Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Are Dark, Finally, After signing a release from the dealer......Next up

+8
twin1300
smokey2255
cannonFL
Morgan Buchanan
nodakbassmaster
spud1800r
Dan
DJTENN
12 posters

Go down

We Are Dark, Finally, After signing a release from the dealer......Next up Empty We Are Dark, Finally, After signing a release from the dealer......Next up

Post  DJTENN Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:51 pm

Bike Week and Key West here we come. Ya'll tell me how long to break in?
Dyna-beads and all. Thanks everyone for your help.
Michelin Hydo-edge and new Metz 880 front.

D

Last edited by DJTENN on Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

DJTENN

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Back to top Go down

We Are Dark, Finally, After signing a release from the dealer......Next up Empty Re: We Are Dark, Finally, After signing a release from the dealer......Next up

Post  Dan Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:53 pm

Read all the threads you can on this board. I've never read or heard of anyone losing the bead seal on their CT, unless it was run flat a while. The mounter is just covering his ass, don't let it concern you study The proof is here, Michelin is an excellent choice, and well documented. Good Luck
Dan
Dan

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

We Are Dark, Finally, After signing a release from the dealer......Next up Empty all i've heard

Post  spud1800r Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:30 pm

I waited and read all I could before making the switch. Wish I had done it last year. It took me about 200 miles to forget a car tire was under me. And the 1 thing that bothers me is that when i roll it out of the garage to warm it up, into the driveway, which is sloped, it rolls down by itself, with the kickstand down. HHMMM ...less rolling restance, maybe better gas mileage???
Seriously, no regrets here, don't see myself going back to a m/t .
Craig
spud1800r
spud1800r

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

We Are Dark, Finally, After signing a release from the dealer......Next up Empty Re: We Are Dark, Finally, After signing a release from the dealer......Next up

Post  nodakbassmaster Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:06 am

yup, welcome.... read up and decide for yourself!
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Morgan Buchanan Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:32 pm

To be concise, there have been a few who didn't like it and went back. It's less than 1 in 20 that doesn't like it and goes back. I wouldn't be AGAINST a bike tire, myself... They have good characteristics as well. But on my cruiser, the balance sheet is in favor of the car tire. YMMV and all that. But disaster has been pretty undocumentable. We just haven't had catastrophes occurring, regardless of what the doomsayers have predicted.
Morgan Buchanan
Morgan Buchanan

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

We Are Dark, Finally, After signing a release from the dealer......Next up Empty Less Rolling Resistance

Post  cannonFL Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:51 pm

I just went Darkside two days ago...

You're absolutely right on how much easier it is to roll the bike. I was also thinking that it may get better gas mileage. I guess time will tell.

By the way, I can take corners and turns quite a bit faster without feeling like I'm going to dump the bike. You really do feel planted to the road.
cannonFL
cannonFL

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-10-16

http://www.myspace.com/cannonfls

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:37 pm

DJ
Like everyone else says the installer is covering his ass telling you that. He is also talking out his ass. Mount it, throw the beads in it when you do and take off on a 10,000 mile trip. You will not regret it. Morganbuchanon said that it is less than 1 in 20 that goes back to a MC tire. I think he is being way conservative in that figure, there are several hundred of us here and thousands others out there. I only know of 4 that have gone back to the MC tire. For them it was a mental block they just couldnt get over. You will have those.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:24 am

Check out this link I wrote this to someone who had questions about the darkside. My friend Smokey made a stickie out of it! This will answers a lot of you questions, if you haven't read it!

Congrats on coming to the site and we welcome any of your questions. Collect all the data, so you can make an educated decision! (But remember, listen to the guys who have tried it and not the guys that are guessing!) Good luck!

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/general-discussion-f6/not-a-stupid-questionwhy-a-car-tire-t396.htm

........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  joe mama Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:38 pm

Cool Do not sweat it!! I had my tire installed. Had a day to run the bike. Next am headed to Mexico with wife and load for four days. Bike ran like a champ. The ride was smooth and sweet... Very Happy
joe mama
joe mama

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:31 am

it'll be fine!
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Morgan Buchanan Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:09 pm

a little less than 1 in 20 is still less than 1 in 20. A LOT less than 1 in 20 is still less than 1 in 20. LOL

I know another local Texan who went back, just couldn't get used to it, and this is a guy who puts on a LOT LOT LOT of miles. IIWII. I'd rather be conservative and not get screamed at by the odd person who's disappointed rather than try to get an exact number and have someone base their expectations on the experiences of others. I prefer to say, "Try it yourself. Don't listen to THEM because they haven't tried it, and don't listen to ME because *I* am not *YOU*."
Morgan Buchanan
Morgan Buchanan

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Phantom Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:49 pm

Just went to the Darkside yesterday. Left yesterday around 12:30 pm and did not get home til 11:00 pm last nite. After riding on my Goodyear assurance tripletred 205/60R/16 all day, I can tell you this, I will be a Darksider from now on. It took me a few miles to get use to the cornering, but other than that, it is a much better ride, much smoother. I read up as much as I could for about the last year, researched tires online and reading what people said about the different tires they were running as far as height and width and so on, and finally made my decision about a week ago realizing that it was time to replace my tire anyway. I am extremely pleased with the decision to go to the Darkside. As said, read all you can and ask questions, and make your decision.

Last edited by Dark Phantom on Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mistake)
Dark Phantom
Dark Phantom

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-10-12

Back to top Go down

We Are Dark, Finally, After signing a release from the dealer......Next up Empty DarkSide 2+ years

Post  yank Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:52 pm

As they say, to each their own, 2+years, 15000+ miles, my son has fits about it( he rides a FJR1300)
And the old man pushes the s**t out of him in the corners, he hasn't figured it out yet HaHA.
Its different yes, but to me better. And NO their not for sport bikes.

Doug
yank
yank

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  studdog Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:12 pm

I researched this site and others for months. I got bazillions of folks telling me it was all bad. But not one of them had ever tried it. I have never heard from anyone who tried it that bad-mouthed it. Like the others, I only personally know a couple who tried it and went back to a m/c tire. And in both cases it had nothing to do with safety or handling. It was just something they didn't like, and in my opinion it was 99% between the ears. Throw that rascal on, take a few miles to get used to it and scuff it up and then spend a little time abusing it. I love the performance but the thought that I'm no longer on the hook for 500.00 in tires every other oil change ain't bad either.
studdog
studdog

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down