Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

one hell of a storm

+6
jedishon
Toasted_311
Muntz
Daniel Meyer
ttexastim
smokey2255
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

one hell of a storm Empty one hell of a storm

Post  smokey2255 Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:01 am

We had a storm blow through last night with 70 mph winds and lots of rain. My son was talking to a buddy on his cell and he was telling my boy about all the semi's they had seen blown over on the interstate. My boy got to thinking about that and checked on my bike and sure enough it had been blown over by the storm. I don't know the damage if any as it was still raining and blowing with lots of lightning when I righted it. So respecting the forces of nature as I do, I hurried my azz back inside. But thanks to something I read in one of Daniel Meyers books I will pull the plugs and clear the cylinder out before starting it.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

one hell of a storm Empty Re: one hell of a storm

Post  ttexastim Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:15 am

Now that is some strong winds!! That sucks man.

About a week ago we had some strong winds come howling through. I went out to my bike after work and noticed that a few of the bikes were on their center stands. I didn't even take notice of why, till I was putting my gloves on and noticed my bike was slightly lifting off the kickstand now and then from the wind. Guess I got lucky!!

Why did Daniel say to remove the plugs and clear out the cylinders? Just curious.
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel Meyer Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:53 am

ttexastim wrote:
Why did Daniel say to remove the plugs and clear out the cylinders? Just curious.

My Valk sat on it's side for a while story here and accumulated a bit of oil and fuel in the downside cylinders. Essentially hydrolocked, but worse, as only partially. Had I attempted to start it I could have torn up a starter gear, or worse, bent a crank etc...
Daniel Meyer
Daniel Meyer

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-12-25

http://lifeisaroad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:42 am

smokey2255 wrote:We had a storm blow through last night with 70 mph winds and lots of rain. My son was talking to a buddy on his cell and he was telling my boy about all the semi's they had seen blown over on the interstate. My boy got to thinking about that and checked on my bike and sure enough it had been blown over by the storm. I don't know the damage if any as it was still raining and blowing with lots of lightning when I righted it. So respecting the forces of nature as I do, I hurried my azz back inside. But thanks to something I read in one of Daniel Meyers books I will pull the plugs and clear the cylinder out before starting it.

See you out there
Smokey

If you woulda had that bike in the house, that never would have happened. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:07 am

Muntz wrote:
smokey2255 wrote:We had a storm blow through last night with 70 mph winds and lots of rain. My son was talking to a buddy on his cell and he was telling my boy about all the semi's they had seen blown over on the interstate. My boy got to thinking about that and checked on my bike and sure enough it had been blown over by the storm. I don't know the damage if any as it was still raining and blowing with lots of lightning when I righted it. So respecting the forces of nature as I do, I hurried my azz back inside. But thanks to something I read in one of Daniel Meyers books I will pull the plugs and clear the cylinder out before starting it.

See you out there
Smokey

If you woulda had that bike in the house, that never would have happened. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

There's a reason it is not in the house....... The front steps are too steep. Got it to the top of the steps and it bottomed out HARD. It was all i could do to keep it from falling over there. Had a hell of a time chasing it back down the steps. Plan now is to load it in the back of the truck then unload it on the porch then into the house. With all the storms we have had I want to wait til it dries up some but I don't have to time to wait on it to dry up. I will get it moved in tonight.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:09 am

yep, we had those storms here too....I strapped my bike down to the concrete in the fence posts and such...didn't feel like buying new bags.

And work actually acted human last night...sent folks home before it got really bad and I didn't have to go in. We got hit hard at work from what I've heard so far. Roof mainly but there was no reason for me to baby sit a powerless warehouse for 12 hours. Very Happy
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:27 am

Toasted_311 wrote:yep, we had those storms here too....I strapped my bike down to the concrete in the fence posts and such...didn't feel like buying new bags.

