Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

want to go to darkside

+2
Goose
heb4an12
6 posters

Go down

want to go to darkside Empty want to go to darkside

Post  heb4an12 Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:01 pm

hey guys,today is my birthday(63) and I would like to know if possible to put ct on 1986 1100c shadow.Wife said I could lol just cause it was my birthday and maybe I would quit talking about the darkside if I just went ahead and tried it.I live in bama and am going to ride to Tx in about two weeks and would like to make the change.Was wondering if anyone else has did it with this year bike.
Thanks for all the info on this site.Love to read all about bikes

heb4an12

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Back to top Go down

want to go to darkside Empty Re: want to go to darkside

Post  Goose Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:29 pm

Hey heb4an12, here is a web site that may help in sizeing up that tire [ http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos ] if you let us know what size is on it now maybe some of us can help? [GOOSE]
Goose
Goose

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2008-11-17

http://kawanow.proboards77.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:38 pm

http://www.cmsnl.com/img/model/honda-vt1100c-shadow-1100-1986-us_medium9281.jpg

That bike looks similar to the 2004 1100 that I have. Shaft drive? You should be able to use the 165/80 for sure. What size tire is on there now?

I like the 85 shadows. Nice looking bikes. Let us know if you need any help getting the tire on!
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  heb4an12 Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:30 am

thanks guys,yes it is shaft drive and have a me880 140/90/15B.also wondering if anybody has their own tire changer and will the bike changer work on these ct's.
Steve i have read lots of your post on shadow forum ,great info thank you

heb4an12

Back to top Go down

Post  Goose Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:52 am

Hey heb4an12, I've got a tire changer from HarborFreightTools w/Motorcycle Adapter it worked for me, cost about $120 want to go to darkside GOINGDARKSIDEGHANGINGTIRES008 want to go to darkside GOINGDARKSIDEGHANGINGTIRES012 [GOOSE]
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:56 pm

heb4an12 wrote:thanks guys,yes it is shaft drive and have a me880 140/90/15B.also wondering if anybody has their own tire changer and will the bike changer work on these ct's.
Steve i have read lots of your post on shadow forum ,great info thank you

You flatter me. thanks. Here is a list of tested tires on our VT1100Cs
https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/honda-vt-1100-f16/cts-for-1100s-t489.htm

I would highly recommend you go with the Kumho 165 to start. It will be a tad wider and a little taller than what you are riding, but will act and feel almost exactly like your current tire. Just a little getting used to with slow cornering, and your butt WILL be aware of the new tire. You will feel the road with the larger contact patch.

You can expect 20k miles on this tire, so be sure to pull the back wheel off at 15k and grease the splines.

If you can make it to Ennis, I can see if Dave is interested in helping you (us) install the tire. The local wal mart carries it for $65. We'll take you for a test drive afterwards. Let us know. He's DS-wingnut on here.

Good luck!
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  heb4an12 Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:29 am

goose thanks for the pic's and info.
steve hate to keep worring ya but have more questions than money.Right now with the tire I am running I have half inch clearance on the drive shaft side.Is this about what yall had before changing to the ct.Iam looking at the tire you recommened.Hope to get it done this week maybe.One shop in town will change it for me but not inflate it for 15 bucks.Sounds like a deal .this way I can put in the beads also.
Again thanks
the kumho 165 I looked up says radial my ? are they all radial.MY front tire is metzler and think is is bias does this matter.I have tire off now and have 7 and a quarter inch between swing arm and drive shaft and when my tire is on I have half inch inch between it and drive shaft.I might be making a mountain out of a mole hill. Thanks guys

heb4an12

Back to top Go down

Post  heb4an12 Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:45 am

found a federal and a nexam in town and am thinking about the federal.Dont guess their is a direction you put the tire on like with the arrow on a m/t

heb4an12

Back to top Go down

Post  heb4an12 Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:21 am

came up with the cash so going to get the federal mounted this morning and pray it will fit 165-80-15 mag wheel.Wish me luck.
Dont know how to post pis yet but soon as i learn will put them on.
Thanks for all the info this site provides

heb4an12

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:19 am

1/2 " clearence sounds like what I had. the federal 165 should work just fine.
Put it on based on the directional arrow.
Bias in front and radial in back doesn't matter.
send me a pm and i'll send you my email address. Send me the pictures and I'll post them. There is also a sticky about posting pics if you want to try it yourself.

