Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What gas mileage are you guys getting.

+8
grizak
DS-Wing-Nut
KYVTX1300
Muntz
smokey2255
jedishon
cerooth
twin1300
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What gas mileage are you guys getting. Empty What gas mileage are you guys getting.

Post  twin1300 Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:08 pm

On my highway trip to the Darkside Rally.......The one time I did the gas mileage thing was...55.8 mpg. We were running 62-66 mph on my gps. I did 173 miles and only put 3.1 gallons in the tank. I didn't even hit reserve yet!

.......................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

What gas mileage are you guys getting. Empty Re: What gas mileage are you guys getting.

Post  cerooth Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:13 pm

Until I can re-tune my X, I won't be looking at numbers like that. I'm getting around 150 before having to hit reserve and running rich to boot. Gotta wonder what I'd get with the way I ride when I get it tuned properly.
cerooth
cerooth
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 569
Registration date : 2007-12-15

https://www.facebook.com/#!/cerooth

Back to top Go down

What gas mileage are you guys getting. Empty Re: What gas mileage are you guys getting.

Post  jedishon Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:35 pm

I was getting 35 mpg when I got it, but after changint the intake, shiming the carb and modifying the exhaust I'm getting 42. But I never ride less than 10 over the limit, and I like taking off shall we say at a good clip from the stop lights. Would not surprise me to get in the mid 50's range if I took it easy and did the speed limit. Tried it do it for a tank once to see what it would be, lasted 20 minuets.
Oh well, I bought the bike to have fun on. If I wanted good gas mileage I would have bought an electric car.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:18 pm

jedishon wrote:I was getting 35 mpg when I got it, but after changint the intake, shiming the carb and modifying the exhaust I'm getting 42. But I never ride less than 10 over the limit, and I like taking off shall we say at a good clip from the stop lights. Would not surprise me to get in the mid 50's range if I took it easy and did the speed limit. Tried it do it for a tank once to see what it would be, lasted 20 minuets.
Oh well, I bought the bike to have fun on. If I wanted good gas mileage I would have bought an electric car.

Jerry

Jerry that is the absolute best thing you have ever said. I cant wait to share the wind

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:31 pm

twin1300 wrote:On my highway trip to the Darkside Rally.......The one time I did the gas mileage thing was...55.8 mpg. We were running 62-66 mph on my gps. I did 173 miles and only put 3.1 gallons in the tank. I didn't even hit reserve yet!

I cant drive 55. 62 or 66 ....... where was yall going? Grandmas house?
Hell I think old granny does that on her hover-round scooter. Twisted Evil
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  KYVTX1300 Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:34 pm

I used to get 40 before I fixed the speedometer. Now I find out I was really only getting 35. Are you guys adjusting for the error in the speedo?
KYVTX1300
KYVTX1300

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2007-12-16

http://www.wccauto.com/gallery/Motorcycle/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:44 pm

I guess the speedo error transfers to the odometer as well then?
Mine is 5mph fast... Meaning If I'm showing 70 on the speedo I'm really only going 65 mph. How do you do the math for the odometer for this??
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2008-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  cerooth Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:48 pm

If you're looking for the average speed/mileage/tank then I have to correct myself. One a full tank, running between 70-85 up and down hills I average around 150 miles per tank, or between 40-45 mpg. Now if I really wanted to see just how far I could push it, I'd strap on a gas can on my luggage rack and take off down the road on a full tank until I had to hit reserve and try to find a gas station after that. Keep in mind that at slow speed I'm wasting gas by running rich, but when I get to highway speeds Nobody behind me can detect that I'm running rich. So my line of thinking is that at highway speed, I'm just about right and at slow speeds anyone behind me is like being stuck behind an old rundown truck with a leaky muffler. Guess that's why I try to stay at a constant speed plus the wind feels great when I'm jamming out to my tunes. The only thing that does hit me hard (besides those dang June bugs/loose gravel) would be the smell of fresh cut hayfields or large lawns. don't know why, I love that smell as well as pastures, but there have been times I couldn't keep my eyes open when I hit the small of the state tractors mowing the side of the road. Cool
cerooth
cerooth
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  cerooth Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:52 pm

DarkSide-Shadow wrote:I guess the speedo error transfers to the odometer as well then?
Mine is 5mph fast... Meaning If I'm showing 70 on the speedo I'm really only going 65 mph. How do you do the math for the odometer for this??

I had someone follow me with a GPS and my spedo said I was doing 70 and gps said I was at 65. If I still had a mt on it would have said I was doing around 63. Once I knew that I could accommodate for the error by going just a little over what was posted, but I still keep up with traffic if not barely passing them. Each model of bike is a little different in figuring out just how much the spedo is off, best to have a gps with you and an open road to find out, or someone to follow behind you/set the pace to see the difference.
cerooth
cerooth
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  KYVTX1300 Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:58 pm

The old way to tell your true speed, before the GPS was to time a mile and divide the number of seconds into 3600. A cheap stopwatch around the neck to start and stop with the left hand will work. If you can keep a constant speed for a mile, you are good to go.

