Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swing Arm Clearance

2 posters

Go down

Swing Arm Clearance Empty Swing Arm Clearance

Post  Dan Fri May 16, 2008 5:57 pm

I saw 8.3" on here as the tire width limit. The General Tire specs. I'm looking at, have a footnote saying; tire section width is changed by .2" for every .5" of rim width change from measuring rim. So if the s.w. is 8.5" on a 6.00" rim, it should be 8.1" on a 5.00" rim. Was this taken into consideration for the 8.3" limit? Will this tire fit? I have the wheel off now. Has anyone ever modified their drive shaft tube for clearance? Is this an option? It seems like I have just enough room, but the shaft tube runs closer than the other side, so it's hard to tell without the tire in there.

Last edited by Dan on Mon May 19, 2008 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Dan

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Swing Arm Clearance Empty Re: Swing Arm Clearance

Post  nodakbassmaster Fri May 16, 2008 11:28 pm

just because the manuf says it's that width doesn't actually mean it is.... what size tire are you looking at?
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Sat May 17, 2008 12:48 am

Hey Nodak,
The 205/65R16 Altimax RT non-directional, and the 215/65R16 Altimax HP directional. Both should be the same section width, by General Tire's formula, 8.1" on the stock 1800C OEM 5.00" cast wheel,(they're not 5.50, like the 18" F rear). Does directional tread make a big difference? I'm going to try the 215, I like the height, the O.D. is 27.0" vs. 26.5" for the 205. If the specs. are accurate, it looks like it will just make it. I'm 200 lbs., and run my 18C solo, no extra weight, stock shocks on position 1. I figure on trimming fender brace if needed. Can driveshaft tube be modified if needed? Has anyone tried, (or think it's probable), putting a slight dimple, or flattening radius in the shaft tube for some breathing room? I may carefully try with a big drift punch, and a BFH. Local tire dealer says I can try one on, and exchange it, if need be, free mounting even. Most car tire machines that rotate the wheel to swap tires, are very capable for mc wheels, as long as they're willing to spend an extra minute to use proper attachments. I thought I would mount tire, but leave bead unseated for easier install. I may as well try it, and do some experimenting for the Darkside movement. After all, I hope to benefit also. Looking forward to your replies. Thanks~Dan

Last edited by Dan on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:02 pm; edited 5 times in total
Dan
Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Sun May 18, 2008 3:44 am

sounds like it should work..... the drive shaft tube you are referring to is a protective cover over the shaft, you could pull the final drive (4 bolts) and get a better idea of the amount of room there is in there to beat on it with a hammer!

Let us know how it comes out! you might have the 1800 version of the wideside! Laughing
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Mon May 19, 2008 3:10 am

beat on it with a hammer!

I prefer; Friendly persuasion, by means to a better end. First concern is how much room between the shaft and tube, and how thick the tube wall is. I'm only talking minor adjustment, hopefully I won't even need it. I believe as the wheel turns, the tire diameter grows, and the width shrinks. So if it's real close at rest, but not touching, it should be fine. Judgement day tomorrow. I'm anticipating the full fender look. Suspect Wildside!
Dan
Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Mon May 19, 2008 6:40 pm

215/65 Wildside Baby, It's a Go! Just got it in there, looks like I need to grind the swingarm crossbrace seam, right corner, fender brace lips, and slight shaft tube mod. I'm glad I don't have to change my signature! I'll post later w/more info. I'm psyched, fits like the skin on a grape!

Last edited by Dan on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Tue May 20, 2008 4:13 am

sweet! get us pics!
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin