Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New member - Much ado about nothing!

+3
kermit
smokey2255
MechE
7 posters

Go down

New member - Much ado about nothing! Empty New member - Much ado about nothing!

Post  MechE Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:22 am

Well guys,

This is probably old hat to alot of you, but when it comes to putting a car tire on a bike, there is much ado about nothing. I torqued my axle on my 1300c yesterday and went for a spin (it was 40 degrees F Shocked ) on my new Kumho, so I guess I am officially now on the Darkside Cool I took it up to about 75 mph on some bumpy and sometimes greasy country roads. Did some twisties, tar snakes, wet, minor gravel and in reality it stuck like glue. I rember that on my old m/t sometimes I would skid a little bit on minor gravel and tar snakes. The only time I ever skid was when I was at a stop sign and my shoes landed on some unseen small bits of gravel and moved around a bit.

I should note that it stood up a little bit faster coming out of a curve, which I could adjust and is not necessarily a bad thing. It cruises better, is quieter and doesn't bounce around as much on some of those hellatious NE Ohio bumpy roads, particularly after winter. In reality I went from an 8 to a 9.5 in terms of performance and 3 to 10 in terms of cost.

So please throw this in the pile of folks who are really glad they made the change and thanks again for doing the leg work, it was fun Very Happy

MechE

MechE

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

New member - Much ado about nothing! Empty Re: New member - Much ado about nothing!

Post  smokey2255 Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:09 am

welcome to the madhouse mech. As long as you go into it knowing that we are all gonna burst into flames Laughing enjoy the fire Evil or Very Mad

see you out there
smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

New member - Much ado about nothing! Empty Re: New member - Much ado about nothing!

Post  kermit Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:23 am

Nuff said. Mine had to be plugged the other night, due to picking up a nail. I wouldn't be comfortable plugging a m/t, but then, this ain't a m/t. Twisted Evil
kermit
kermit

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:22 am

Mech, Glad to hear your review. I like the way it stands up quickly out of the curve, it felt like I was riding a little more aggressive, even though I was just doing what I normally do.

Enjoy the Madness,
Muntz
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:57 pm

Muntz wrote:Mech, Glad to hear your review. I like the way it stands up quickly out of the curve, it felt like I was riding a little more aggressive, even though I was just doing what I normally do.

Enjoy the Madness,
Muntz

You were playing chicken with them suv's again? Laughing That's not a good idea Muntz Shocked There is one law to physics that always applies ........ The laws of tonnage Rolling Eyes

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:19 pm

smokey2255 wrote:
Muntz wrote:Mech, Glad to hear your review. I like the way it stands up quickly out of the curve, it felt like I was riding a little more aggressive, even though I was just doing what I normally do.

Enjoy the Madness,
Muntz

You were playing chicken with them suv's again? Laughing That's not a good idea Muntz Shocked There is one law to physics that always applies ........ The laws of tonnage Rolling Eyes

See you out there
Smokey

Nope, hadn't played chicken with any SUV's since our last ride in the bayou twisties. Shocked Since then I've learned not to "try" to match another rider's "skill" I need lots more hours and miles in the twisties "practicing" my skills before I go balls to the wall tring to keep up with you. I learned a very important lesson that day. Twisted Evil

Now with this broken foot, I've learned another lesson. Damn all these lessons. Buy me books and send me to school and I eat the covers off 'em. Suspect

I'm tired of lessons. Rolling Eyes

Right now I want to ride, even if its strictly superslabbin' I wouldn't care. Twisted Evil
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  vtxreaper Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:09 pm

Did some twisties for the first time today on the C/T. Through the bike from side to side like my old R6, stuck like glue. Much betterer, To bad for all those that are indecisive. They don't know what they are missing. Safety alone is the #1 reason. Good for us, and it is gettin hotter with those flames on my tail!!!!!!!!
REAPS
vtxreaper
vtxreaper

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:49 pm

Muntz wrote:
smokey2255 wrote:

Enjoy the Madness,
Muntz

See you out there
Smokey

Nope, hadn't played chicken with any SUV's since our last ride in the bayou twisties. Shocked Since then I've learned not to "try" to match another rider's "skill" I need lots more hours and miles in the twisties "practicing" my skills before I go balls to the wall tring to keep up with you. I learned a very important lesson that day. Twisted Evil

Now with this broken foot, I've learned another lesson. Damn all these lessons. Buy me books and send me to school and I eat the covers off 'em. Suspect

I'm tired of lessons. Rolling Eyes

Right now I want to ride, even if its strictly superslabbin' I wouldn't care. Twisted Evil

See yall he can be taught. All he needs is the shit scared out of him and a little pain and he picks it right up. Call me Daddy Shocked Twisted Evil I too have learned to ride my own ride. I don't wait up for the rice rockets anymore Very Happy They're big boys they will find their way home. Twisted Evil

See you out there
Smokey

Last edited by smokey2255 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:50 pm

vtxreaper wrote:Did some twisties for the first time today on the C/T. Through the bike from side to side like my old R6, stuck like glue. Much betterer, To bad for all those that are indecisive. They don't know what they are missing. Safety alone is the #1 reason. Good for us, and it is gettin hotter with those flames on my tail!!!!!!!!
REAPS

Nice thing about the car tire is you can get enough grip to outrun huh Reaps?

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  vtxreaper Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:56 pm

Grip to go!!!!!!!! REAPS
vtxreaper
vtxreaper

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:02 pm

Congrats on the switch and welcome!
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  NDAna Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:48 pm

Welcome aboard. Good people and we are of a like mind. We all ACTUALLY ride the DarkSide.
NDAna
NDAna

Number of posts : 62

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:24 am

less fat more filling! Laughing Laughing
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

New member - Much ado about nothing! Empty Hey Muntz

Post  MechE Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:20 am

Enjoy the Madness,
Muntz

Muntz, (Smokey and everyone else),

Thanks for the congrats, it is appreciated. I've been looking on this for awhile now, particularly since I lost about six months between a hip replacement and winter. Read alot about it too. Now having made the step, this is like a no brainer.

Muntz - You bring up a good point about standing up a little sooner. I think this is important particularly in terms of safety. One night in Chagrin Falls a Kaw made a left turn in front of me and the Misses and spilled, trapping his left leg. We both ran out there (me in a Tux and her in a formal gown What a Face ) and lifted the bike off him. He was young and OK, but very embarrassed. He drove off, much more careful. What I remember most was not how far he leaned the bike, but that the skid started just before he was about to stand it up. During a hard turn there is much more weight on that small patch of rubber due to the angle and I have a theory that not only does the larger patch grip better, but the improvement of standing a little sooner prevents alot of us from going too far.

Just my $0.02. Take care of yourself and I am proud to be a Darksider Cool

MechE

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down