Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear tire replacement

4 posters

Go down

Rear tire replacement Empty Rear tire replacement

Post  microcheese Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:11 pm

New to forum. Picked up alot of great advice so far! I recently a purchased a 2006. I've been researching rear tire options and decided to get an extra wheel and Dunlop 175/60/16 ROF. I ordered counteract beads as well. I was wondering if anyone knows of where I can get it mounted in SE Wisconsin? Being a car tire and since I purchased it via the net what approach worked for others for mounting options? I have a 29 inseam and hoping to gain maybe 1/2 inch as well as the other benefits with the conversion. Also any tips on PSI and with the balancing beads do you need a filtered core?

Thanks In advance,
M Cheese

microcheese

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-12-24

Back to top Go down

Rear tire replacement Empty Re: Rear tire replacement

Post  CutterDuck Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:36 am

Most of us running ROF start at 32 psi and then adjust up or down depending on riding style, roads we ride, etc. I would start at 32 and see how it feels, then adjust pressure accordingly. I believe you will find most settle with something between 30 and 32.

Check with your local wally world, many of them will mount a CT, just don't announce what you are doing with it. If they will not mount it, try some of your local independant tire dealers. Usually, cash under the table, no receipt.

Hope this helps and welcome to the darkside.
CutterDuck
CutterDuck

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2011-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:56 am

Welcome
I got my tire mounted at a local mom & pop tire shop.
Carried in and they used their rim grip machine and did it in about 3 minutes. Charged me $8.
I put 3 oz of Dynabeads in, (you don't need a filtered core) they went in easily through my TPMS
valve stems. I'm running 34psi, mostly to keep my TPMS light from flashing.
I used a 195/55/16 size tire, just laid the bike over on the crash bars and it's a simple unbolt/bolt change! thumbup
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:18 am

With the ROF most folks like them at about 32. Your 06 does not have the TPMS so that is not a concern for you.

I get my tires mounted at local car tire stores also, right at $8 to get it done. Removing the wheel from the bike is scary easy. Lay the bike on its right side, preferably in the yard or on a soft mat. remove the wheel like you would a car wheel. 5 lugs then snatch it out like you owned it. If you are not sure about picking the bike up it is a lot easier than it looks.

Make sure the side stand is down.
Back your ass up to the seat, grab the right grip with your left hand, the passenger grab handle with your right, squat down and put your ass on the edge of the seat. Start walking backwards and lifting the bike at the same time. My petite 14 yea rold cheerleader daughter can pick mine up. No that's not a challenge Laughing Laughing If you are not sure yu can do it get a buddy there just in case.

I pick mine up pretty regularly doing demos to show folks how easy it can be.

Enjoy your new tire

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  CutterDuck Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:42 pm

Check out this video to show you how to lay the bike over and remove the wheel and tire as described above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TShysJyHb-0
CutterDuck
CutterDuck

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2011-12-11

Back to top Go down

Rear tire replacement Empty Dunlop RF

Post  microcheese Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:48 pm

Got my spare wheel, polished it up, used Mothers first, some apple cider vinegar and baking soda paste, had the Dunlop 175/60R/16 mounted by a local Honda shop for $20. I'll be adjusting the pressures the tire states max 51lbs. Most darksiders are running Kuhmos at 32. The Honda shop aired it to 42 to start and I'll adjust it from there.

It appears to be about 24 inches tall x 6 7/8 wide. It weighed 36lbs on the head. Will be installing in a few days. I was hoping to gain 1/2 inch lower profile so once it is mounted I'll post back for us short guys. Unfortunatley living in Wisconsin won't be able to ride till the salt and sand are washed away by spring rain. Thanks for those who responded.

[img][/img]From Drop Box" alt="" />

microcheese

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down