Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CAR RIM MOD

2 posters

Go down

CAR RIM MOD Empty Put the cart before the horse

Post  PACK RAT Mon May 30, 2011 11:07 pm

I don't want to bore anyone with posting similar topics as I have already done but I could really use some help. I took the first step in crossing over by buying my first CT for my Yamaha XS650 hardtail Bobber. The tire I bought is a brand new never used MICHELIN WX4 215 70 R 15 complete with stock rim for the low price of $20. I know it’s kind of like putting the cart before the horse with not knowing how I'm even going to adapt this car rim to fit my bike but I have always been a believer that where there’s a will there's a way and I couldn't pass up the deal. I know that it would probably be easier to install a CT on a MC rim but this is really the complete look I'm after and also I have never been one to take the easy way out. Now I'm at the mercy of you fine people here to help me get this thing mounted I really need direction as to what I will need to buy, where to buy, how to start the mod and finish it. I admit that I'm not that experienced with bike building being that this is my first build but I am a quick learner and very determined as well have friends and family that have mechanics and welding experience and equipment. The bike is still stock and will be getting it's hardtail made up once I get the tire/rim set up so basically I'm starting with a clean slate. PLEASE HELP ANYWAY YOU CAN. Below you will find pictures of the front and back of the rim as well as a picture of a fellow XS650 builder with the car tire and rim.
CAR RIM MOD Cartire005
CAR RIM MOD Cartire006
CAR RIM MOD Cartire007
CAR RIM MOD Cartire008
CAR RIM MOD Cartire
CAR RIM MOD Cartire3

PACK RAT

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-05-16

Back to top Go down

CAR RIM MOD Empty Re: CAR RIM MOD

Post  Fly Tue May 31, 2011 6:51 am

You will have to cut the car rim center out, and the bike rim center out, and weld the center of the bike rim to the outside of the car rim.

Fly
Fly
crazy person

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-12-24

http://vulcanriders.us/forum

Back to top Go down

Post  PACK RAT Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:06 am

Hey Fly,
Thanks for the reply and sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I was wondering if you have any first hand knowledge of this type of mod and if so could you look at the drawing that I designed and tell me what you think and whether it will work? The drum and centre hub of the mc wheel just happens to be the right width for clearing the tire. I can't determine the best way to complete the unfinished side, filling the space and fitting the sprocket. Idealy I think that it would be good if I could run bolts right through everything stating from the sprocket to the center hub . I would like to keep the area in the centre of the car rim recessed as it is in order to keep the original look. I went with the drum instead of disc brakes only for appearance. I would appreciate any advice you can give or if you know someone who might be able to help. Thanks

CAR RIM MOD CARTIRERIM-1

PACK RAT

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum