Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AED's in the work place (UPDATE)

5 posters

Go down

AED's in the work place (UPDATE) Empty AED's in the work place (UPDATE)

Post  smokey2255 Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:39 am

updated in a post below

advance warning ** this is a rant**

I work for a major corporation that is a major power provider on the east coast with interests in other areas of the country. Most of these were aquired during a merger with another major power company. The small facility I work at has a mutual aid system in place but reaction times vary a great deal depending on which shift is on. Tonight one of my coworkers went down with a cardiac arrest. Now the company I work for recently finally bought some aed's (commonly called defibulators) we have had them on sight for about 3 months. But we have not had the training on how to use them so they are kept locked up in managements offices. I was the third person on the scene luckily one of the others there has had some outside training also and we were able to start cpr on him. It took 8 minutes for the responders to show up and then they did not come with the plant ambulance so they had to go back after it. 12 minutes into the ordeal we finally got the aed on site and hooked to our coworker. Just in time, it shocked once then we brought him the rest of the way back with compressions and ventilating. Now this guy that went down is not an older coworker, he is only 33 years old but has had some medical issues in the past(late stage colon cancer) about 20 minutes into the event the outside ems arrived on the scene and took over with their higher levels of training and capabilities.
My question to all out there is why in the hell are corporations so damn slack that they would have a valuable piece of equipment like the aed and not immediately train all employees and have it in service. An aed and o2 bottle with a fubu bag would of been extremely helpful during this event but we cannot have them out in service yet because the company has been too frigging tight to spend the money on the training. Last I saw "sweetie" yup that's what we call him (no not sweet that way) he was headed to the hospital in the back of an ambulance (I will update as I hear).
If you do not have an aed in your work place talk to your safety dept or your management bout getting one. they only cost about 1200 bucks but they can and will make a hell of a difference if and when you have an event like this. And traing facilitators can come in and train a few people for about 35 or so a head or do large groups for set fees. So for about 2000 buck most places can have an extremely effective life saving tool and qualified people to use it.

I hope Y'all have a better day than I am having.
And I apologize for the rambling nature of the above content , but shit flies through my head so much faster than I can fat finger it on the keyboard

See you out there
Smokey

Last edited by on Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

AED's in the work place (UPDATE) Empty Re: AED's in the work place (UPDATE)

Post  wayne Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:10 am

I know those 8 to 12 mins. seamed like hours for you while you were working on him.
My hat is off to you for sticking in there and doing what you can. Im sure his familey was very greatfull, even if they dont come up to you and say it

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:12 am

I hear ya' smokey......been my complaint for years. I worked high voltage substations, not only didn't they have any thing...but, no CPR training at all. It was my life I was worried about. Who's gonna save me in case of an accident.

I eventually had a company that I worked for after that....that gave the whole company training. About 4 months later an old man fell out at the karting race track and I was one of the only ones with training, so I started doing CPR and after about 10 minutes he gasp for breath. I couldn't believe it. When I looked in this guys eyes..they were grey.....NO LIFE left and he came back. I was totally and mentally exhausted. But most rewarding thing I have ever been a part of. He died a couple of weeks later in the hospital.

But still, companies should have all employees trained in CPR, of course it could be there life that's saved, but then again....WE MAY NOT!

It's really about companies not following thru or putting out the money to make life better for every one. Most get half way thru with the initial idea and then someone else drops the ball.

Good rant.............if they ever was a good one. Smokey, you picked it.

........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:01 am

With a few hours of ambulance riding under my belt. I remember my first time too. It is quite physicaly and emotionally exhausting. The adrenaline drop lands you flat on your ass. Smokey I'm sorry you had to go through that with a friend. But I know he is thankful that his friend was there to help him in his time of need.

Thoughts and Prayers Sent,
Muntz
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  cerooth Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:43 am

One would think that it should be required for all people, if not a select few to recieve the training. Since most companies don't want to pony up to train their people properly, it just gives a better reason to get the training yourself. What most places think is that once you've had the training you're fully covered, sadly it's more like Algebra, the less you use it the more often you forget what to do. I was cpr certified when I was 13 years old and though I haven't had my certification since I was 21 I still remember what to do with all the refresher courses and staff meetings to discuss the training needed. For the last three years I've fought to get the training needed not only for myself but for others at my last job. Luckily there was no inccident that required the need of such, but it's only a question of when it'll be needed. Most companies won't bother with any type of training until after an incident, and even then will barely cover what is needed.
cerooth
cerooth
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 569
Registration date : 2007-12-15

https://www.facebook.com/#!/cerooth

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:21 pm

The company I worked for had a mandatory rule that everyone had CPR training. There were enough of us that we had trainers come to the office. I know of three people that had to use it. An Adoption Counselor, an in-home crisis intervention Counselor and an in home support Homemaker all had situations come up that they needed to use it. One was an elderly adult male and the other two were younger than 6 months. My staff also had to receive training on medically contaminated sharps because the kids would bring their drugs and paraphernalia to them.

Yes, I did have a strange job. But, we had the highest success rate of any other agency.

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:16 pm

** the guy that went into cardiac arrest is alive and getting better. He is still in ICU and had some short term memory loss but that is coming around. This is one of the rarer cases that happen. Prompt action by those of us that have taken the inititive outside of work to get the training and the eventual arrival of the AED saved a life lastnight. I agree with most posts above. There is a limited liability to having an AED on site but I also feel it is a minimul risk. Here as in most states the laws are designed to protect the good samartitan. Generally if you do the right thing or don't make it worse you are protected. Even if you make an event worse as does happen on occasion you are protected as long as you are within your protocols. I myself have been a responder level for 20+ years before most states even aknowledged first responder level. I have been aed certified for well over 8 years now. Yes they are absolutely idiot proof. If you can hear and understand english and follow simple direction you can operate an AED.
I too recommend to all that basic cpr with aed and at least a basic first aid class should be in your immediate plans. As mentioned above you never know when it will be a loved one that needs you. In my past I have now succesfully brought 2 people back from the other side (the other a drowning) and have saved another half dozen or so from going over. 2 of them were my own children choking. Can you react to that, could you react to that. With the right training you can.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:22 pm

That is good news about you fellow worker and his condition. Thanks to you smokey and some others. It aint never too late to do the right thing. You got my respect. Of course you always had my respect, just trying to say good job.

........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down