue that I had was when I got a bit apprehensive when, while traveling through a 15 mile construction zone, I had to jump a 1 inch pavement lip. I did o.k., but I let myself get intimidated and the bike pulled hard in the opposite direction, away from the lip. I had to get away from it and try again. A little scary at 70 m.p.h.

I will also plug Dynabeads. I have never felt such a smooth ride. Granted, my experience is somewhat limited, but, still, this was an awsome move.

I want to thank everyone here who I have read and PM'ed about this issue. Also, thanks to the ones who have the nuts to post over on the HSN site. Were it not for you posting over there, I would not have found this site. They can be a hard bunch over there. Good hearts but set in their ways.

Eric
simpleman77
simpleman77

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

350 Mile Review Empty Re: 350 Mile Review

Post  jedishon Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:13 pm

Eric, welcome to the darkside. Nice write up and I am happy you like it. You can play with the air pressure a little and see what you like best, but it sounds like your pretty happy with the way it is. I would recomend not going above the recomended pressure though., this has a tendancy to wear out the tread in the middle of the tire. Just like a mt, imagine that.....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:26 pm

Awesome review Eric.....thanks for taking time to write!

........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:52 pm

Excellent write up Eric!

The lip on the asphault is a little different with the CT on the back. Just a little more feel to it - but you will get used to it.

Highway miles are another great test for the CT. Really sticks to the superslab

I'm fixin to go on a long ride this weekend. 1,200 miles in 4 days. Highway and twisties from Dallas to Eureka Springs, AR and back. Lot's of fun.

Only thing better is watching the Yankees loose to the Rangers at NY. Gotta love it!
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  simpleman77 Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:59 pm

Steve-O wrote:Only thing better is watching the Yankees loose to the Rangers at NY. Gotta love it!

The Rangers? Is that a baseball team? From Texas? Smile
simpleman77
simpleman77

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:47 pm

simpleman77 wrote:
Steve-O wrote:Only thing better is watching the Yankees loose to the Rangers at NY. Gotta love it!

NO I think it's a hockey team from Kalamazoo Smile Smile Smile Very Happy
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  simpleman77 Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:25 am

horseman8m wrote:
simpleman77 wrote:

NO I think it's a hockey team from Kalamazoo Smile Smile Smile Very Happy

Kalamazoo? Isn't that a musical instrument that you hum into? Razz
simpleman77
simpleman77

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:16 am

simpleman77 wrote:

Ah, so satisfying to watch the Rangers whoop up on the Yankees IN NY. That screaming you heard last night was coming from the displaced New Yorkers living next door....
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Otis56 Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:33 am

great write Eric, welcome to some finer riding.

mark f
Otis56
Otis56

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:57 pm

Awesome write up, and a very warm welcome to the club. I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Yo Steve-O ... when are you going to start inviting me to go riding with you??? Smile I want to ride to Arkansas so bad I can taste it.
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  simpleman77 Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:14 pm

Pictures fresh off the memory card! Federal 165/80/15

350 Mile Review VLXPics62009003r

350 Mile Review VLXPics62009009

350 Mile Review VLXPics62009008

350 Mile Review VLXPics62009011r
simpleman77
simpleman77

Back to top Go down

Post  moparmandjh Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:49 pm

I live just North of Eureka Springs, give me shout anytime you are heading up.
Doc
moparmandjh
moparmandjh

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2008-12-19

http://www.geocities.com/moparmandjh/rflpokerrun

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:55 am

nice photos simpleman , looks great.
thank you for posting them.
Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:16 am

Welcome to the coolest place in town.
I will be in Mt Ida Ar around the 25th of the month. Hopefully have the scooter with me. I am having to clean out my dads shop. There might even be a yard sale with some tools and shop equipment for cheap.

Ride safe and ride dark.
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum