Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dark side Honda Reflex Scooter

+8
jedishon
jr2lives
twin1300
horseman8m
Steve-O
Toasted_311
smokey2255
bandito_two
12 posters

Go down

Dark side Honda Reflex Scooter Empty Dark side Honda Reflex Scooter

Post  bandito_two Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:36 am

Here's the rear view of my Honda Reflex scooter with a 145/70R12 car tire.
Sitting next to it is my latest project; A Samsonite 22 inch hard side suitcase that is being converted into a detachable top case. It has a LED brake light like that used for a truck/trailer and some reflective red tape. The other picture is a side by side comparison of the Bridgestone-Hoop and the Federal all season tire.

Dark side Honda Reflex Scooter Dark_s10
Dark side Honda Reflex Scooter Tire_c10
bandito_two
bandito_two

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-07-11

"A" likes this post

Back to top Go down

Dark side Honda Reflex Scooter Empty Re: Dark side Honda Reflex Scooter

Post  smokey2255 Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:18 am

That isw just cool as hell. Innovation is sucha marvelous thing.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:59 am

Shocked Looking good. I like the suitcase idea too.

Innovation is what makes the world go round. Wink
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:35 pm

I hear those suitcases spontaneously combust. Be careful with that! ;-)
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:39 am

Steve-O wrote:I hear those suitcases spontaneously combust. Be careful with that! ;-)

Shocked roflmao. lol!
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:51 pm

Toasted_311 wrote:
Steve-O wrote:I hear those suitcases spontaneously combust. Be careful with that! ;-)

Shocked roflmao. lol!

recycled ford pinto
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:33 pm

Awesome job Bandito! Welcome to the darkside.

I like the luggage thing also.

...............bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Dark side Honda Reflex Scooter Empty Auto tire on Reflex

Post  jr2lives Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:33 pm

This sounds like a grreat idea if it worked without modifications. So what are the pros and cons that you've run into. What about the front tire? My refles is a 2002 and it sat alot with previous owner and the traction is bad on turns. Do you a tire 6 years old might need replaced do to age? Thanks for any help, this is my first experience with any motor bike.

jr2lives

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:49 pm

most tire manufacturers suggest replacing the tires every 5 years for age......That being said, if you find an age crack in your tire replace it. Its not worth risking your life on.......There are a couple scooters here that are darkside. You could send them a PM, you miht get a quicker answer....
Good luck

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Dark side Honda Reflex Scooter Empty Auto tire on Reflex Scooter

Post  bandito_two Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:09 am

jr2lives wrote:This sounds like a grreat idea if it worked without modifications. So what are the pros and cons that you've run into. What about the front tire? My refles is a 2002 and it sat alot with previous owner and the traction is bad on turns. Do you a tire 6 years old might need replaced do to age? Thanks for any help, this is my first experience with any motor bike.

