Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speedo housing rattle fix

+2
magsemail
Biddy
6 posters

Go down

Speedo housing rattle fix Empty Speedo housing rattle fix

Post  Biddy Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:30 pm

http://tech.vtxoa.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=26&id=184&artlang=en

Biddy
Biddy
Biddy
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Speedo housing rattle fix Empty Re: Speedo housing rattle fix

Post  magsemail Wed May 05, 2010 2:17 am

Biddy - That URL isn't working. Could you find the fix and re-post. It would be greatly appreciated.

Hubby dumped my bike last year, and killed my gas tank. Stealership put a new one on, and I have the rattle / excessive buzzing coming from the speedo.

I ordered from Ron Ayers - the rubber piece for the front of the tank (going over the bracket 17511-KGB-610 RUB,FR.FUEL TANK - $3.04), ordered the square looking piece for the end of the tear drop area (17624-MEA-670 Cushion, FR. - $1.44), and the very slim foam piece to go in between the speedo window and the housing (17622-MEA-670 Seal, FR.TOP COVER - $2.88) TO NO AVAIL.

Tank
17622-MEA-670 (Seal, FR.TOP COVER) - $2.88
17624-MEA-670 (Cushion, FR.) - $1.44
17511-KGB-610 (RUB,FR.FUEL TANK) - $3.04

What now? The buzzing / rattling is driving me CRAZY! Evil or Very Mad It is so loud, I can hear it over my Cobra Dragster pipes with Quiet Core baffles. Even with the baffles the bike is LOUD, but the rattling is even louder. Shocked
magsemail
magsemail

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Wed May 05, 2010 3:24 am

Just FYI.
I had a rattle that I hunted for a while and it ended up in my Headlight bucket. I just added some stuffing (fire retardent) in the bucket and the rattle went away. The buzzing was driving me nuts as well.

Hope this can help someone.

Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed May 05, 2010 7:02 am

magsemail wrote:Biddy - That URL isn't working. Could you find the fix and re-post. It would be greatly appreciated.

Hubby dumped my bike last year, and killed my gas tank. Stealership put a new one on, and I have the rattle / excessive buzzing coming from the speedo.

I ordered from Ron Ayers - the rubber piece for the front of the tank (going over the bracket 17511-KGB-610 RUB,FR.FUEL TANK - $3.04), ordered the square looking piece for the end of the tear drop area (17624-MEA-670 Cushion, FR. - $1.44), and the very slim foam piece to go in between the speedo window and the housing (17622-MEA-670 Seal, FR.TOP COVER - $2.88) TO NO AVAIL.

Tank

What now? The buzzing / rattling is driving me CRAZY! Evil or Very Mad It is so loud, I can hear it over my Cobra Dragster pipes with Quiet Core baffles. Even with the baffles the bike is LOUD, but the rattling is even louder. Shocked

For the speedo rattle you needto get some small O-rings. I forget what size. Just take off one of the screws and get one that fits it, get one for each of the mounting screws. Then lift the housing up and put one on each of the mounting posts. Put the screws back in and your done. If you can't find O-rings rubber washers should work just as well.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  magsemail Wed May 05, 2010 8:08 am

Thanks jedishon. I know the rattle is coming from the speedo, because when I push on the plastic housing, the rattling stops. I can also push on the very back top of the tank covering (where the top decorative screws are near the tripometer button) and it stops also.

Problem is, I can't go down the road with one hand on the speedo cover, and one hand on the throttle. I could, but it doesn't make it much fun to do so.

I will try the suggestion of o-rings. Can't hurt, I have already spent money to fix, will try it and report back.
magsemail
magsemail

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed May 05, 2010 8:42 am

magsemail wrote:Thanks jedishon. I know the rattle is coming from the speedo, because when I push on the plastic housing, the rattling stops. I can also push on the very back top of the tank covering (where the top decorative screws are near the tripometer button) and it stops also.

Problem is, I can't go down the road with one hand on the speedo cover, and one hand on the throttle. I could, but it doesn't make it much fun to do so.

I will try the suggestion of o-rings. Can't hurt, I have already spent money to fix, will try it and report back.

You can look here and get all the answers you ever wanted. http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1937580
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  Biddy Wed May 05, 2010 9:23 am

magsemail wrote:Biddy - That URL isn't working. Could you find the fix and re-post. It would be greatly appreciated.

Tank

Magsemail I see the link is no longer good, sorry about that. I hear you loud and clear too, both headlight or speedo buzzing can drive you over the edge. I also used some small o-rings for the speedo buzz and it did the trick for me 100%. Cool Good luck!

Biddy
Biddy
Biddy
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed May 05, 2010 9:58 am

Magsemail I see the link is no longer good, sorry about that. I hear you loud and clear too, both headlight or speedo buzzing can drive you over the edge. I also used some small o-rings for the speedo buzz and it did the trick for me 100%. Cool Good luck!

Biddy

Thanks for coming by Biddy! It was good conversing with you the other day! Take care!

If you do get another link up on stuff like this, come re-post it?

Thanks..................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Biddy Wed May 05, 2010 10:49 am

twin1300 wrote:
If you do get another link up on stuff like this, come re-post it?