And work actually acted human last night...sent folks home before it got really bad and I didn't have to go in. We got hit hard at work from what I've heard so far. Roof mainly but there was no reason for me to baby sit a powerless warehouse for 12 hours. Very Happy

Sure there is.....its called "milking the clock" lol!
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:31 am

smokey2255 wrote:
Muntz wrote:

See you out there
Smokey

There's a reason it is not in the house....... The front steps are too steep. Got it to the top of the steps and it bottomed out HARD. It was all i could do to keep it from falling over there. Had a hell of a time chasing it back down the steps. Plan now is to load it in the back of the truck then unload it on the porch then into the house. With all the storms we have had I want to wait til it dries up some but I don't have to time to wait on it to dry up. I will get it moved in tonight.

See you out there
Smokey

There ya go. Plan your work and work your plan. Its been staying pretty wet down here too. I don't mind cold, but I hate cold and wet. And once my feet get damp and cold, Im ready to go back inside and find a heater or fireplace.
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:44 am

Daniel Meyer wrote:
ttexastim wrote:

My Valk sat on it's side for a while story here and accumulated a bit of oil and fuel in the downside cylinders. Essentially hydrolocked, but worse, as only partially. Had I attempted to start it I could have torn up a starter gear, or worse, bent a crank etc...

Daniel....Thank you for posting
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Tanglefoot Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:06 pm

Daniel Meyer, wrote:

Go back to his post in this tread and click on story here and read the short story. Very good, it was like reading a modern day western novel.
Tanglefoot
Tanglefoot
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  cerooth Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:17 pm

I'm glad you've had a chance to enjoy the storms I've been sending you. I don't see it ending anytime soon since I'm living off beans and talking up a storm just trying to get my foot in the door. I did get a small ray of hope today, I heard back from 2 places and might even get an interview sometime next week. At this point I'm just looking for something to pay the bills then try to plan a way to get to MMI next year.
cerooth
cerooth
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 569

https://www.facebook.com/#!/cerooth

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:36 pm

cerooth wrote:I'm glad you've had a chance to enjoy the storms I've been sending you. I don't see it ending anytime soon since I'm living off beans and talking up a storm just trying to get my foot in the door. I did get a small ray of hope today, I heard back from 2 places and might even get an interview sometime next week. At this point I'm just looking for something to pay the bills then try to plan a way to get to MMI next year.
Good luck with the interviews.
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:50 pm

smokey2255 wrote:
Muntz wrote:

See you out there
Smokey

See you out there
Smokey

Just ask twin to send you a bunch of stuff. Then you can use the empty boxes to build up enough of a ramp to get the bike in the house. Just a thought. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ttexastim
ttexastim

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:55 pm

ttexastim wrote:
smokey2255 wrote:
Muntz wrote:

See you out there
Smokey

See you out there
Smokey

Just ask twin to send you a bunch of stuff. Then you can use the empty boxes to build up enough of a ramp to get the bike in the house. Just a thought. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

As I said Timmmyyyyyy is gonna fit right in here. Laughing
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:56 pm

Muntz wrote:
Toasted_311 wrote:yep, we had those storms here too....I strapped my bike down to the concrete in the fence posts and such...didn't feel like buying new bags.

Sure there is.....its called "milking the clock" lol!

Yes, there's milking the clock...but we had no internet, no cable, no techs to work on trucks...it'd have been me and the foreman...for 12 hours...no thanks...only can play poker or board games for so long...and my little 13" portable TV doesn't do justice for the PS3 and still no internet. Cool

Muntz...get a damn router and join us online...don't make me start a collection fund. Twisted Evil
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:18 pm

I'll get the router when I get done remodeling this house.

That whole 12 hrs with no 'lectricity and just you and the foreman sounds pretty damn boring. Unless you had a good book to read and a cozy little spot to take a nap, I wouldn't go in either.
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:29 pm

I'm glad you guys made it through OK. It does seem funny to me hearing about a bad storm and 70mph winds. Here in WY we don't even start complaining about the wind until about then. WE see 100+ several times a year and probably 3-4 semi's a year tip over in Casper alone.

