Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Still looking for my name on that Darkside list!

4 posters

Go down

Still looking for my name on that Darkside list! Empty Still looking for my name on that Darkside list!

Post  Patch Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:43 pm

Just passed 600 miles on the hydro-edge and loving it! I did notice a different noise when riding higher speed in the rain. It about drove crazy trying to figure out what it was until it hit me, this tire throws the water out to the sides. It makes a sound only slightly higher pitched than driving through a puddle and it is sustained. Once I realized what it was I didn't really notice it anymore, just a new sound is what got my attention. I have increased the air to 42 lbs. from 40 lbs. just because it feels a better to me, but other than that, I don't think I would change anything. My speedometer is 4 mph higher than actual speed at 75 mph. A cop friend of mine checked it with his radar gun and had just had it calibrated the week before. So when my speedo says 75, My actual speed is 71. Not bad at all as far as I am concerned.
Patch
Patch

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-05-12

http://scottsprojects.synthasite.com/

Back to top Go down

Still looking for my name on that Darkside list! Empty Still looking for my name on that Darkside list!

Post  VeeTeeXR Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:51 pm

I'm just at a week on the same tire myself. I'm almost wishing for rain, just to see how it handles.
I did, however, have to lock 'em up the other morning when a DA pulled out in front of me. It sure does grab the tar a lot better than the stock MT.
I'm gonna pump up the pressure from 35 to see how/if it handles differently.
Currently, the only differences I've noticed is the the bike likes to be verticle. I have to counter-steer into a turn vs just leaning. ANd there's a little "wobble" when straightening back up. And yes, it does like to go with the grooves in the road.
My biggest gripe is finding someone to mount the tire for me. I had a shop that said they would, but when I pulled the tire and made it over there, they told me tey wouldn't, as the tire wouldn't fit, the tire wouldn't work even if they could mount it, and that at 75 MPH the tire shake would be soo much that it would thow me off the bike. They actually said that at 75 MPH the tire shake would THROW ME OFF THE BIKE. Uh, I guess I blew right through 75 MPH, cause at 95 I only slowed 'cause I ran out of road. Yes, I was still on the bike.

Anyway, I was driving away, pissed off, and saw a new shop down the road, pulled in and asked if they would mount it. I told them I'd sign a release, pay in cash, whatever they wanted. They told me the less paperwork, the better, and for $50 cash, they get it on there. They did. I even gave the guy that did it $10 extra. Sorry, I'm a single father of two boys, so I gotta be cheap sometimes.

Moral of the story? I don't know if there is one, but if there is, it would be something along the lines of "Just do waht I'm asking you to do and I'll deal with the consequences, if any".

And if you're in the DFW area of Texas, and need someone to mount a CT, give me a shout, and I'll tell who did it for me.
And if you'd like to remove the tire from the bike yourself (save a few more $s), let me know and I'll bring over my lift.

Yes, I'm likin' it on the Darkside. Does this mean I can now use the Darkside pix in my signature?

Thanks for all those that "talked" me into it.

Kevin

VeeTeeXR

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Still looking for my name on that Darkside list! Empty Re: Still looking for my name on that Darkside list!

Post  jedishon Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:37 am

Patch it sounds like you have the mold release wore off. Good tip on the rain noise...

VeeTeeXR, Welcome to the darkside. Seems like you went through what I did. First place said yes and when I showed up he told me no. And that I wouldn't be happy with it, the side walls are to soft and the tire would colapse when I tried to corner..... Found a local one man shop to do it for $10. Don't worry you will be hearing that it wont work for as long as you run a ct.....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Still looking for my name on that Darkside list! Empty 2800 miles and loving it!

Post  Patch Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:46 pm

I just wanted to give an update after a few more miles. I drive to work 69 miles each way on my usual rout. I just passed 2800 miles on the Michelin and no problems with the tire, However, I did have to replace the valve stem, I hope to remember to do that at tire change next time. Upon replacing the tire on the wheel I had a leak issue. Although the tire reseated at about 50 lbs., it had a slow leak. I went to our tire guy at work for advise. He double checked the seating and valve stem and found them both correct. He suggested the old tire slime and put it in for me. No more slow leak, but I was concerned about the tire slime causing other problems. I have talked to a few people about it including a tire guy at wally world where I bought the tire. He has been darkside for five years on harleys and told me that he always slimes after the first hundred miles because for some reason the tire pressure drops with no explanation. I had not read that here, (maybe I missed it?), and thought it may be good info to pas along.
Patch
Patch

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-05-12

http://scottsprojects.synthasite.com/

Back to top Go down

Still looking for my name on that Darkside list! Empty Re: Still looking for my name on that Darkside list!

Post  twin1300 Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:00 pm

You are up Patch! Thanks for wanting on the list!

...................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down