Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

handle bar wobble, grabber size? front tire?

4 posters

Go down

handle bar wobble, grabber size? front tire? Empty handle bar wobble, grabber size? front tire?

Post  wiggans50cal Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:45 am

is it normal for the bars on a 1300 vtx to wobble when you let go of the bars? tell ya, i did it and it was a slight wobble that turned into a major wobble fast, it was a pucker factor of 10 guys!! affraid could this be because i have a factory dunny on the front causeing this? the wear is mostly on the left side of the tire, is this from the curvature of the road?
i would like to go darkside soon but i dont know what size... what size do i need that will match the height of the factory dunny M/T i have on now, and as far as the width goes, i just need it to handle as good as possible, so i dont think a real wide one would be for me, but its whatever you guys say, cuz u guys are pretty much awsome!!! lol. would i need a different rear tube for the grabber if i didnt seal my rim? i talked to a fella earlier on the phone and he puts 1OZ of daisy BBs in the front and 2OZ of BBs in the rear, he runs a VW darkside on his vtx, he said it balances the tire nicely, is this a good idea? and is this vw tire that he speaks of better than the grabber in any way?
What about front tire brand/model? what do you guys recomend for price and quality? thanks for the views people!! your replies are teaching me a lot and helping me emensly!!! thanks again!

wiggans50cal

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

handle bar wobble, grabber size? front tire? Empty Re: handle bar wobble, grabber size? front tire?

Post  smokey2255 Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:10 am

wiggans
On the front end wobble, this in a trait of our 1300's. The fix is to change out the steering head bearings with the ones honda puts in the 1800's. A little work but easy enough.

For what you are asking for from the rear tire I would recommend you go with a 165-80-15 there are a lot of different brands out there that will work.

The BB's ......... dont know that I would run them in a tube. A company makes Dyna beads that are ceramic and hold up well that work in tubes and tubeless. Now as my disclaimer here, as I have never ridden a bike with BB's in a tube and therefore have no personal experience with such. I will just say I would think that the possible corrosion of the bb's could cause problems later on. Again that is purely conjecture and speculation on my part so take it with a grain of salt. With that being said ..... the peeps on here that know me will tell you I aint scared and am game for about anything so if I wont do it, it's probably best to leave it alone Laughing Embarassed Laughing Shocked Laughing Laughing

See You out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

handle bar wobble, grabber size? front tire? Empty Re: handle bar wobble, grabber size? front tire?

Post  jedishon Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:25 am

+1 on what Smokey said...For a front tire I went with a metz me 880, 150/80/17. Stock dunflop was 140/80/17. The 150 gave a little more height, but the ride is great. Plus the added bonus it got rid of 90% of the wobble. I will still replace the bearings, but as a winter mod now.....
Good luck on your choice...

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:49 pm

You cant run dyna beads or bbs in a tube. I will tearup a tube.
Dont recomend it.

wayne

Number of posts : 623

Back to top Go down

Post  wiggans50cal Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:57 pm

wayne wrote:You cant run dyna beads or bbs in a tube. I will tearup a tube.
Dont recomend it.

okay, i will not do it then, thanks a bunch for your advise... when i was talking to this dude i was like man are u sure that is good on the tube??? he said his was okay so far, but oh well, i wont do it, thanks a million.

wiggans50cal

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:03 am

You sure can use dyna beads in your tubes. Below is a link to their web home and below that are direct excerpts from their FAQS section.

See you out there
Smokey

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/chart.htm#MotorcycleChart

Can I use Dyna Beads in my motorcycle?

You bet, and you'll get a glass smooth ride! We have received test results (so far) to speeds of 193 mph! Whether you have a Harley, Honda or a Tank scooter move up to the super-smooth, weightless ride of Dyna Beads!

Can I use Dyna Beads in tires with inner tubes?
Absolutely! The inside of an inner tube is perfectly smooth, the ideal surface for Dyna Beads.
Note: Some vehicles, like the Unimog, occasionally run inner tubes in these large aggressive tires. Some of these tubes can add 15 - 20 lbs per tire to the weight, so it's advisable to let us know this when you inquire.
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:09 am

I was told that you cant. I guess you use at your own risk. Very Happy

wayne

Number of posts : 623

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum