Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

trying to run an automobile tire on my vtx1300

5 posters

Go down

trying to run an automobile tire on my vtx1300 Empty trying to run an automobile tire on my vtx1300

Post  Monster2266 Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:49 am

this is new to me so any help is appreciated . I'm trying vto run an automobile tire on my honda vtx 1300 but don't know how to go about it for tire size . Any suggestions? thanks

Monster2266

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-08-18

Back to top Go down

trying to run an automobile tire on my vtx1300 Empty Re: trying to run an automobile tire on my vtx1300

Post  Doc Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:28 pm

A 205/70/15 will work fine on your VTX.
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

trying to run an automobile tire on my vtx1300 Empty Ruint my tyre

Post  renorick Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:22 pm

Sad Riding my scoot, VTX 1300R, on hwy 1 & heard somethin' bangin' around my rear fender. Looked in my mirror to see what I ran over, didn't see nothin'. Pulled over looked @ tire, looked ok, got on & rolled it back & forth,ok. Finished my ride home 'bout 60 mi. & the next day noticed my tire goin' down. Damn! Ordered a new tire 'cause i figured tire separation or somethin' like that. Nope, picked up a wheel wt. Damn! Had Grabber UHP-205/70-15, just put it on 2000 mi. ago. Was a good tire, now ruint. Could plug it then patched it but rather not take a chance. Took alot to mount it. Decided to go with Yoko. Avid tour. Easier to mt. but took 120psi. to seat the bead. Glad i went DS, actually DD, put on Mich. alpin 150/80-17 on front. MT. probably would've went down fast. Anyhow, yeah 205 works good & turn the muffler hangar bolt around, then enjoy!
renorick
renorick

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-10-08

Back to top Go down

trying to run an automobile tire on my vtx1300 Empty Re: trying to run an automobile tire on my vtx1300

Post  Monster2266 Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:20 am

thanks I will be running it with a tube because I have spoke wheels,
do I need to change the front to auto tire also

Monster2266

Back to top Go down

Post  Monster2266 Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:26 am

also what is DS or DD don't know the terminology

Monster2266

Back to top Go down

Post  motopsycho Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:33 pm

DS is DarkSide - running a car tire on the back of a motorcycle

DD is Double Darkside - running car tire on the rear of a motorcycle and either a rear motorcycle tire on the front (common) or a car tire on the front (much less common)

motopsycho

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2013-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:53 pm

motopsycho wrote:DS is DarkSide - running a car tire on the back of a motorcycle

DD is Double Darkside - running car tire on the rear of a motorcycle and either a rear motorcycle tire on the front (common) or a car tire on the front (much less common)
Not really part of the definition of Double Darkside. Double Darkside is using a motorcycle tire designated for rear wheel use on the front of a motorcycle.
It is pretty darn rare to even hear of somebody actually using a car tire on the front of a 2 wheel motorcycle (Hollywood Batman bike comes to mind). Mostly because nobody makes a car tire big enough to fit a motorcycle wheel, yet narrow enough to fit the fender and forks. The only use of a car tire on the front I have ever seen was on a trike that had been modified so the width of the tire would fit. And if you want to get technical, a Spyder also uses a car tire on the front.
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:38 pm

Word Up for VTX owners: one of my buds with one of those uses the Dunlop Signature tire and WILL NOT part with it, and it's a 205. rounded shoulders and looks
great, IMO, so I guess it's a good'un. He noticed he could turn tighter with it than the stocker and he hasn't even learned the RLAP techniques, so that got my
attention, being one who teaches that.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  motopsycho Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:19 pm

Doc wrote:
motopsycho wrote:DS is DarkSide - running a car tire on the back of a motorcycle

Not really part of the definition of Double Darkside. Double Darkside is using a motorcycle tire designated for rear wheel use on the front of a motorcycle.
It is pretty darn rare to even hear of somebody actually using a car tire on the front of a 2 wheel motorcycle (Hollywood Batman bike comes to mind). Mostly because nobody makes a car tire big enough to fit a motorcycle wheel, yet narrow enough to fit the fender and forks. The only use of a car tire on the front I have ever seen was on a trike that had been modified so the width of the tire would fit. And if you want to get technical, a Spyder also uses a car tire on the front.
Yeah, I've only seen a CT on the front of trikes and hacks. So, I guess it'd be common for a triple darkside - but not double darkside.

motopsycho

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2013-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down