"Won't inflate it?" They will set the bead, right? Make sure they do this. Make sure they don't put a lot of "goop" in the tire or the dynabeads will clump up (not work). It needs to be dry in the tire for them to work right. 3 or 4 oz of dynabeads is recommended.

Don't worry about asking too many questions. It's quite normal to be a bit apprehensive about putting a ct on your bike. But once you do it, all worries will go away.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

If you burst into flames, send us the hospital address and room number...we have a special flower fund here.... (just kidding!)
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  heb4an12 Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:15 am

well its done and I LIKE IT.did not know their was a directional arrow on the car tire,I will have to go and check but we are in severe weather now and its in the barn.
Thanks i love it but dang this weather.Finally got it done and cant ride.
Thanks again

heb4an12

Back to top Go down

Post  Goose Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:45 pm

ENJOY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![GOOSE]
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Post  heb4an12 Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:42 pm

Very Happy thanks Goose i did.The weather cleared up so we went for a ride to pick up some beads.Rode 176 miles round trip and it was GREAT.Cant see any big diff in the ct except for the big grin on my face and extra money in pocket.I really like the ct cause it is different and THEY say we cant do it lol.
Thanks again to everone that has post on this forum,it really helped me understand and make up my mind. It also looks cool.

heb4an12

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:55 pm

heb4an12 wrote:well its done and I LIKE IT.did not know their was a directional arrow on the car tire,I will have to go and check but we are in severe weather now and its in the barn.
Thanks i love it but dang this weather.Finally got it done and cant ride.
Thanks again

The 165's are non-directional so they don't have an arrow, because it doesn't make a difference which way you install it! Congrats, you are going to love it more and more!

Darkside Rulz!

....................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Goose Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:23 pm

heb4an12 wrote:Very Happy thanks Goose i did.The weather cleared up so we went for a ride to pick up some beads.Rode 176 miles round trip and it was GREAT.Cant see any big diff in the ct except for the big grin on my face and extra money in pocket.I really like the ct cause it is different and THEY say we cant do it lol.
Thanks again to everone that has post on this forum,it really helped me understand and make up my mind. It also looks cool.
Hey heb4an12, get us some pictures of that thing when you can? We would like to check-it out!!!!!! [GOOSE]
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Post  heb4an12 Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:15 am

hey guys wish us luck.We are leaving this morning from College station Tx o the way to home sweet alabama.Looks like we are going to get a LITTLE lol wet.We hope to kinda stay between the storms but if not we wont melt.Going to stay in Alexandria La tonight,then on to Laurel Miss the next morn.
Hope to stop in under the hill tomorrow if the weather permits.Way its looking we might have to gamble just to dry off Smile LOving the ct ride
want to go to darkside Txvacation014

heb4an12

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:47 am

heb4an12 wrote:hey guys wish us luck.We are leaving this morning from College station Tx o the way to home sweet alabama.Looks like we are going to get a LITTLE lol wet.We hope to kinda stay between the storms but if not we wont melt.Going to stay in Alexandria La tonight,then on to Laurel Miss the next morn.
Hope to stop in under the hill tomorrow if the weather permits.Way its looking we might have to gamble just to dry off Smile LOving the ct ride
want to go to darkside Txvacation014

Heban,

If you stop in Natchez, find a place not far from the "under the hill" called "Biscuits and Blues"! Awesome place to eat and if you want some of the best seafood and steaks....cross the river going east and get off as soon as the bridge guard rail ends at "the Sand Bar". Good luck and have a safe trip!

......................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Otis56 Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:05 am

welcome to the darkside,

I have the federal too, had it on since 10/08, great tire.

mark f
Otis56
Otis56

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:45 pm

Welcome and glad your liking it....... Stop at Twins on the way thru La....he has your cookie. Unless he ate it.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down