Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Centerline Offsets

4 posters

Go down

Centerline Offsets Empty Centerline Offsets

Post  quadancer Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:18 am

In case anyone didn't understand what I was surmising, I drew it up on a CAD program. My theory is that the less offset there is, the less crossover effect you will get when changing directions:
Centerline Offsets TireOffsets

The closer to stock width you have, of course the closer to stock handling it will be, despite tire shape itself. The more square a CT is, the more
exaggeration of offset you will have. So my preference would be close to stock width, with as much of a rounded edge as possible. Considering the
advanced milage of CT's on a bike, you'd still have one heckofa tire!
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Centerline Offsets Empty re center line offset

Post  Larry Simpson Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:17 pm

I understand your drawings but I have found that the ride and handling is much better with a wider tire ,you just have to be more delibert in turning with the wider tire which to me is a good thing (not so easy to oversteer)I would suggest riding one for yourself before forming an opinion,just because it looks good on paper it doesn't always work out that way. lol! lol!
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Centerline Offsets Empty Re: Centerline Offsets

Post  twin1300 Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:22 pm

Larry Simpson wrote:I understand your drawings but I have found that the ride and handling is much better with a wider tire ,you just have to be more deliberate in turning with the wider tire which to me is a good thing (not so easy to oversteer)I would suggest riding one for yourself before forming an opinion,just because it looks good on paper it doesn't always work out that way. lol! lol!

+1 on what Larry said.

Don't get us wrong! We understand what you were saying...... just that's not the results we have found. Some people can never keep up with us even with a motorcycle tires. We don't oversteer any more and goes were we point it is what I have found with much more assurance.

Thanks for the drawing, but we have seen and been told this many times by just about all the nay sayers...LOL

................................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:34 pm

twin1300 wrote:
Larry Simpson wrote:I understand your drawings but I have found that the ride and handling is much better with a wider tire ,you just have to be more deliberate in turning with the wider tire which to me is a good thing (not so easy to oversteer)I would suggest riding one for yourself before forming an opinion,just because it looks good on paper it doesn't always work out that way. lol! lol!

+1 on what Larry said.

Don't get us wrong! We understand what you were saying...... just that's not the results we have found. Some people can never keep up with us even with a motorcycle tires. We don't oversteer any more and goes were we point it is what I have found with much more assurance.

Thanks for the drawing, but we have seen and been told this many times by just about all the nay sayers...LOL

................................bobby

+1 to both of the above. I see what it says on paper but that just isn't the reality of it. Heck on paper a bumble bee shouldn't fly, but at 70 mph they smack ya pretty good.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:34 pm

DO understand that I was not naysaying - I'm a darksider at heart already! It was just the picture in my mind's eye and I put it on paper.
Nice to hear that understeer is a good thing...I'd not have thought of it that way.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:36 pm

DO understand that I was not naysaying - I'm a darksider at heart already! It was just the picture in my mind's eye and I put it on paper.
Nice to hear that understeer is a good thing...I'd not have thought of it that way.
You cats may be a bit sensitive with so many uneducated naysayers around; take it easy. I dun me homewerk.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Centerline Offsets Empty RE CENTERLINE OFSETS

Post  Larry Simpson Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:01 pm

I am sorry if it came out that way to you,I understand that you are not a nasayer was just trying to insert that experience teaches a different lesson than what would appear to be so on the surface. Larry S.
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:21 am

Okay, I got out of bed this morning to ask this one that occurred to me:
Since there is a changeover of steering from lean into countersteering at 15 mph, and the gyroscopic rotation of the tires
increases from that point, object avoidance requires more and more effort the faster you go.

As you guys have pointed out, there is more resistance to lean with the CT. I had asked in another thread if anyone had done
RLAP riding with the cones on a CT, and was it harder. The answers were scarce (only 2% of the biking population have even
learned it) but the consensus here was it does not hurt a thing and one guy had actually done it, also one on the Harley forum.

BUT...the last exercise of the RLAP has you going thru 30' spaced cones at 20mph; an easy enough task, that requires full
countersteering. I did it on the Herry (forgetting the speed I was supposed to use) at 35, coming out of the cone line at 25, the
35 being impossible to do.
I'm betting that with the CT, and the additional offset, the max avoidance speed is less, since there is even MORE resistance.
Someone willing to do the test? It would be nice to know, and I will eventually, when I wear out the dragon on the back.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:56 am

quadancer wrote:Okay, I got out of bed this morning to ask this one that occurred to me:
Since there is a changeover of steering from lean into countersteering at 15 mph, and the gyroscopic rotation of the tires
increases from that point, object avoidance requires more and more effort the faster you go.

As you guys have pointed out, there is more resistance to lean with the CT. I had asked in another thread if anyone had done
RLAP riding with the cones on a CT, and was it harder. The answers were scarce (only 2% of the biking population have even
learned it) but the consensus here was it does not hurt a thing and one guy had actually done it, also one on the Harley forum.

BUT...the last exercise of the RLAP has you going thru 30' spaced cones at 20mph; an easy enough task, that requires full
countersteering. I did it on the Herry (forgetting the speed I was supposed to use) at 35, coming out of the cone line at 25, the
35 being impossible to do.
I'm betting that with the CT, and the additional offset, the max avoidance speed is less, since there is even MORE resistance.
Someone willing to do the test? It would be nice to know, and I will eventually, when I wear out the dragon on the back.

At slow speed I turn with the handle bars. Anything above the 15mph mark is countersteer. There really is no such thing as lean. If you are leaning to the left your left hand is actually putting more pressure on your left hand grip (countersteer). You can also turn left by pulling the right grip. Also a car tire, when inflated is not totally flat, it has a roundness to it.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:45 am

quadancer wrote:DO understand that I was not naysaying - I'm a darksider at heart already! It was just the picture in my mind's eye and I put it on paper.
You cats may be a bit sensitive with so many uneducated naysayers around; take it easy. I dun me homewerk.

We NEVER accused you of being a naysayer...just that they use the same theory all the time.

What we are trying to say is.....that what works on paper doesn't necessarily show up in real life. The reason why the diagram doesn't work is with lower pressures the roll factor doesn't play because of the compression of the thread of the car tire does comform to the road some with the flex of the side walls, thus the angle of the dangle doesn't quite represent what's on paper. LOL Just a thought for you to consider.

We are glad to have you here and a darksider.

.........................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:46 am

quadancer wrote:DO understand that I was not naysaying - I'm a darksider at heart already! It was just the picture in my mind's eye and I put it on paper.

We NEVER accused you of being a naysayer...just that they use the same theory all the time.

What we are trying to say is.....that what works on paper doesn't necessarily show up in real life. The reason why the diagram doesn't work is with lower pressures the roll factor doesn't play because of the compression of the thread of the car tire does comform to the road some with the flex of the side walls, thus the angle of the dangle doesn't quite represent what's on paper. LOL Just a thought for you to consider.

We are glad to have you here and a darksider.

.........................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down