No modifications were made. The 145/70R12 auto tire fit on the scooter rim and then it all fit within the limits of the swing arm width and with clearance in front of the tire from the engine case. I'm what might be considered light, weighing about 160 pounds or so dressed to ride and in the course of riding these past 4300+ miles so far over the occasional bump/small potholes I've not noticed any contact of the tire with the fender or under side area. So then I've not needed to make any adjustments to the shocks either. Like any vehicle, low tire pressure will make you use way too much fuel. If it's really low, then the tire is noisy, heats up, and the handling becomes uncomfortable, feels draggy(which it is) and potentially hazardous to your health.(if you know what I mean) That is the only bad thing that gave me concerns when I first put the car tire on.(but soon had the correct tire pressure. WOW! what a difference correct tire pressure makes.) I don't blast off at lights like I used to.(but I still get away from lights faster than cars.) The car tire is a little bit taller than a regular scooter tire, so it will feel 'loaded up' a little bit like it would as if you were going up hill until you get up to a steady speed. Not a problem really, just a little different riding style than with the scooter tire. On the pro side of the question, I really like how my fuel economy went from around 67 MPG to almost 75 MPG average.(which makes a good thing even better.) That is about a 10 and a half percent improvement over the scooter tire. My best so far was 77.248 MPG. It doesn't feel as squirmy on gravel/dirt roads like it used to. No tendency to hydroplane on rain soaked roads has been noted.(but then I do lower my speed when in heavy rain/standing water on the road/big puddles) No fears or concerns with cornering. With the exception of flat turns like at an intersection, most curves in roads have a bit of 'bank' to them so the angle of the tire to the road surface is really not as severe as you might imagine. I've cranked the scooter over pretty good on occassion and the wear marks come only part way up the tread found on the side wall. So if you don't race with the scooter on the twisties,(which you never should) The car tire works perfectly good for a safe and sane riding style. The front tire leads you through turns and takes most of the braking loads, so it has to remain a scooter tire which has a softer rubber compound that makes it stickier/grippier than the harder, longer lasting rubber compound of a car tire. Also, the profile(cross section shape) of a car tire does not lend itself to proper handling for the front of a bike. As mentioned in another posting; tires should be changed when age cracks/dry rot or excessive wear become apparent. The Honda Reflex is pretty much the same 2001 through 2007 with the exception of a change to the case cover,(improved cooling fins - 2002 and up I think) a better charging system,(2004 and newer) and the addition of anti-lock braking on some models. So if it has bad traction, then there is something wrong with the tire configuration/condition be it age deterioration, wear, improper inflation, poor fitment, bad suspension, exterior contamination, or any combination of those things. When I say exterior contamination, I mean oil, brake fluid, paint or similarly slick stuff. And NEVER EVER use that stuff they put on car tires to make them look all shiny, black and new. If looks could kill, this would be one of them.
I hope this answers your questions.
bandito_two
bandito_two

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:32 am

Bandito......awesome write up! That should help others who are considering the darkside! Thanks!

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Dark side Honda Reflex Scooter Empty Reflex

Post  starider Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:34 pm

Way to go. This car tire will undoubtedly never wear out. I like the sampsonite idea. More people should think outside the box. Cool
starider
starider

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:50 pm

But I like the box.
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Dark side Honda Reflex Scooter Empty WHAT?!

Post  wdaloz Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:42 pm

Are you people OK?
This is a terrible idea!

What innovation are you praising? What benefits could this possibly have. I mean good that it mostly seems to fit...
but you need a radiused tire to turn properly. Not to mention this is going to drastically increase your road contact patch and eliminate fuel efficiency and top speed. (although running that anywhere near 80 seems suicidal)

I work at a scooter shop and if someone came in and told me to mount that tire on that rim I would ABSOLUTELY NOT.
Nor would anyone I know in any shop I can think of.
It's a terrible idea.
There's a difference between innovation and foolishness.

wdaloz

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:53 am

wdaloz wrote:Are you people OK?
This is a terrible idea!

What innovation are you praising? What benefits could this possibly have. I mean good that it mostly seems to fit...
but you need a radiused tire to turn properly. Not to mention this is going to drastically increase your road contact patch and eliminate fuel efficiency and top speed. (although running that anywhere near 80 seems suicidal)

I work at a scooter shop and if someone came in and told me to mount that tire on that rim I would ABSOLUTELY NOT.
It's a terrible idea.

I guess he is NOT a Darksider Evil or Very Mad
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:38 am

[quote="bandito_two"]
jr2lives wrote:The front tire leads you through turns and takes most of the braking loads, so it has to remain a scooter tire which has a softer rubber compound that makes it stickier/grippier than the harder, longer lasting rubber compound of a car tire.
Twin, can you post your findings on the tire hardness again for us that have this information correctly or incorrectly?
Thanks Bro.
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Dark side Honda Reflex Scooter Empty re what

Post  Larry Simpson Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:01 am

Well here we go again,I have heard it said many times.(better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt)amazing how many people talk about things they know nothing about.
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Dark side Honda Reflex Scooter Empty talk

Post  starider Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:00 pm

Amen
starider
starider

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:52 pm

wdaloz wrote:Are you people OK?
This is a terrible idea!

It's a terrible idea.

Well Sir. you are entitld to your very wrong and bisbegotten closed minded opinion. Suspect Suspect Rolling Eyes :arrow: But just remember opinions are like asses. We all have one and yours stinks Laughing Laughing

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content