Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carb question

3 posters

Go down

Carb question Empty Carb question

Post  cerooth Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:38 pm

For the past few weeks I've been trying to figure out just what happened to my bike. I had little to no trouble last year and when I start it up it ran fine until 3 weeks ago. I found my idle was running very rough and died when I was at a stop light unless I gave it some gas. Tinkered with it for a bit and saw that I was running way too rich and that my idle screw was pushed all the way in. After loosening it up I was able to idle with out twisting the wrist again. I reset my A/F/ screw and I could see the exhaust coming out when I was in idle. After countless hours racking my brain (ok, so it was a couple of minutes) I started to test to figure out what was wrong with it. When I ride I'm doing just fine, found the right settings and have no issue. The problem I am now facing is that when I idle I can see the fumes belching out of my pipes and probably could light them if I wanted to. I changed the jets when I changes my pipes and air box, but I don't have any of the parts I changed out. I'm running a Dynojet 200 main jet, and don't recall what I'm using for the idle jet. I have the Kury Hi-five air box with Cobra slip-ons and after 2 years I start to encounter this issue. The only thing I can think of is to take my carb off, clean it out and start from scratch. If anyone has any suggestions so I can still ride I'm all ears.
cerooth
cerooth
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 569
Registration date : 2007-12-15

https://www.facebook.com/#!/cerooth

Back to top Go down

Carb question Empty Re: Carb question

Post  twin1300 Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:08 pm

Found that too! As a matter of a fact my plugs got fouled by this condition eventually. Here's what I discovered. My choke was about 1/8" out. I mean it was just barely off the block, but it reeked havoc with the rich condition and it would die at red lights. Sounds familiar so check it out!

.............bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  cerooth Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:17 pm

My first thought was my choke was out, but when I check it, almost every time I ride, it's pushed all the way in.
cerooth
cerooth
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:18 pm

I would think that your slow jet should be a 55 (stock) The dj jet is smaller than your stock Kehien jet which is a 195, shich is the same as a dj 208. Sounds to me that you need to change your plugs and check your slow jet and af screw.

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  cerooth Sat May 17, 2008 11:00 pm

Well I do have an update on my carb, I think. I went ahead and put a cap full of carb cleaner (forgot the brand) and ran a few tanks worth of gas through it. While I was out enjoying a beautiful day I was informed that the gas smell was gone when I was at a stop or in 2nd gear. Thing it helped to clean it out every once in a while, but it if comes back I do have a new slow jet for it, now I just need to get the dang gasket for when I pull my carb apart to work on it. I should know in a few months if it's gotten any better or if I need to wrench on it. Just too much good riding to be done to have to be wrenching on it. With any luck I won't have to.
cerooth
cerooth
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down