Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

??? about front tires

3 posters

Go down

??? about front tires Empty ??? about front tires

Post  Ke4rco Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:50 am

I really am not trying to beat a dead horse. If this has been addressed, please show me where.

My question is this. I am seeing a lot of tire stores, etc. and mfgs. that differentiate between a front tire and a rear tire, i know some of the Dunflops and such when you place a 140/80/17 front tire next to 140/80/17 rear tire of the same model, there is really not a lot of difference. I do know that if running a radial on the rear you can go radial or bias on the front, but running radial on the front you shouldn't run bias on the rear.

I guess the question is this. What makes a front tire a front tire, and what makes a rear tire a rear tire. What are the real differences. I do know that on any particular bike that the front is narrower than the rear, but that being said, on our 1300R that runs the 140/80/17 front would it matter if the tire was sold or designed or labeled as a rear tire. I know it is a fat tire and I like that look. Kinda like the HD Fat Bob with the fat front tire.

Friend of mine has a new Pirelli rear that is the same size as my front that he says he can make me a deal on, just wondering what I should be looking for

I asked at my local shop and they said to mount the tire backwards when putting a rear tire on the front wheel, so the braking stress is applied in the same direction as the driving stress is on a rear tire. But it seems that can cause other problems if the tread pattern is designed to force water away from the center of the tire, as it rotates.

When looking for tires, I see that tires are listed seperately for front and rear, with about $30+ difference in price. So, what's the difference? does a motorcycle blow up if a rear tire is mounted on the front? As far as I can tell, the tread pattern is the same. What am I missing?

I have also heard that Darksiders run rears on the fronts. I am just trying to get my mind wrapped around things as far as getting out of the box. I have ridden for years always putting the same size, model, brand, etc. on the bikes I have owned past. Now getting deeper into the VTX and thinking about DS'ing has my mind going in forty eleven different directions. and the ADD/ADHD coffee addiction ain't helping.

I know it may seem kinda random, but being out of work and sitting at the puter, has got my mind working on weird stuff. i went riding this morning, and now I am waiting on my new rear tire to get here. Not going darkside yet, as the title holder says she won't let me do it until it's paid off (and if I want to enjoy some of the finer pleasures of married life). I would go out and ride some more, but trying to save what little back tire i got left until my new one gets here. Gonna do about 200 miles on our ride saturday, so if the tire don't get here before then, I gotta spare it.

Ke4rco

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

??? about front tires Empty Re: ??? about front tires

Post  jedishon Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:31 pm

Welcome to the site.
The biggest differance would be the tread depth. Which equals longer life. If you spend $30 more and get an extra 8,000 miles ( just a guesstamate on my part) it seem like a good deal. The local shop was right. Manufacturers recomend mounting it rotation backwards. There are some new tires out there that can be mounted in either direction but I haven't seen them yet. Does your wife know the ct will give you a smoother ride with more control and better braking? Bring her her and let her do a little research.
Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Ke4rco Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:34 am

I've explained the math to her, and it all makes sense, but this is a woman that had the same mr. coffee coffee maker for 17 years and didn't want a new one because even though it was old and slow, it still worked. I do love her, but sometimes she stays stuck in tradition.

I will sneak a DS on probably next go round and then let her ride before I say anything. But for right now, She is the one with the job, an I am on unemployment, so I kinda feel obligated to her desires.

I did finally talk her into a new coffee maker that would do 12 cups.

Ke4rco

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:18 pm

Congrats and welcome to our site.

I have done one rear tire on the front of a VTX1800 and we had to put it in the forward rotation because of the rain grooves and hydroplaning issues because of the V type pattern, so far no issues. Tires that have rain grooves cross ways it doesn't matter what direction you face them. JMO

....................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down