Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

shaft drive hassles & rear u-joint breakage (03 vtx 18c) w shakes>

3 posters

Go down

shaft drive hassles & rear u-joint breakage (03 vtx 18c) w shakes> Empty shaft drive hassles & rear u-joint breakage (03 vtx 18c) w shakes>

Post  j r de wood jr Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:38 am

wondering if anyone has experienced difficulty w the shaft drive or rear u-joint trouble.
i got hit by some rally car idiots -- too young to know how dangerous they are already!
while travelling up mt diablo in east bay zones of san francisco area awhile back; now
the insurance company is balking, tho i sd how the whack was very sharp & hard! yet
didn't knock me over, some soft bags luckily took the whomp. slid the rear tire over
about half a foot or so, poss more. i do alot of running so it was no big when i veered.
but the shock on left side showed damage, & the sweeping wide left turns on highway
speeds were noticeably different & a waggle was started since then. why i tried the dark
side -- to see if more stability was poss: goodyear assurance 205 70 16, hp i think it is.
actually put a rear motorcycle tire on the front which helpt significantly: battlax 160!?!?!
anyway, that's the layout. so i'm battling the insurance dogs because there was no, er uh,
collision damage noted by any mechanics who checked the bike so far. i had u-joint replaced
when it broke on highway one near where i live below san francisco in pacifica california.
thing is, the waggle you all are off & on talking about is much worse on this machine. a
near freaky swaggle shakes the rear section. why i progressive shocked front & back. argh,
but seems the 412 heavy duty 12.5s aren't enuf. so heading for the 440 heavy duty 12.5s.
not sure if there is anything to do to antagonize the insurance crews, since the golden gate
service dept mechanix tossed the u-joint after the insurance adjuster took some pix. told
them to hang onto the part for i wanted to metal stress test it. good luck on those loops,
i know. ok, that's the bumbly rot fiend blurb on this action. glad u all r barking out there:
thank yous, & appreciate the infos circulating in these forums i learn alot from always!
j r de wood jr
j r de wood jr

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-07-01

Back to top Go down

shaft drive hassles & rear u-joint breakage (03 vtx 18c) w shakes> Empty Re: shaft drive hassles & rear u-joint breakage (03 vtx 18c) w shakes>

Post  nodakbassmaster Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:35 am

Welcome, so, if I am understanding this right, you have a wobble problem?

If so, does it show up above or below a certain speed, in certain maneuvers like right or left turns?....

Doubt the tires are your issue and the shocks ought not be either... I'd make sure the tires are well balanced since you have put them both on recently and if that doesn't help, I think there are bushings in the swingarm pivot that you might have gotten out o round or pushed over in the collision...
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

shaft drive hassles & rear u-joint breakage (03 vtx 18c) w shakes> Empty Re: shaft drive hassles & rear u-joint breakage (03 vtx 18c) w shakes>

Post  jedishon Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:40 am

You could try putting the bike on a lift and running it in gear to see if it wobbles with out any weight on it. I'm wondering if the accident knocked the rear tire balance weights off, or if the rim was bent. A fraction of an inch will give you fits. The insurance company should cover that. If they dont, let me know who it is so I wont use them.
Good hunting.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum