Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I finally found the leak!!!

2 posters

Go down

I finally found the leak!!! Empty I finally found the leak!!!

Post  ttexastim Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:15 am

So I've had this nagging oil leak on my bike for the past 6 months. I have always thought it was coming from the left side starter gear cover. Yesterday I ripped things apart, and did some careful analysis. Like last time I did this, I couldn't find a single reason that it should be leaking. While it was off, I added a helicoil to one bolt hole to fix some stipped threads.

This time, I did notice that the starter gear cover has a vent tube that goes through it. Basically it helps any liquid that might gather on a top groove in the crankcase to drain.

I buttoned everything back up. The newly repaired threads worked awesome, and I knew that there was not going to be a problem due to lack of torque on the cover. After running it for a few minuts, once again, I saw a drop of oil on the ground.

With flashlight in hand, I checked the top of the crankcase this time, where that vent tube starts. BINGO! I saw that oil is leaking out of the seal around the stator wires.

I am sooo excited that I found it. So next week I'll be ordering the parts from bikebandit and I'll be taking the left crankcase cover off to make the repair.

While I'm in there, I'm going to replace the clutch rod seal, the shift peg seal, and the O-ring that goes under the guide plug that seems to be a problem in shadows. Can anyone think of anything else that I should do while I've got the left crankcase cover off?
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

I finally found the leak!!! Empty Re: I finally found the leak!!!

Post  jedishon Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:52 am

I could be a smart alec and say as long as your taking it apart go ahead and pull the heads bore them out and make yourself a 1300. But I'm a nice guy that always keeps his mouth shut......
Nope cant think of anything else Tim, but thanks for asking.........

Just Messing With You Brother
Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:59 am

LOL!

I guess I shouldn't expect a serious response in this forum full of clowns! lol! lol! lol!

bwahahahahaha!
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum