Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Substitute for Honda Moly paste?

+3
smokey2255
ttexastim
hasbro56
7 posters

Go down

Substitute for Honda Moly paste? Empty Substitute for Honda Moly paste?

Post  hasbro56 Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:38 pm

Just got my Hydroedge mounted on the wheel, but can't find anything that is specifically moly paste so I can put it back on the bike. Closest thing I can find is a Bel-Ray product that says it can be used as an anti-seize lubricant and contains moly, but doesn't say how much. I hate to wait until tomorrow for the local Honda shop to open. Think this is a decent substitute?

Bel-Ray Assembly Lube

Bel-Ray Assembly Lube is a high Molylube solids content assembly lubricant. It is impervious to water and not affected by most acids and alkalis. It prevents galling and seizing of fasteners, press-fit components and spline connections under high loads for later easy removal and disassembly. Its exceptional anti-wear and lubricating properties will minimize wear during break-in.

hasbro56

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Substitute for Honda Moly paste? Empty Re: Substitute for Honda Moly paste?

Post  ttexastim Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:47 pm

Isn't moly grease just Wheel bearing grease with a fancy name? I heard that somewhere, and that's what I used when greasing my splines. If someone knows the answer to this, I'd love to hear it!
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:11 pm

Molypaste i much thicker than the belray. I looked at it too but did not use it. The only substitute I have found was from loctite comes in a can with applicator like anti sieze does. Good stuff and a lot cleaner than the tume you get from a dealer.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  hasbro56 Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:35 pm

Well, I looked at some tech info on the Bel-Ray and it looked like it had a good amount of moly in it, didn't have any grease, did not dry out, and otherwise looked okay, so I gave it a shot. I'm hoping somebody has a definite answer, but if not, I'll pick up some Honda paste this week and pull the wheel off again. I rode about 40 miles tonight, mostly freeway, and hub did not get hot or make any noises. Once I figured out the angles to get the wheel under the fender without binding on the brake rotor it wasn't so hard to get lined up. Somebody on this forum had suggested taking off the plastic hub cover, and that made it much easier.

Thanks for your replies. I've been lurking for a week or so while I decided whether to go Dark, and really appreciate all the information you've all been willing to share. I'll post comments about the new tire in a separate thread.

hasbro56

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post  GarMan Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:33 pm

Moly paste is different from moly grease.. Like said before, it looks like never sieze... not like grease. You could probably get by using the moly grease if you changed it out every 5K miles or so when you changed MC tires, but with the darkside you may go 20K miles or more, so I wouldn't even think of using anything else but the high percentage moly paste! (Just my opinion). I used the loctite version. Very thick stuff!!!
GarMan
GarMan

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post  pgr_boo Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:24 pm

I'm laughing my ass off right now. I googled molybdenum paste and wound up here. I'm searching for it because I'm going darkside lololololol.

pgr_boo

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:23 pm

pgr_boo wrote:I'm laughing my ass off right now. I googled molybdenum paste and wound up here. I'm searching for it because I'm going darkside lololololol.

Aint that a stroke of luck! LOL

.......................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  pgr_boo Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:55 am

twin1300 wrote:
pgr_boo wrote:I'm laughing my ass off right now. I googled molybdenum paste and wound up here. I'm searching for it because I'm going darkside lololololol.

Aint that a stroke of luck! LOL

.......................bobby

It wath jutht meant to be! Thuper!

pgr_boo

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:13 pm

I'd wonder about the chain lube I have - it's liquid coming out and penetrates to turn into grease. That would be neat for you guys if you had a hole to shoot it through, so you'd not have to remove the wheel to do the spline.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum