Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General R3 questions

Go down

General R3 questions Empty General R3 questions

Post  barbagris Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:57 am

So - having decided that I have to at least try the DARKSIDE for all sorts of reasons.

I have some questions that I have still to find answered/confirmed. This all pertains to R3 standards/classics/roadsters - but some I'm sure relate to just about anything.

First what I understand to be standard wisdom - I take things like making sure the tyre is not too wide/narrow for the rim and is as close as possible to OEM rolling diameter as possible as read.

REAR TYRE.

1) - TYRE TREAD PATTERN - SYMMETRICAL. This makes sense.
2) - TYRE TREAD PATTERN - AVOIDANCE OF CENTRAL SOLID RIB - Supposedly to reduce tendency to follow lines etc in the tarmac. Also understood.

Now then.

Q1) Speed ratings. The OEM tyres are "V" rated. I wonder if anybody has determined whether it is better to stay "V" rated when moving to DS or whether it is better to move up to "Z"- IMO the R3 on M/C rubber really needs "Z"'s due to it's massive torque/power numbers. But I don't know whether perhaps a DS "V" will do the job better as Z rubber is generally harder and warms up slower.

Q2) Tread designs. Taking Symmetrical as read. Are tyres with single patterns centre-edge better or worse than those with two (or more?) distinct tread block shapes?.

Q3) Central tread portion. Seem to be two types - Sort of arrow shaped and blocks to each side of a central void. I wonder if this makes much difference.

Lastly - is there a list anywhere of NOT RECOMMENDED TYRE MANUFACTURERS?.

I ask as I've seen some interesting tyres from UNIROYAL - But so far not seen anybody who's used them. Also seen some interesting all weather tyres whereas most seem to fit summer tyres.

Chris

barbagris

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-10-28

Back to top Go down