Thanks..................bobby

Was good talking with you too Bobby, the time sure flies by and it's been too long. Wink

I was able to find this info by Poison

Speedo rattle fixed

Posted By: Pöi§ön

I’ve had an annoying speedo rattle since my 13ooC was new. Took care of it a few days ago and thought I’d share since it seems to have taken care of it. Used some #7 rubber "O" rings I found in Lowes plumbing department. $1.50 for a ten pack. Here is the step by step:

Remove the gas cap. Loosen the upper 4 mounting screws. Remove the bottom three, and tilt the speedo unit up and push back. It should now be free from the tank except for the wires. Slip a soft cloth under the unit to protect your tank and keep you from dropping anything into the gas hole. Now remove the upper 4 bolts and the speedo unit will drop out. You will probably have to re-position the weather stripping at the bottom of the lens. Now… the idea is to sandwich the rubber O rings between the metal mounting tabs and the plastic housing at all seven points. To temporarily hold the O rings in place, I rubbed them across a plain old glue stick and centered them over the threaded metal tabs. I did the 4 that hold the speed unit first and screwed them in. Those were the hardest as it was mildly difficult to line the holes back up without disturbing the weather stripping. Now stick the O rings on the bottom 3 points and slide the housing back into place. There is a tab on the tank that slips into a groove at the front of the unit. Make sure the rubber didn’t fall off of it, and check to be sure the 2 rubber feet on the front of the housing are still in place. Screw the last 3 bolts in and tighten everything up. Total time - 2 beers. Not very difficult at all. I’ve ridden a few hundred miles so far and not a peep from it. I don’t see how it could since all metal to plastic points are cushioned with rubber. Rubber washers would work as well but I couldn’t find any that looked thin enough. The O rings flattened right out and didn’t raise the housing much. Hope this helps any of you with this annoying rattle.

Here is another thought;

Variation On The Speedo Rattle Fix Reply with quote

I was using o-rings to address my speedo rattle, based on Poison's excellent advice in earlier posts. (I wish I understood the bike half as well as that guy does.)
But I got pi$$ed off a couple of weeks ago when I removed the speedo housing to straighten out a bad connection to the trip meter switch, and promptly started accidentally knocking the o-rings off the bike and onto the floor (it's not easy to keep them in place when taking the speedo housing off and on, although using glue stick does help a lot).
So I decided to experiment with 'reinforcement labels'. These are the washer-shaped labels that are used to reinforce the holes in a sheet of looseleaf paper (so it doesn't get torn out of a binder too easily).
They have light adhesive on one side, and are a perfect shape for this application. I stacked the labels eight high for each spot (to give them a little thickness). The hole in the center is exactly the right size, and they stay put because of the light adhesive.
Cost is no factor -- I picked up a pack of 544 of the things at the local drug store for 99 cents.
Most importantly, it did the job. No rattle at all, and I've done quite a bit of riding since putting these in.

Biddy
Biddy
Biddy
Moderate user
Moderate user

Back to top Go down

Speedo housing rattle fix Empty Speedo Lens Rattle

Post  magsemail Wed May 05, 2010 12:51 pm

Thanks Jedishon. There were a few threads detailing what to fix. Unfortunately, the o-ring size the guy suggests is too small. I just lost a screw down under the tank (not in the tank). So, trip number 2 to Napa Auto Parts store.

UGH!!!!
magsemail
magsemail

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed May 05, 2010 1:11 pm

Take your time. It will work out for you.

This is what I found:

Speedometer housing rattle
Speedometer housing rattle

1. Remove the bottom 3 screws holding on the housing.
2. Remove the gas cap.
3. Remove the housing and let it dangle near the radiator.
4. Put the gascap back on (so nothing falls in)
5. take some #7 (3) o-rings and dab some RTV silicone on one side (Or just spit on 'em)
6. Center them over the screwholes on the 3 metal tank tabs.
7. Reinstall housing.

You will never rattle again - takes about 5 minutes.

Trick with the o-rings is that you want the shoulder of the bolt to be able to pass through....with the compression happenning between the housing and the tabs - not between the screw and the o-ring. #7's are just the right size. Hope that makes sense.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  magsemail Sat May 15, 2010 5:41 pm

magsemail wrote:Thanks Jedishon. There were a few threads detailing what to fix. Unfortunately, the o-ring size the guy suggests is too small. I just lost a screw down under the tank (not in the tank). So, trip number 2 to Napa Auto Parts store.

UGH!!!!

Saturday - May 15, 2010 - VERY VERY Happy to report that the o-rings worked and NO MORE RATTLE. Bought new phillips head screw for the one I dropped/lost, and went on PGR funeral mission this morning (you do know that it is Armed Forces Day today - right?), and no rattle. THANK GOD!!!

Thanks everyone for the help.

I need help inserting a picture. I have one for my avatar, but can't insert picture in posting. It just keeps coming up inserting an URL and not an image. HELP! (Please, please)

https://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d96/magsemail/2004%20Honda%20VTX%201300C%20May%202010/?action=view&current=P1010055.jpg

Last edited by magsemail on Sat May 15, 2010 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Want to insert picture. Not sure how - anyone help!!!)
magsemail
magsemail

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Sun May 16, 2010 4:02 pm

like this:
Speedo housing rattle fix P1010055

cool
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Speedo housing rattle fix Empty Speedo Rattle Fix

Post  magsemail Sun May 16, 2010 7:28 pm

Thanks horseman8m - But I could have done that (posted 1/2 the picture). I realize that you can only put in a 150 pixels by 200 pixels avatar, but apparently even the moderators can't put in a bigger picture! What's up with that?

Last edited by magsemail on Sun May 16, 2010 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
magsemail
magsemail

Back to top Go down

Speedo housing rattle fix Empty Speedo Rattle Fix

Post  magsemail Sun May 16, 2010 7:28 pm

Thanks horseman8m - But I could have done that (posted 1/2 the picture). I realize that you can only put in a 750 pixels by 200 pixels avatar, but apparently even the moderators can't put in a bigger picture! What's up with that?
magsemail
magsemail

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum