Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Windsheilds put the joy in joyride

+7
Badmoon
jedishon
Toasted_311
cerooth
Muntz
twin1300
ttexastim
11 posters

Go down

Windsheilds put the joy in joyride Empty Windsheilds put the joy in joyride

Post  ttexastim Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:26 pm

So today was the first day I've ridden since my windshield got broken off the bike. So I thought I'd post my opinion on riding without a windshield. Just to preface, I've had my bike for 1 1/2 years now, and had an 8 year break from motorcycles before that, so It's been 10+ years since I've ridden without a windshield.

The ride to work today wasn't fun at all. I typically love my rides in to work, but without a windshield, it was hell.

- First, I felt the force of all the air blowing right against my torso. Instead of sitting relaxed, I was completely tense having to use my muscles to hold my torso upright. Then, as cars switch lanes around me, little gaps in that air happen, which makes me pull myself forward, so I'm sure it looked funny.

- Second, I couldn't hear a damn thing! With my windshield, I can hear the purr of my engine, and my sons soft voice when we ride on the freeway. Today, all I could hear is air blowing past my ears. Since I don't have a tach, I just had to let my body drive the thing like I always do. I use a half helmet, so maybe that isn't so bad with a full, but it got annoying really quick. Also, I was nearing the mileage where I usually have to switch to reserve. Normally I just listen to the engine and it lets me know right away when it's running low. I had to pray that I'd feel the thing start to surge down to let me know that I needed to switch cuz I sure couldn't hear the engine.

- Third, I felt every single piece of dirt that any car in front of me threw up at me. That also detracts from what is supposed to be a good ride.

Needless to say, I will be getting a new windshield as soon as possible. I will probably go with the Plexifairing 3 since it is like what I had before and I loved my rides before. Why mess with a good thing. Does anyone have experience from going from a windshield like a plexifairing 3 down to something a little smaller?

My favorite quote I've heard on my shadow site is that the difference between having a windsheild and not having one is the difference between "riding a bike" and "holding on to it".
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Windsheilds put the joy in joyride Empty Re: Windsheilds put the joy in joyride

Post  twin1300 Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:35 pm

+ 1 On every thing you said.

.................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:58 pm

I like the wind in my face, of course I wear leather and a full face. I cant stand the half helmet because of the wind noise. I'd be curious to ride a bike with a full windshield at Interstate speeds, just to see what it was like. I like the clean look of not having a windshield. A guy said to me that I'd be wishing I had one if I ever hit an owl. About a week later I was just telling that same story to a buddy earlier that night. On the way home doing 70 I hit an owl. I saw him comming in at the last possible second, I made a quick dodge away from him but still took the owl in the hand, up my arm and into my chest. I just glad I got most of him with the bar and mirror. Took alot of the force of the blow.
I figured since I got that out the way, whats the chance of taking another owl to the chest, so therefore no windshield.
I glad I'm getting all this troublesome stuff out of the way early in my riding career. Laughing
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  cerooth Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:19 pm

Just be glad you didn't ride through east Texas during Spring. Shortly after I did with a full face helmut I made sure I didn't do that again, I got a windshield after I got back and cleaned all the bugs off. Never really thought of gnats to be anything other than annoying until that day.
cerooth
cerooth
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 569
Registration date : 2007-12-15

https://www.facebook.com/#!/cerooth

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:03 pm

cerooth wrote:Just be glad you didn't ride through east Texas during Spring. Shortly after I did with a full face helmut I made sure I didn't do that again, I got a windshield after I got back and cleaned all the bugs off. Never really thought of gnats to be anything other than annoying until that day.

Or the rice fields of Eastern Arkansas....swarms of Mosquitos and the june bugs at 70 feel like a damn bullet. Shocked
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:51 am

twin1300 wrote:+ 1 On every thing you said.

.................bobby

+2 Ditto Ditto Ditto
Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:04 am

I agree to the whole style of the bike without a windshield comment above. I put a windshield on my F model for the wife. I spent the extra money for the easy brackets so I could take it off in a hurry. After installing the windshield it has yet to come off. It is a much more relaxing ride and here in Louisiana there is 31 flavors of bugs. With the windshiled I dont have to mess with that. One more thing, I wear a half helmet and without the windshield it is like wearing a parachute on my head. There is no doubt that the windshield is where it is at. I guess if you was to just run 30 35 mph and never open it up. I would take it off more often, but as of now I put it on and have never taken it off other than to clean the machine and then put it right back on. The comfort level far exceeds the cool level. When I ride I ride for me not others. Aint that what it is about anyway? Mabye I got it wrong, donno...

