Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yamaha rider looking for a selection of tires.

+4
vtxreaper
jedishon
Toasted_311
lizard
8 posters

Go down

Yamaha rider looking for a selection of tires. Empty Yamaha rider looking for a selection of tires.

Post  lizard Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:23 pm

I'm new to this site, but have had car tires in the past on some old Harleys. I currently ride a Yamaha Royal Star Venture. I don't see any posts in the Yamaha section, and maybe I'll be the first. I have seen on another website where a few Venture riders are using a BFGoodrich T/A Radial 155/80R15 on their bikes, but it seems the selection of tires this size is very limited. In your experiences is this the only tire made in this size? I've checked several websites and, as hard as it is to believe, this is it. I don't see anything wrong with this tire, and I will mount it on the Yamaha, but was just wondering if you folks might know of any other offerings.
Lizard

lizard

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-04-02

Back to top Go down

Yamaha rider looking for a selection of tires. Empty Re: Yamaha rider looking for a selection of tires.

Post  Toasted_311 Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:48 pm

Welcome lizard...if you check the video post i made this morning the bike is a Yamaha...think it's a Venture too....even has a overlay of the info.

In the mean time I'll look around a few sites I'm on. Very Happy
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-12-14

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Yamaha rider looking for a selection of tires. Empty Re: Yamaha rider looking for a selection of tires.

Post  jedishon Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:50 pm

Welcome aboard lizard. As far as I know you will be the first yamaha poster......

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:19 pm

Ok...from reading all the Venture info on ventureriders.org the rear rim is a 15x3.5 rim....the same as our 1300 VTX C rear wheels you might be able to run any of the tires mentioned in the 1300 Darkside tire threads or even possibly the 205 Wideside mod.... a 165r15 Metric tire.

Here's the links i read on the site stating the rear rim was 3.5 wide

Also noticed it was as heatly debated there as it was on the VTX boards...welcome to the darkside...we'll help you any way we can and between all of us we can find whatever info you need.

Spread the word for other Venture riders if they want to join and for those already running Darkside...we'll add any info they provide to the Yamaha section too.

Very Happy

Last edited by Toasted_311 on Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  vtxreaper Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:56 am

Welcome Lizard!!, Get r done ,you won't be sorry. The heat really isn't that bad here on the way to hell. Ride Safe!! REAPS
vtxreaper
vtxreaper

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:11 am

I will say this though...not sure of all the clearance issues you might have and how the inner fender looks on yours. Testing and measurement pays off on that...we've got plenty of info on the tire measurements..you'd just need to measure your inner fender and such.

Even getting a used tire in the size that might work just to test fit and ride on at first isn't a bad idea. If you want to try the 165r15 first I've got one I had on mine...about 15k on it but plenty of thread left...i went to a bigger wheel/tire combo for more tire choices...prior to Twin finding the 205s to fit our smaller rims.

If you want the tire let me know and I'll send it your way. Very Happy
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:58 am

Waz up Lizard,

Glad to have you as our first Yamaha guy! I agree with toasted...the 165/80/15 would be the ticket for you sir.....I loved mine before I went to the wideside. It has tremendous grip and handles like a dream.

................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  kermit Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:30 pm

Welcome. I have the 165/80/15 and love it. It sets me closer to the ground and I doubt that I'll go wideside, though hubby has. But, like they said, it'll be a great start for ya, even if you do see a need to change later.
kermit
kermit

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:33 pm

kermit wrote:Welcome. I have the 165/80/15 and love it. It sets me closer to the ground and I doubt that I'll go wideside, though hubby has. But, like they said, it'll be a great start for ya, even if you do see a need to change later.

Thanks Kermit.......that's why you are our Queen! :queen: Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

..............bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  lizard Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:27 pm

Thank all of you folks, I will be doing as you advise. I'll be posting again when I do get a tire mounted. Looking at the site, I do have some reading to do. And, I'll let other good people know of this site. I'll be looking at the tires mounted on that 1300 for sure.
Thanks again Toasted, for showing a interest in helping others, and for the info!

lizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:18 pm

lizard wrote:Thank all of you folks, I will be doing as you advise. I'll be posting again when I do get a tire mounted. Looking at the site, I do have some reading to do. And, I'll let other good people know of this site. I'll be looking at the tires mounted on that 1300 for sure.
Thanks again Toasted, for showing a interest in helping others, and for the info!

No problem. Glad to help anyone looking for other options and that show interest. Very Happy
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lizard Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:33 pm

Holy crap! Have you guys looked at that Yamaha site about the car tire? Some one must have. There are guys with Honda Goldwings posting about their car tires, and even those movies you guys have taken of the tire on the back of a Yamaha! WAY TO GO. That 'll open some eyes.

lizard

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:09 pm

lizard wrote:Holy crap! Have you guys looked at that Yamaha site about the car tire? Some one must have. There are guys with Honda Goldwings posting about their car tires, and even those movies you guys have taken of the tire on the back of a Yamaha! WAY TO GO. That 'll open some eyes.

How about a link to the thread? Thanks
See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:37 pm

smokey2255 wrote:
lizard wrote:Holy crap! Have you guys looked at that Yamaha site about the car tire? Some one must have. There are guys with Honda Goldwings posting about their car tires, and even those movies you guys have taken of the tire on the back of a Yamaha! WAY TO GO. That 'll open some eyes.

See you out there
Smokey

Right here.

The search feature there is a PITA if you're not a member....same type questions to do a search as to join most sites..lol
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:41 pm

Toasted_311 wrote:
smokey2255 wrote:

See you out there
Smokey

Right here.

The search feature there is a PITA if you're not a member....same type questions to do a search as to join most sites..lol

Thanks Toasted, good video. Maybe Smokey should embed it in the not a stupid question section.

Thats why I joined the Goldwing site. To search Yellow Wolf.
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:48 am

Muntz wrote:
Toasted_311 wrote:
smokey2255 wrote:

See you out there
Smokey

Right here.

Thanks Toasted, good video. Maybe Smokey should embed it in the not a stupid question section.

Thats why I joined the Goldwing site. To search Yellow Wolf.

I posted them the other day too...before the Yammie site had them...lol...RIght here Wink
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum