Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's ON`

4 posters

Go down

It's ON` Empty It's ON`

Post  DocRawk Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:24 am

I'm an official Widesider. It looks pretty dang sweet with the license bracket chopped off and more of the tire exposed. After 50 miles, the ride is, for the most part, like the Kumho. It does take just a bit more effort going into curves, but this is nothing you'd notice for more than 50 miles or so if you've previously ridden the Kumho. I'll be taking her to a concert tonight and riding all day tomorrow, so I can give a more thorough review then. I'll also add some pictures at some point in the very near future. The height of the tire is pretty cool. It feels a bit different coming from the Kumho (shorter than stock), to the Grabber (taller than stock). The best part is that it really feels like it regeared the bike to my style of riding. I have just a little less grunt off of the line, but I've got noticeably more power at 70mph indicated. This is nice for hard roll ons from 70 used for passing and avoiding negligent cagers on the highways in DFW. I'm guessing that the extra height must have put 70 closer to the X's power band. I'm not sure I'd recommend the Grabber for a beginner that hasn't tried the Kumho yet. If you're George and have been riding forever, you're probably fine. If you've only got a couple thousand miles on a m/t under your belt, I'd say go with the 165 for a few thousand miles and get comfortable with the feel and IDEA of riding a car tire. Then step up to the Grabber. You only lose about $40 by going 165 for a while first, and you'll save yourself some butt puckering moments when the bike doesn't respond the exact same way it did with the m/t. Long story short, going from m/t to kumho to grabber is a pretty gradual change that anyone can probably handle. Going from m/t to grabber may be a bit more challenging.
DocRawk
DocRawk

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

It's ON` Empty Re: It's ON`

Post  jedishon Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:39 am

Congrats Doc....You didnt mention any mounting problems, so everything must have went pretty good.
Did you get a measurement of the bead to bead distance before you mounted it? Just curious as to what widths mount the easiest.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:02 pm

Congrats Brandon,

Welcome to the wonderful world of the WIDESIDE........Now you see what all the fuss is about! Awesome aint it?

We will be waiting for your full review!!!!!!!!!........and pics!

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  DocRawk Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:09 pm

There were no issues with mounting the tire. I did notice after putting it on that the rear bolt holding the exhaust mounting bracket to the frame was a little closer to the tire than I was comfortable with. I worried that it might hit the tire when the rear suspension was compressed. I took the wheel back off and reversed the bolt so that the head is on the inside, and everything fits really well now. This may only be a problem for people with HK3's. It'll be sometime next week before I give a really in depth review. I'm not gonna get wild with it until I'm sure all of the mold release is gone. Pics will be up soon though.
DocRawk
DocRawk

Back to top Go down

Post  DocRawk Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:04 am

We rode two up to a concert down in Dallas last night. I didn't check the tripometer, but I'm guessing we did around 100 miles since we took a longer non-highway route down there. Long story short, she handles just as well two up as the Kumho. It'll handle the freeway ramp curves faster than my soon to be wife, Very Happy , will allow me to go with her on the bike. That's around 65mph on a 35mph rated curve. I'll try them a bit faster this afternoon while I'm riding solo. Cool
DocRawk
DocRawk

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:12 pm

We will be needing pictures of the tire, it is required on this web site.
Or these guys will kick you out of the club, with no cookies. Very Happy

wayne

Number of posts : 623

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:46 pm

wayne wrote:We will be needing pictures of the tire, it is required on this web site.
Or these guys will kick you out of the club, with no cookies. Very Happy

BWwhahahah NO pic = NO wideside........... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Just kidding, I had to say that.

We will be waiting for the pic........Brandon!

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:21 am

I have been looking around town for a tire, but cant seem to find one.
Dont like to order without seeing what Im getting, but it looks like Im going to have to do it anyway, thats why I like to see pictures and get the ride reports. The grabber looks like it has a little rounded patteren and is not so flat. But I dont know that I want to go that tall, I have the over sized front tire, 150-17 on the front and that raises the bike up on its own, I dont scrap the floorboard as much as I use to. Want more pictures.

wayne

Number of posts : 623

Back to top Go down

Post  DocRawk Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:34 am

I'll get them up today. Smile
DocRawk
DocRawk

Back to top Go down