Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GYTT is on the bike

+3
AKACully
jedishon
arch01
7 posters

Go down

GYTT is on the bike Empty GYTT is on the bike

Post  arch01 Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:03 pm

Well, for the past year I have been a member of this board peeling down the rubber on a dunlop 404. For the past 30 minutes I have been a member of the DARKSIDE. I've got my hidden hitch up in there and at first glance there seems to be no clearance issues. Now I've got to take it out on the road and see what we get. I was going to tear down the fender and check the clearances with just the sub-frame, but the tire came out to be a lot narrower after it was mounted and is well within the tolerances that I know that I have. I will still tear it down, just not now.

I'd like to say a big THANKS to everyone on this board for the information and the brotherhood.

I'm off to explore the Darkside.

Chris

Hitch - https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/vtx-1300-tech-f11/tail-draggin-on-the-dark-side-t2558.htm

And BTW it took about 95 PSI to seat the GYTT.

arch01

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

GYTT is on the bike Empty Re: GYTT is on the bike

Post  jedishon Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:44 pm

Welcome to the darkside.... You held out a long time....I think Moon is the only other person that waited a year...... Time to enjoy it now

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  AKACully Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:16 am

Welcome to the darkside. You'll love it!
AKACully
AKACully

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:45 am

Welcome to the wonderful world of the darkside...................... Very Happy Post some pics when you get a chance?????

............................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  arch01 Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:04 pm

Here are the pics.

VTX 1300R Darkside

I gotta say that I am loving this. With about 350 miles on the tire, I am not sure why everyone with a big cruiser does not do this. The tire was a bit wide from the shop and I was not sure it would work, even though all you guys said it would be fine. Once mounted, the tire was 7.5" wide and fit just barely. I do think it is rubbing on something and still have to remove the fender to re-check clearance with my hitch.

Thanks again guys and See ya out there.

arch01

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:24 pm

jedishon wrote:Welcome to the darkside.... You held out a long time....I think Moon is the only other person that waited a year...... Time to enjoy it now

Jerry

Hay I resemble that remark. I got in a little over 200 miles today. Lovin every minute of it.
GYTT is on the bike SANY0029

GYTT is on the bike SANY0031

GYTT is on the bike SANY0032

https://2img.net/h/i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg32/badmoon_2008/SANY0027.jpg
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

GYTT is on the bike Empty I also went with the GYTT.

Post  terryjr68 Wed May 06, 2009 9:18 pm

Hello,

Newbie here. I just installed my GYTT 195-65-15. I have the luxury of working for a tire shop so I didnt have to hassle with someone else working on my ride. (2007 VTX 1300R) What size are you running? What air pressure? How long did it take to feel "normal" I just did this tonight only have about 25 miles on my new tire. I am running 45 psi with the stock 404 on the front. It seems ok but feels a lil squirly in the turns. Will this change after the tire breaks in?

Terry

terryjr68

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Thu May 07, 2009 1:03 am

you get used to it and start to trust the tire.
Welcome to the Darkside both of you
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  arch01 Thu May 07, 2009 8:57 am

terryjr68 wrote:What size are you running? What air pressure? How long did it take to feel "normal" I just did this tonight only have about 25 miles on my new tire. I am running 45 psi with the stock 404 on the front. It seems ok but feels a lil squirly in the turns. Will this change after the tire breaks in?

Terry,

I am running a 205/70/15 with 35 PSI. It looks a little low while it is on the side-stand, but it rides better than when it was at 45. It did seem a bit squirly at first, every time I went into a turn the rear end seemed to kick out in the opposite direction, kinda like when you goose the throttle in a turn a MCT slides a bit. The tire was not sliding, just rotating up onto the edge a bit and, in that, the center of pivot was no longer along the center of the bike. This either went away, or I no longer notice it. I'd put at least 300 miles on the tire before you get agressive with it. That will allow you to remove the mold release agent as well as form a better idea of how well you like it. At this point I have over 1400 miles on the tire and I am back to scraping the floorboards in the turns. I am still a little overcautious in wet weather turns, but I'm not sure I think that will ever go away.

Keep the shiny side up.

Chris

arch01

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Thu May 07, 2009 7:15 pm

I like the rain , it's not the rain that bothers me, it's the lighting hitting the ground within 150 feet from me , then i got to pull over and find a place to hide.
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down