About a month ago we set a new state record for wind speed about 150 miles from here. It hit 127.3mph!!

Here it only barely broke 95mph that same day and with an actual temp of 7 the windchill was about 748million degrees below zero it seemed affraid

Winter here sucks fo sure, good thing the summers are wonderful.

An idea about getting your bike indoors, do you have a ramp to load it in the back of the truck? If so you might be able to use that ramp to bypass the steps and right in the door.

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:55 pm

I know my storm story is pretty lame compared to a lot of the daily life issues so many deal with. I was impressed that the wind lifted a 700 lb bike off the stand and slammed it to the ground. Luckily all it suffered is a little tank ding that I probably will not even bother filling yet.
I have tried to ramp it up to the porch. I have a wrap around brick porch that is almost 4 feet off the ground. I will load it in the truck (as soon as I can get away from work long enough) then unload it on the porch then into the house from there. The bike should be easy enough to manuever around on the porch it is just getting it loaded and unloaded that has me concerned. But the ground is freezing again and I am headed home right now so........ I am gonna try tonight. I have reduced myself to 3 must do things before I leave. Paint tins, risers and cruise pegs. If time permits steering bearings. Got to go

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:11 pm

smokey2255 wrote:I know my storm story is pretty lame compared to a lot of the daily life issues so many deal with. I was impressed that the wind lifted a 700 lb bike off the stand and slammed it to the ground. Luckily all it suffered is a little tank ding that I probably will not even bother filling yet.

See you out there
Smokey

A tank ding! Heck it didn't take a strong wind to ding my tank...just "smoke"...... or was that a "Smokey". Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

............bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:38 pm

twin1300 wrote:
smokey2255 wrote:I know my storm story is pretty lame compared to a lot of the daily life issues so many deal with. I was impressed that the wind lifted a 700 lb bike off the stand and slammed it to the ground. Luckily all it suffered is a little tank ding that I probably will not even bother filling yet.

See you out there
Smokey

A tank ding! Heck it didn't take a strong wind to ding my tank...just "smoke"...... or was that a "Smokey". Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

............bobby

I seem to remember something about that. silent
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:40 pm

Muntz wrote:
twin1300 wrote:

See you out there
Smokey

............bobby

I seem to remember something about that. silent

You see....I got a witness............ Sad Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing I think I will keep it there, when people ask me what happened, I just tell them it was from the most fun I ever had working on bikes and riding with my new found friends for life..... Wink

........bobby

Last edited by on Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:42 pm

Laughing silent silent silent silent silent
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:36 am

Ummmm .......... I don't know nuttin bout that Embarassed Embarassed Very Happy

That was a good night....... I know I apolagized for the ding...but........ I didn't mean it Shocked Laughing I did feel bad bout that Bobby........... for all of about 1 second. When you took it like I woulda I knew we were good. I have a habit of leaving my mark whereever I go Laughing

my bike is in the house, gonna get tore down tonight. Unfortunately my home puter died on me yesterday and I have to take it to the shop so no pics. If Twin is game I can text him pics of the bike in house and let him post em for me.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:03 pm

Okay ... this sounds like a story I gotta here. How exactly did "the smoke" ding Twin's tank??? Inquiring minds want to know!!
ttexastim
ttexastim

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:05 am

I rode 800 miles just so I could show Twin how to do the pair valve removal
(a little creative license there). I had never worked on a bike that was lifted before and as I was lifting his tank the bars swung around and dinged his tank, showing bare metal too. I got to tell you I felt bad, but Twin let me know quick that it is just a bike and now he just had something to remember me by. Well now knowing he felt the same way about it as I do my own I got over the feel bad quick and the three (Twin,Muntz and myself) of us had a great tech session and an awesome midnight ride. Not to mention all the laughing and bsing we did. It was a great night. You would of thought the three of us had known each other all of our lives instead of meeting about 30 hours prior. I am looking forward to getting back down there in a couple weeks to do it again,well except the tank dind thingy.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content