Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

fine tuning a carb

3 posters

Go down

fine tuning a carb Empty fine tuning a carb

Post  smokey2255 Fri May 02, 2008 9:49 pm

Found this and am mainly posting to share but also so I can find it again, Laughing

Quoted from http://vtx1300tips.com/cold_weather_sputtering.htm

The low speed (idle) circuit is what you are helping most with the fuel mixture adjustment (D-screw on bottom rear of the carb) and frequently a 'coughing' when accelerating from idle is symptomatic of a lean low speed circuit. If it is doing it above idle, I would suspect incorrect jet and needle settings. Since it appears you have an aftermarket filter in your sig pic, the mixture screw is easier to get at than someone with the OEM box and can generally be adjusted with the engine running.
While every engine responds differently, I would adjust yours much the same as I would any other carbed engine: Begin by turning the screw in (clockwise) until the engine starts sputtering. Then, slowly back it out until engine runs smoothly. The engine will be running faster and, if excessive, you should adjust the idle speed [knurled knob] down some at this point. Now, continue opening the mixture screw until the engine gains no more speed then turn back in 1/4 turn. (On some engines this may be as much as two full turns.) At this point, adjust your idle speed back down to normal. To test your mixture setting, remember how much you change the setting from this point and start turning the mixture screw in again. If you have it set to optimum, the engine will start slowing within 1/8 turn of the original positioning. If not, just continue turning in until the speed begins to slow then back out 1/8 turn. Be sure your idle speed is adjusted where you normally run it. Just keep in mind you need 900 RPM+ to maintain adequate engine oiling and to prevent stalling which is generally just above a 'lope' if you don't have a tach.
Once you have fine tuned it to this point, it is doubtful that you will need to make adjustments again when warm weather returns.
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

fine tuning a carb Empty Re: fine tuning a carb

Post  gstanfield Fri May 02, 2008 9:57 pm

that's a good condensed version that will help most people get close enough. I've been tuning carbs for most of my years and still rely on a Wideband A/F meter to get thigns perfect. The downside is $300-$800 for the Wideband and then wiring it up and welding in a bung in your pipes for the O2 sensor.

Then again, I've been accused of being an over-engineered, overachieving, perfectionist.

So again, that's a good write-up on getting things tuned in and just ignore my ramblings Smile

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sat May 03, 2008 12:19 am

you have are being ignored my friend. Laughing Laughing

How are the wife and girls doing?

Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sat May 03, 2008 7:38 am

Good post Smokey. Mine coughs and sputters when its cold. And it will die on me unless I keep the throttle open. Once its warmed up it runs and idles great. Cant complain too loud though, my plugs are a nice brown bag color and my gas millage went from 35 to 43 mpg (thanks for making me check Twin). Monday after the recall work I'll see if I still have the gas smell at wot.

George all of us are waiting to hear how the girls are.

Uncle Jerr
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Sat May 03, 2008 7:55 am

Girls are doing good, they should be able to come home in 2-3 weeks. They are both at the 5lb mark, with Lori a couplke oz. heavier at 5lb2oz

They are taking most of their feedings from a bottle, still have to get strong enough to take all of it before they can leave. I'm about to leave for a run now, but I'mm try to remember to post more on a new thread when I return this evening.

BRRRR, it's 19 degrees and I leaving out on my bike.

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sat May 03, 2008 10:51 am

looking forward to hearing more

Jerr