Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My next bike ???

+3
jedishon
greyboyfan
wrongway
7 posters

Go down

My next bike ??? Empty My next bike ???

Post  wrongway Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:39 am

My next bike ??? 529200814929

I think I will try to get ahold of one of these. rumor has it that i can be capable of 300 hp but detuned to 205. Official announcement is june 4.

http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=719

Roy
wrongway
wrongway

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-01-12

Back to top Go down

My next bike ??? Empty Re: My next bike ???

Post  greyboyfan Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:26 am

Oh yeah! That would look good in my driveway. with a Goodyear tire on it. I always liked the V-Max. Way more power than a guy could ever legally use. Twisted Evil
greyboyfan
greyboyfan

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post  wrongway Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:39 pm

greyboyfan wrote:Oh yeah! That would look good in my driveway. with a Goodyear tire on it. I always liked the V-Max. Way more power than a guy could ever legally use. Twisted Evil

If they took out 100 hp , I think i can figure out how to put it back in . 300 hp wihtout nitrous should get me close to where the turbo bikes are when i shoot some nitrous to it :-) but I may have to do a chain conversion to get a gear ratio that will go 250 mph.

Roy
wrongway
wrongway

Back to top Go down

Post  wrongway Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:30 pm

An early version of the engine made 295bhp (!) at the crank. After some troubles with the internal dynos and test setups the bike was tested with that engine configuration. Turns out there is pretty much no rear tire that can hold up against this much power. The engine shredded tires in piece, breaking loose at pretty much any point in time.

They didnt try a car tire :-) but I will ....

Roy
wrongway
wrongway

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:11 am

Go get em Roy

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  wrongway Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:17 am

I may have to rethink this one. with an 18k price tag and a smaller motor at 1650 I dont think I will end up with one of these. I did find a 2007 zx14 for 8k so I am thinking about getting that for riding to work .

Roy
wrongway
wrongway

Back to top Go down

Post  Morgan Buchanan Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:28 am

"small" and 200 horses... hm. Smile Size isn't everything, it's what you do with it... or so I'm told.....OFTEN. LOL
Morgan Buchanan
Morgan Buchanan

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:31 am

Morgan Buchanan wrote:"small" and 200 horses... hm. Smile Size isn't everything, it's what you do with it... or so I'm told.....OFTEN. LOL

Ummm,,, Me too.
I have always liked the V Max. I dont think it would really suit my style but is always cool having the power. I really believe that the VTX that I own is the best suited bike I could have bought. JMO tho.

Yall ride safe and ride what you want.
Peace
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:28 am

I guess I'll be the odd man out here. I have never liked the looks of the V-max and they seemed to have managed to make an ugly bike even uglier, but hey that's just my opinion right?

The power aspect of them is pretty good, but for me I want a clean looking cruiser for cruising and a mean nasty sportbike for going fast.

In the mean time I will just have to settle for a turbo'd VTX (coming this fall to a George near you)

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:12 pm

Nice looking bike, but I'm happy with mine.
And I'll stay happy with it for a long time. Why, you ask?

It's paid for. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Tanglefoot Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:39 pm

shebear wrote:Nice looking bike, but I'm happy with mine.

It's paid for. Wink
Mine is paid for too and I don't have to worry about the monthly notes. I don't even want a second bike. I love my Valkyrie. A Goldwing might be nice but I think the Valk is as comfortable a ride as the Wing. Same motor and suspension or something real close. You can ride for hours and you won't be worn out.
Tanglefoot
Tanglefoot
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:06 am

Tanglefoot wrote:
shebear wrote:Nice looking bike, but I'm happy with mine.

It's paid for. Wink
Mine is paid for too and I don't have to worry about the monthly notes. I don't even want a second bike. I love my Valkyrie. A Goldwing might be nice but I think the Valk is as comfortable a ride as the Wing. Same motor and suspension or something real close. You can ride for hours and you won't be worn out.

I feel the same way about my bike. I've put several 12 hour days in the saddle and love it. The only debt we have is our mortgage, so no credit debt or car/bike payments. Inflation is really hitting us hard and my medical bills are just outrageous. Half of my hospital stay was $136,000, they still haven't billed the second week. Of course, that's not what Medicare paid. The hospital may write off my portion of the bill since we have no income to speak of and my pharmacist is helping me contact the drug companies to help with my medications. I stopped taking most of them, but there are several that I have to have and they are all $200+ each per month. I hit the Medicare Rx coverage gap in one month so the next $3500 is out of my pocket. Whoever thought that was a good idea obviously doesn't have chronic health problems, limited income or Medicare. And that was the program AARP endorsed. Unbelievable.

Back to top Go down

Post  wrongway Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:33 am

I am fortunate and have a business to help with the sponsoring. But I think Yamaha really dropped the ball here. It looks like they decresed the size of the motor form 1800cc ( or more ) down to 1672 to reduce hp or torque. This is bad for 2 reasons... first is that the class break in land speed racing is 1650 cc so it is at the bottom of the 2000 cc class. second is that starting with the smaller engine makes it more expensive to get back to 300 hp ( bore and maybe a stroker crank).

The 18k price tag hurts alot. That would bring the cost of a race prepped bike in the 2000cc class to 23k ( or more). I would not mind spending the money if it were a platform that could go over 300 hp naturally asperated , but I have my doubts now.

And from an economic stand point I can get a 2007 zx14 for 9k and a turbo for 5k and end up with a 300 hp bike for 14k. It would only take a crank, rods and pistons to bump it up to 500 hp and that would still be less than the Vmax would cost at 300 hp.

But now I need to get back to work and get my car motor finished so I can see how bad I hurt the old zx14 motor at the last land speed attemp.

Roy
wrongway
wrongway

Back to top Go down

Post  greyboyfan Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:52 pm

Well, I, personally, don't need a "race ready" bike with 300 hp. I'm only riding from one stop light to the next anyway. 1672 cc's is good enough for me. And, plus, I've paid the county court all I'm gonna pay them for the 2 speeding tickets I got in the last 2 yrs. (and that was for going 45 in a 35)
I always liked those air intakes on the V-Max. And, like some of y'all. my VTX is all I need for cruisin', I just want to park that thing in the line of HD's in the "Bike" parking space at work. Twisted Evil
greyboyfan
greyboyfan

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum