Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

questions

5 posters

Go down

questions Empty questions

Post  jg3031 Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:06 am

Hey all, I'm getting close to a rear tire change. I ride the V Star 1300 (the new in 07 model). I'm thinking of going with a car tire. I know one guy who did, and he seems pretty pleased with the switch.

Have you guys had good experiences? Did you have any trouble with getting the tire mounted and balanced? Have any of you used the dyna beads for balancing your tires?

I'm real interested in giving a ct a try...

jg3031

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-06-11

Back to top Go down

questions Empty Re: questions

Post  lizard Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:47 am

I'm riding a Venture with a TA Radial car tire. I use this bike for 2 up touring and have had no issues with it. Once the tire is broke in and you get used to the difference, you will forget you're riding a car tire. I actually feel safer on this tire, the load rating is over 1000 lbs, while the best motorcycle tire was rated at something like 950 lbs. The ride is smoother for my wife, I'm using 35 psi as compared to 50 psi on the Metzler. I've been in the mountains, and the hwys and do enjoy the ride.

lizard

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:57 am

welcome to the forum JG , here is a place that will answer a lot of your questions, then ask if you have more , the more informed you are, the better you can make your own mind up about this .

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/pictures-f1/ds-ws-tread-by-bike-model-pics-comments-mar10-t607.htm

drive safe, Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:54 am

Hey jg
I will tell you first off that we are all more than a little biased toward the car tire. With that being said ....... nothing but good experiences for me. I could go on and praise the tire and its abilities but I would be here typing all day and one of the other darksiders would just come push me off the "iam happy with the car tire" soap box. Laughing Laughing Most of us have found small mom and pop bike shops to mount them for us, though there have been a few that got their dealers to mount them. About the dyna beads HELL YES. nuff said there .. all good. There was another post in the general motorcycle tech section about zinc coated bb's as an alternative.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  jg3031 Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:06 pm

Thanks to all who've replied here! I'm pretty certain I'm going to give this deal a try..... if I can find a dealer or shop to mount the tire.
I'd like to know what experience folks have had with their dealers, when going in for service, or when there is a warranty concern? My bike is less than a year old, and I have an extra four years on the warranty. If I have to listen to my dealer moan and groan and make threats about voiding warranty and such.. well that will just be unpleasant Laughing

jg3031

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-06-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:51 pm

I'd take my wheel in with the new tire...not the entire bike...if you can. Then tell them if they ask that you're building a custom old school bobber or something.

Usually, they won't mind then. But I work at a small MC shop so I'm good. Very Happy
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-12-14

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down