I used a GPS ;-) Found out I was 12.5% off and bought a Speed-O-Healer. I figure the $100 bucks will pay off in the future in saving miles on the resell value. Either that or I like electronic toys and used it as an excuse to convince the wife. (that sounded bad... (evil grin))
Twisted Evil
KYVTX1300
KYVTX1300

Back to top Go down

Post  cerooth Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:03 pm

KYVTX1300 wrote:The old way to tell your true speed, before the GPS was to time a mile and divide the number of seconds into 3600. A cheap stopwatch around the neck to start and stop with the left hand will work. If you can keep a constant speed for a mile, you are good to go.

I used a GPS ;-) Found out I was 12.5% off and bought a Speed-O-Healer. I figure the $100 bucks will pay off in the future in saving miles on the resell value. Either that or I like electronic toys and used it as an excuse to convince the wife. (that sounded bad... (evil grin))
Twisted Evil

Better to ask for forgiveness the permission Twisted Evil
cerooth
cerooth
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:10 pm

I am off the same amount as most guys on here, who haven't done the speedo thing. So by asking the question, we aught to be getting the by same calculations something that's relative in mpg. I don't expect something accurate to actually what is true.

...................bobby

Last edited by twin1300 on Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:12 pm

Muntz wrote:
twin1300 wrote:On my highway trip to the Darkside Rally.......The one time I did the gas mileage thing was...55.8 mpg. We were running 62-66 mph on my gps. I did 173 miles and only put 3.1 gallons in the tank. I didn't even hit reserve yet!

Don't start Muntz, I seen you ride and me and Smokey had to wait for you to catch up at a stop sign..... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing So, don't go there........ Wink Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:27 pm

twin1300 wrote:
Muntz wrote:

Don't start Muntz, I seen you ride and me and Smokey had to wait for you to catch up at a stop sign..... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing So, don't go there........ Wink Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Who me???? Starting Someting ????? say it aint so. Wink
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:47 pm

It aint the mileage I'm getting or not, that worries me.

What worries me is that 5 month per handlebar average that really gets my drawers in a knot. Laughing
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Back to top Go down

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:19 pm

Hmmmm?? I guess my question did come across correctly???

I already know that when I'm going 70 on my speedo I'm only actually going 65.

My question is does that effect the Odometer as well? Example: If I go 140 miles with the error above does that mean I've really only gone say like 135??? Not sure....
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Back to top Go down

Post  grizak Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:21 pm

DarkSide-Shadow wrote:Hmmmm?? I guess my question did come across correctly???

My question is does that effect the Odometer as well? Example: If I go 140 miles with the error above does that mean I've really only gone say like 135??? Not sure....

Yes your Odometer will be incorrect also.
grizak
grizak

Number of posts : 173

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:47 pm

A couple of weeks ago I burned an entire tank in 99.9 miles, but then again it took me 1hr and 2 min to go that 99.9 miles and I was pushing against a 40mph headwind Smile

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:38 am

DarkSide-Shadow wrote:Hmmmm?? I guess my question did come across correctly???

We'll have to test this David. I'm not sure the two gizmo's are dependent. Odometers are more closely regulated than speedo's. Let's find a mile marker near Ennis, reset the odo, and ride 20 miles or so and see what it says.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:58 am

We found out on our darkside rally because of the tires and their sizes and some of us had different diameter tires that we all got different mileage according to the tire.

.....................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:07 am

Twin just for you I checked my mileage when I left work, and decided to ride the 50 miles home conservitively. Kept it down to 65-70 speedo, 59-64 actual. Filled up at 171.8 miles (hadn't hit reserve) with 3.88 gallons. That is filling it up to the chrome ring on the tank, a dozen more drops and it would spill over. Figure I got 44.28 mpg on that tank. Haven't pushed as hard as usual because of the shock bushings. Thought you would like to know....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:58 am

Tested the odometer on my commute to work today...

It is SPOT on! 1 mile = 1 mile on the odometer.

But the Speedo is off by 5 mph.

Least I know I'm really travelling the miles I think I am.

?? Very Happy
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Back to top Go down

Post  cerooth Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:16 pm

DarkSide-Shadow wrote:Tested the odometer on my commute to work today...

It is SPOT on! 1 mile = 1 mile on the odometer.

But the Speedo is off by 5 mph.

Least I know I'm really travelling the miles I think I am.

?? Very Happy

That always helps
cerooth
cerooth
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  KYVTX1300 Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:35 pm

So the Odo and Speedo are not directly linked, even through they use the same wire? Next you will be telling me you can put a Car Tire on a motorcycle!!!!

Okay I'll believe anything. scratch
KYVTX1300
KYVTX1300

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:25 pm

gstanfield wrote:A couple of weeks ago I burned an entire tank in 99.9 miles, but then again it took me 1hr and 2 min to go that 99.9 miles and I was pushing against a 40mph headwind Smile

George

You my friend are my hero. I myself have not givin much thought to that. Yet. I guess I will invistagate that when I get to ride some more. My question is Have yall noticed a diff after the switch to the Darkside?????????

Oh Muntz.
You might as well order yourself another set of bars now. This would keep the down time to a minimum. Just trying to help.

Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next