Peace yall.
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  DocRawk Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:17 pm

I've been looking into a removable one... The bugs really aren't that bad if you live in the city, and I've gotten used to 70-90mph in my chest on the interstate. I kinda even like it. I do want my girl to ride with me more, and she complains about the wind if I go any faster than 55mph. She got really pissed on a ride a couple weekends ago. Almost pulled a Muntz. Had a grackle picking the guts off of some road kill almost take my head off at 70. Karen was on the back and said she felt feathers. I think what made her the most angry is that I ducked out of the way. If I'd stayed upright, I would have taken it, and she'd have never known it happened... Laughing Laughing Laughing My worst experience on the bike so far was taking a bee on the inside of my right bicep. It felt like a rock, but when it kept throbbing I looked down and saw the damn stinger sticking out of my skin. Let me tell ya, picking out a bee stinger at 70mph is a ton of fun... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
DocRawk
DocRawk

Number of posts : 118

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:50 pm

When in Panama City many moons back. I took out a seagul at 55 mph. Was not a good thing as I was riding a sport bike and in fraffic. I about took out a pick up and the car behind me about took me out. Inexperience played a part of this as well. A june bug at 70 on the bridge of the nose. That one was funny after I got stopped and the tears cleared.

As the younger crowd says. "Windshields are the shiznit" Not lookin to eatin more bugs.
Done wit dat.

Peace
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:56 pm

Man, I hear ya'.

I mean the "Wheelie King" is maybe tougher than me. But I am tired of being tuff when the rain is blasting down and you have to keep us with traffic or get run over with a 3/4 helmet on or have bug guts stuck to your shirt and people are look at you funny or suicide birds that kamikazes you. Give me the windshield any day! Call me a sissygirl!!!!!!!!!!! I don't care. I am riding with a windshield. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

..................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:06 pm

Sissygirl.. Me too. Bug guts dont taste like chicken.
Badmoon
Badmoon

Back to top Go down

Post  TennX Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:59 pm

My solution was if I plan a ride in the city I take the ms fats off, but if I know Im going on the highway or the country the shield goes on, I wear a half helmet all year,winter it has a storm curtain, summer no curtain but ear plugs. Im just old that way, have a good one
TennX
TennX

Number of posts : 143

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:39 pm

Last year, a group rode to Little Rock....two sport bikes, a 1400 sans shield and me with shield.
We passed thru a swarm...a big swarm of bees....I got one sting on my arm and that's it...the poor guy on the sport bike looked like a pin cushion...he was up front too...but still. Shocked
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:16 pm

If I ever do a windshield I think it will be the removeable fairing. The looks of the bike Im doing for me, If I cared what most other people thought I wouldn't be riding on a car tire.
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Back to top Go down

Post  Tanglefoot Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:50 am

Everyone has the right to ride with or without a windshield. It is your bike so make it look like you want it to look. It is a personal thing. Riding a lot without a windshield at 70MPH for a long distance will make your neck look like a bull elk's neck during the rut. Your neck will be twice the size it should be. Me, I like the windshield and wouldn't ride without one. If for some reason you get caught behind a 'rockbucket' (gravel truck) and he happens to let fly with a couple of those missles he is carrying the windshield will keep then off you as well the sandblasting performed on your body if he is carrying sand. Muntz you are allowed to be an individual and not ride with one, it is you choice. A lot of Harley riders don't like them either and that doesn't make you a Harley rider. Laughing Laughing
Tanglefoot
Tanglefoot
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 259

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:46 am

Took a June bug in the throat once....hurt for a couple days.
Anyone riding without a windshield is braver and or tougher than I am.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:54 am

I dont know why they call em "June" bugs. They're here most of the year. I say we call em most of the year bugs.
but remember
"Opinions vary" <------ also stolen
Muntz
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Back to top Go down

Post  cerooth Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:20 pm

You know it'd hurt if you have a June bug put a crack in your windshield. If I really wanted to care about the looks of the bike, then it'd never leave the garge. For me function and comfort is more important then the looks. About the only thing I have put on that was to please the look of my X is the chrome trim around the fenders and tank. I first just did the tank and thought to myself, it doesn't look just right. After I put the trim on the fenders I had to wonder just why more didn't do that. I'd agree that it doesn't look good when it cracks, but at $8 for 20 feet, it's easy to replace.
cerooth
cerooth
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 569

https://www.facebook.com/#!/cerooth

Back to top Go down

Windsheilds put the joy in joyride Empty windshields

Post  Tommy Kelly Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:20 am

I had the same thoughts also for a while. I liked the looks without a shield. But I gave in and got a Memphis fats 21" shield and put it on. I was also going to remove it when not on long trips but once I rode with it I will never be without one again. I even have a replacement shield sitting in a closet at my house in case mine gets cracked or something I can replace it as soon as I get home without wating for it to come in. And I was dead set aganst it until my first ride with one. The reason I have a spare is that I bought the gradient tinted shield and the tint faded and Memphis fats replaced it for free and said to destroy the shield and to send them the sticker off the shield. I went to a parts house and got a can of spraypaint for plastic and took the shield off and taped it off and spraypainted the bottom black and it looks fine to me. So I am still running the original shield and they sent me a free replacement for the faded shield and it was fine except for the faded bottom. I couldn't see destroying a perfectly good shield.

Tommy Kelly

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum