Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Nube

+3
Doc
jedishon
ken c
7 posters

Go down

Another Nube Empty Another Nube

Post  ken c Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:24 am

Got the GYTT from tire rack yesterday What a Face , 90 deg. valves are on their way and the tire goes on Saturday. I have been grounded for over a week due to the completely worn out ME880 (a little over 11k on it) that also has a nail in it. The nail came into play on the way home from a 1300 mile weekend...

I have the mcmaster-carr nylon shock bushings installed, shocks at 2, I weight about 185 lbs and I am planning on starting out at 38 PSI, sound about right?
ken c
ken c

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-04-29

Back to top Go down

Another Nube Empty Re: Another Nube

Post  jedishon Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:00 am

Good starting point.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:33 am

Congrats
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  ken c Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:39 am

i just noticed that in the picture of my bike, my bike is in the shadow, ergo, the DARKSIDE Vader
ken c
ken c

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:16 pm

plus1 Congrats on you desire to try the darkside! Welcome to our site.

....................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  pgr_boo Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:15 pm

ken c wrote:Got the GYTT from tire rack yesterday What a Face , 90 deg. valves are on their way and the tire goes on Saturday. I have been grounded for over a week due to the completely worn out ME880 (a little over 11k on it) that also has a nail in it. The nail came into play on the way home from a 1300 mile weekend...

I have the mcmaster-carr nylon shock bushings installed, shocks at 2, I weight about 185 lbs and I am planning on starting out at 38 PSI, sound about right?

I just went darkside and I'm ~230. Started at 44psi, went down to 34, and just went up to 38. I think 36 might be my sleep number (lol). My unsolicited advice is to ride it at least 100 miles before you fuss with the pressure so you're used to the ct. But allow my fat ass to suggest starting out at 34 or 36 psi.

After ~150 miles on the darkside I can say a few things. It won't ride the same as a mt. It's not anywhere near as bad as the anti-ct people say it will be. Some things are worse (turns...but not bad at all) and some things are better (highway riding...very smooth, not to mention acceleration and braking). I'd love to say the handling in turns is every bit as good as a mt but it just ain't so. The ct follows grooves and such a bit but it's nothing to get used to.

I reckon I should just say that there are positives and negatives to running a ct and, as someone who had to put two new rear tires on each year, I'm cool with the negatives because IMHO the positives outweigh them by a lot.

pgr_boo

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

Another Nube Empty re another nube

Post  Larry Simpson Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:56 pm

You need to give it a little more time,if it is following cracks,you are proubably running too high pressure. Also cornering should be a lot better than mc tire once you really get comfortable with it. thumbup thumbup
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  pgr_boo Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:55 pm

Larry Simpson wrote:You need to give it a little more time,if it is following cracks,you are proubably running too high pressure. Also cornering should be a lot better than mc tire once you really get comfortable with it. thumbup thumbup

I started at 44 (max) and wanted more contact so i dropped it to 34. That felt mushy so I'm up to 38. It follows cracks and grooves at all of those pressures. But like i said, it's only a bit and is nothing to get used to.

pgr_boo

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

Another Nube Empty CT issues

Post  Jore346 Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:24 pm

I was so commited to getting a CT today but no one will mount and balance it. I have had three different MC shops pretty much laugh me off the phone. Said I was crazy for even considering doing it. Said if the tire ever let loose it would destroy my rear end and probably me. Anyway I still cant find anyone in the San Antonio, Tx area that will mount and balance. Looking for some input please. Shrug

George

Jore346

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:43 pm

Try your local independent Mom & Pop type tire shop.
Carry your wheel in and ask if they can mount your tire on it for you.
The local shop in my town will do it for $8. Good luck. thumbup
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down