Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New here, old member to VTXOA, Need some answers about the Dark Side

+2
Doc
fla.cableguy
6 posters

Go down

New here, old member to VTXOA, Need some answers about the Dark Side Empty New here, old member to VTXOA, Need some answers about the Dark Side

Post  fla.cableguy Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:38 pm

First I'm now here , old on VTXOA. I have done lots of mods, and looking for info for going to the dark side and an extra info you can give me on this would be great.....This subject has been beat up over and over, feel bad going here again. OK, here I go. I have a 1300C with MB 10" shocks I'm thinking about going to the Dark Side. Got a few question, but you guy's knew that ! ( I did do a search ) I want to know ! 1) largest on my rim 2) lowest profile 3) Stickest tire 4) Do I need to put a tube in, why ? I think that's all. Can't say how sorry I an for having you guy's revisit this subject, lol. Thanks in advance, Smitt
fla.cableguy
fla.cableguy

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-03-02

Back to top Go down

New here, old member to VTXOA, Need some answers about the Dark Side Empty Re: New here, old member to VTXOA, Need some answers about the Dark Side

Post  Doc Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:09 pm

Welcome Smitt
I've been running a 205/70/15 General grabber on my 1300C for about 2 years,
I have 11 1/2 inch Progressive 440s and I can still get my fat hand up in the fender to work on wiring. Very Happy
1) I believe the widest tire you can run would be a 205 without having to modify the swing arm.
2) Kermit runs a 205/65/15 Good Year Triple Tred, to lower the height of her bike for her "short legs"... A 60 series tire will fit also, it is just that as you shorten the sidewall, it makes it a bit more difficult to get the tire to seat.
3) Any car tire is going to stick better than a motorcycle tire. Twin has a write up on here about measuring the durometer of each.
4) Nope, no tube required.

Your 10 inch shocks lower your bike just over an inch from stock, but I think you could still fit a 70 series tire under your C fender, but I assume from your questions that you are wanting something of a lower profile, then a 205/60/15 might be what you are looking for. Be aware that the shorter tire sizes will reduce your final drive ratio, up your rpm's, reduce your mpg, and prolly correct the 10% error that Honda equips the speedometer with. Very Happy
Whatever tire you choose, clean your inside rim lip well and use lots of lube to help it seat. Good luck...
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

New here, old member to VTXOA, Need some answers about the Dark Side Empty Re: New here, old member to VTXOA, Need some answers about the Dark Side

Post  fla.cableguy Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:10 pm

Good point, never crossed my mind. The shorter the side wall the less you have to work with and the more force it would take to pull in into and over the rim. As well I'm sure the force pushing on the rim outward would allso be much greater. I do all my work, but have never did the tires, just not worth it to me ,will pay that part done. Sure I can find some one local to do it. I am running now a Metz 880. Its a good tire, but I'm pretty sure it has a broken belt, kinda pissed tire only has 4000 on it. You said a 60 would fit, any clue how high the side wall in compaired to the 880 ? Thanks Smitt
fla.cableguy
fla.cableguy

Back to top Go down

Post  jaarch Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:19 pm

The sidewall on my 205/60 15 Michelin H.E. is right at 4 inches. The sidewall on my old Metzler 880 is about 4 3/4 inches (measured to where the rim lip would be and on a very worn tire, not mounted).

jaarch

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2010-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  fla.cableguy Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:33 pm

How much effect did it have on your speedo and how much do you notice how much lower it is ? Thanks, Smitt
jaarch wrote:The sidewall on my 205/60 15 Michelin H.E. is right at 4 inches. The sidewall on my old Metzler 880 is about 4 3/4 inches (measured to where the rim lip would be and on a very worn tire, not mounted).
fla.cableguy
fla.cableguy

Back to top Go down

Post  jaarch Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:17 pm

fla.cableguy wrote:How much effect did it have on your speedo and how much do you notice how much lower it is ? Thanks, Smitt
jaarch wrote:The sidewall on my 205/60 15 Michelin H.E. is right at 4 inches. The sidewall on my old Metzler 880 is about 4 3/4 inches (measured to where the rim lip would be and on a very worn tire, not mounted).

I have a speedohealer so I just had to recalibrate it and it is dead on once again. It did lower my bike about 1/2 an inch and I do notice it. I will be going to a 205/70 15 as soon as I wear this one out (it will be a while).

jaarch

Back to top Go down

Post  fla.cableguy Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:53 pm

Ok, after getting feed back, reading some posts. I'm sold. Going 205/60. The pipes I have use the stock mounting bracket. so will be turning screws around. Thanks for the input guys, been a big help, cudos to the Chief. Smitt
fla.cableguy
fla.cableguy

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:45 pm

C muffler brackets bolts aren't usually a problem like on a R/S.
Yeah Joe is a great guy! Very Happy
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jaarch Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:10 pm

00 Doc wrote:C muffler brackets bolts aren't usually a problem like on a R/S.
Yeah Joe is a great guy! Very Happy

Aww shucks. Embarassed Thanks Wes.

jaarch

Back to top Go down

Post  fla.cableguy Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:48 am

Ok I'm workin on this today, what is the amount or weight of the Dyna beads I have to put in, Thanks, Smitt
fla.cableguy
fla.cableguy

Back to top Go down

New here, old member to VTXOA, Need some answers about the Dark Side Empty re new here,old member to vtxoa,need some answers about the darkside

Post  Larry Simpson Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:09 am

Most are running 3oz.in ct and 2oz in mc tire.Seems to work really well.
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  fla.cableguy Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:17 am

Wha are they made of ? Smitt
fla.cableguy
fla.cableguy

Back to top Go down

New here, old member to VTXOA, Need some answers about the Dark Side Empty re new here,old member to vtxoa,need some answers about the darkside

Post  Larry Simpson Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:32 am

I really don't know,Lham just brought them to me and said here try these they seem to work good and they do.Sorry didn't have an answer for you.
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  jaarch Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:45 am

fla.cableguy wrote:Wha are they made of ? Smitt

High-density ceramic bead.

jaarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:14 pm

fla.cableguy wrote:Ok I'm workin on this today, what is the amount or weight of the Dyna beads I have to put in, Thanks, Smitt

Another convert!!!! cheers cheers cheers
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  motor5-0 Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:22 am

Don't mean to hijack, but I have some questions along the same lines as fla.cableguy. I'm also a long time member of VTXOA (VTXretro1300).

I'm seriously considering ditching the MT for the longer life CT. I see a lot installation information of the 1300C, what are the major things I should be aware of for an 03 1300R? I do know I will have to turn the exhaust bracket bolts around...right?

I'm thinking about going with a directional tread tire with a price point under $100. What's a good suggestion on a tire?

How tough would the removal of the MT and install of the CT be to do on my own? I'm guessing difficult as I don't have the right tools. If I were to take the tire into a shop..either motorcycle or auto....do you think I will need to remove the brake rotor?

Thanks for any input and suggestions you may have.
motor5-0
motor5-0

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  CaribCruiser Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:18 pm

CableGuy & Motor5-0, both welcome.

Motor5-0,
Regarding tires below $ 100, check this: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/toggleShowingAllTireProducts.do?fcpr=2&counter=1&fclr=*&ar=65&fcsr=*&fcs=false&rd=15&fcb=*&sw=false&cs=205

Also the Michelin Hydredge can be found just below $ 110.
The Uni Royal, made by Michelin is $ 75

Check this site, do a search to see what others ride
No difficulties as far as I know for the "R". Maybe just the bolts as you mentioned.

Let us know guys, pic's are always welcome.
Wink
CaribCruiser
CaribCruiser

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down