Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1800vtxT Info for Darkside transition

3 posters

Go down

1800vtxT Info for Darkside transition Empty 1800vtxT Info for Darkside transition

Post  jc143413 Thu May 07, 2009 11:06 pm

I bought my new '07 1800t in Feb.and have almost 5000k on it now. I'll certainly be needing new rubber on the road before summers end. Within a week of joining VTXOA I knew that I would be going to the Darkside. I've ridden for almost 30 years but have never owned anything that would accommodate a car tire. I firmly believe that common sense dictates that I should do exactly that.

My question is this. I'm 5'6". 28" inseam riding on an Ultimate lowboy seat. I can't stand to lose any seat height. I've heard from another Darksider that at a stop that you give up a little lean simply because of the flat profile of a car tire. I can't really afford to give up the stability of that little bit of lean. Is this something that I should be concerned about or are there lower profile tires that are an option? I'd rather give up some ride comfort if I could go with a lower profile tire and gain stability than lose firm footing. I've thought about going to lower shocks but how will this affect my tire selection?

Any advice?

jc143413

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-05-07

Back to top Go down

1800vtxT Info for Darkside transition Empty Re: 1800vtxT Info for Darkside transition

Post  nodakbassmaster Fri May 08, 2009 6:45 pm

you can run anything from a 205/55 to a 205/65... obviously the 55 profile will be shorter...
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

1800vtxT Info for Darkside transition Empty Re: 1800vtxT Info for Darkside transition

Post  twin1300 Mon May 11, 2009 8:48 am

Welcome to our site and make yourself at home.

The shorter the profile the lower the tire and also the flatter the tire. Me I would stick with the profile that matches the stock motorcycle tire height and cut my seat down. I cut my own stock seat down 2" and the best thing I have done except going to the darkside. The taller the profile the softer the ride also. JMO But the I know guys running the 55 series with no issues. I think the lower shock is your best best option if you are still not happy.

.......bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

1800vtxT Info for Darkside transition Empty Tire height vs seat height

Post  jc143413 Mon May 11, 2009 6:52 pm

[quote="twin1300"]Welcome to our site and make yourself at home.

The shorter the profile the lower the tire and also the flatter the tire. Me I would stick with the profile that matches the stock motorcycle tire height and cut my seat down. I cut my own stock seat down 2" and the best thing I have done except going to the darkside. The taller the profile the softer the ride also. JMO But the I know guys running the 55 series with no issues. I think the lower shock is your best best option if you are still not happy.

.......bobby

Thanks Bobby, I replaced the stock seat within a week of buying the bike with an Ultimate Lowboy set.The stock seat almost crippled me after 3-4hrs but I've put 10 on the ultimate and could have kept going,it also lowered me 1-2". Lower shocks will be my next mod purchase after driving lights. I've already purchased those just need to install. I'll have to make the decision about the tire profile within the next couple of months. We're going to Yellowstone in August and I'll replace the stock before then so ride comfort will be a primary consideration.

Thanks again for your input,

Joe

jc143413

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum