Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going about this all wrong - Help!

+2
skullsession
StoneUpNorth
6 posters

Go down

Going about this all wrong - Help! Empty Going about this all wrong - Help!

Post  StoneUpNorth Tue May 26, 2015 11:38 am

I am interested in switching to a CT on my 2008 Yamaha Stratoliner. Like just about everyone who does it, my motivation is to achieve longer tire life at lower cost.
I looked into this last year when I was in desperate need of a new tire, but didn't feel I knew enough to be comfortable moving forward, so I put new MT on instead.
5,000mi later I'm again in need of a new tire & again looking at coming over to the darkside.
I read the forums listing the Goodyear Altimax HP as an excellent choice, but I live in NE Wisconsin & ride into November when temps get low. The Altimax specifically says it is NOT for use in near-freezing conditions (even on a car), so that's not a viable option.
Not understanding why only a small handful of specific tires are recommended on the forums, I started browsing all tires that would fit: 205-215/55-60/17, looking for something that was reasonably priced & had a decent looking tread pattern (because appearance is more important than safety, right?!)
Long story short, I acted hastily and possibly foolishly and bought a Uniroyal TigerPaw in size P215/60/17 95T.
I have not found any postings anywhere from someone running this tire on a bike, and am now wondering if there's any reason that this tire would be a poor choice to run on my Stratoliner.
The weight rating is obviously way more than I need, and I'm not into speed on my cruiser, so the 112mph T rating should be fine.
Can anyone offer some good advice? Am I ok to run with this tire? I have not yet installed, but cannot return the tire for a refund.

StoneUpNorth

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-05-26

Back to top Go down

Going about this all wrong - Help! Empty Re: Going about this all wrong - Help!

Post  skullsession Thu May 28, 2015 12:16 pm

I don't know that tire. But I can tell you this...there are probably a lot of tires that I'd try. I've used 4 different tires on my Vic Cross Country. I've liked them all to a certain degree...some more than others. But I've never felt unsafe on ANY of them. Some ride a little softer than others...but other than that, they've all felt very similar.

Now...I ride on fun-flats and I use a tire pressure monitor system...and I seriously couldn't imagine going dark side without TPMS. BUT...if I were you, I wouldn't be scared to try that tire just because you've not read about anyone else using it. There certainly isn't anything about that tread patter that would scare me away.

As long as it's a size that you know to work on your bike...do it!
skullsession
skullsession

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2013-10-28

Back to top Go down

Going about this all wrong - Help! Empty Fate decides for me

Post  StoneUpNorth Fri May 29, 2015 10:31 am

Well, courtesy of a random drywall screw on the roadway, I've made the official transition to the Darkside.  A flat on my nearly-shot rear on Wednesday necessitated immediate action.  No time to debate whether the Uniroyal was a good choice.  Had to install & see how it works.  As a darkside newbie I experienced what I imagine everyone else has the 1st time out.  No question that a CT feels different than a MT!  Cornering requires purposeful input rather than simply effortlessly "thinking & turning."  My Strat behaves like a "Weeble."  For those not old enough to understand the reference, Weebles were kids toys.  Egg shaped people that were weighted on the bottom & always upright.  Their slogan was: "Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down!"  That's kind of how the bike feels.  It definitely prefers being upright.  That said, I've put about 75mi. on since picking the bike up from the shop & the CT is already feeling less weird than it did initially.  I'm sure I will adjust in no time.  I was surprised at just how much of the tread rises up from the pavement on cornering, though.  Just sitting on the kickstand half the tread is no longer in contact with the pavement.  Is there any reliable, scientific data out there re: contact-patch size when cornering with a CT vs MT? I'm running 35psi currently. I plan to fiddle with tire pressure after getting more acclimated to simply riding with the CT to see if I can improve the ride. Is there a consensus as to where inflation pressure should be initially?

StoneUpNorth

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Sal Fri May 29, 2015 12:56 pm

Keep us in formed on how things progress over the next 100 miles or so.

I just got a call from the shop that my new Austone 175 r16 CT is mounted onto my rim. I also had a new 402 Dunlop WW MT mounted on the front wheel (had been running another dunlop model & was not happy with the mileage or wear pattern). This is on a '03 Victory classic cruiser.
Mike S

Mike Sal

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2015-05-28

Back to top Go down

Post  rrounds Sat May 30, 2015 12:58 pm

I know some riders that use winter tires out back and they still get very good mileage out of them. You can feel how good they grab the road when your in a cold rain storm. If I could find one in my size I'd run one.

ROD

rrounds

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  rossmond Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:37 pm

i would highly recomend this one http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+TripleTred+All-Season&partnum=155VR7ATTAS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes one guy got caught in a snow storm and made it home,im running it on a yamaha v star 1300 205/60/16 v rated apx 28 cold/32 hot psi 12000 miles on it and still looks new,i didnt do it for cost i did it for TRACTION
rossmond
rossmond

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2014-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Danodemotoman Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:37 pm

This tread contact patch comment is used often.
Think about how much tread is off the pavement on a MC tire when leaned over! You only have the "sidewall" tread contacting the pavement in extreme lean.
Most describe that the CT offers more corner traction. That is IMO because there is STILL a larger contact patch than a MC tire.
The CT squats a bit more than a MC tire when loaded due to a less stiff sidewall construction especially cornering v/s sitting so it 'looks' like less contact patch.
My experience with the CT rear is limited to 7 years on the ole Kaw C10 Concours that has limited CT selection, so far....

StoneUpNorth wrote:  Just sitting on the kickstand half the tread is no longer in contact with the pavement.

Danodemotoman

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  rrounds Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:45 pm

A c/t does have more tread on the road in a turn. Go put some water down and ride through it and see how much water the tire puts down on the dry pavement after the wet pavement. Even in a turn the c/t wins hands down. I got a free lunch on that bet. Plus I have not found a motorcycle tire that is as soft as any of the c/t's I've tested.

ROD

rrounds

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Danodemotoman Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:13 pm

Rod, good point on the MC v/s CT tread hardness.
A few years ago read that one used the durometer and tested a few of each and the readings were conclusive that the CT's were softer.
Some arguing against using  a rear CT tend to imagine the opposite! Like many of the 'arguments' against they are not using knowledge but ignorant bias.

Danodemotoman

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum