Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Must read books

3 posters

Go down

Must read books Empty Must read books

Post  smokey2255 Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:10 am

As a lot of you know I ordered Daniel Meyer's Life Is A Road series a while back. I finished all four of them the first time within a week. Since then I have been going back scanning through and hitting some of the stories. There is a lot of thought provoking insight in a lot of his writings.
For my money this is a set that everyone should have. They are going into my permanent library. Being an avid reader (200+books a year) I have only about 15 books that are in my must keep collection. Besides how often can you get a set with all being autograghed by the author. I don't want to get into the stories and ruin the experience for anyone, but...... no, ...... read the books. See if your eyes are not also opened to the little nuances we so eagerly over ook in our day to day lives.

I am anxiously awaiting his fiction novel to add to my collection.

The best place to get them is here
www.lifeisaroad.com
order them directly from Daniel and get them autograghed.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Must read books Empty Re: Must read books

Post  Guest Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:52 pm

+1 on that! They are great books. We tend to keep a lot of books. I donated half of our books to the library when we moved and we still have six 6' bookcases full. Both of us read constantly and usually are reading several books at a time. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:32 am

Shebear
I too tend to read several at a time. I tend to keep 4 going at a time and it don't matter how long it has been since I last read on one I can pick the story right back up. (drives my wife nuts). I learned a long time ago though that I can't keep what I read. I am enough of a pack rat and want to keep tham all but I know I will not go back and read 99.9% of what i read so thay need to go. Most go into circulation at work. The last "library " I had was when I was a young teenager and Mom was perplexed when I just boxed em all up one day and started toting them out. My first experience with pay it forward. Since then once it is read it goes in the go away stack, about every 3 months they all go away.

Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel Meyer Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:17 am

Smokey,

Thanks for the plug! Very glad you've enjoyed them!
Daniel Meyer
Daniel Meyer

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-12-25

http://lifeisaroad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:00 am

smokey2255 wrote:Shebear
I too tend to read several at a time. I tend to keep 4 going at a time and it don't matter how long it has been since I last read on one I can pick the story right back up. (drives my wife nuts). I learned a long time ago though that I can't keep what I read. I am enough of a pack rat and want to keep tham all but I know I will not go back and read 99.9% of what i read so thay need to go. Most go into circulation at work. The last "library " I had was when I was a young teenager and Mom was perplexed when I just boxed em all up one day and started toting them out. My first experience with pay it forward. Since then once it is read it goes in the go away stack, about every 3 months they all go away.

Smokey

Believe it or not, we read almost all of them again. The ones we don't are reference books but we refer to them as well. The internet is nice, but I like being able to refer to a "real" book. I have some books on my lap top and I am still getting used to reading that way. If there is a book that we are going to loan to someone, we buy an extra copy. Our theory on loaning is that we never loan anything we want back, be it money or books. That way when we don't get it back, it doesn't bother us. And no, we don't loan money very often, lol! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:42 am

smokey2255 wrote:As a lot of you know I ordered Daniel Meyer's Life Is A Road series a while back. I finished all four of them the first time within a week. Since then I have been going back scanning through and hitting some of the stories. There is a lot of thought provoking insight in a lot of his writings.
For my money this is a set that everyone should have. They are going into my permanent library. Being an avid reader (200+books a year) I have only about 15 books that are in my must keep collection. Besides how often can you get a set with all being autograghed by the author. I don't want to get into the stories and ruin the experience for anyone, but...... no, ...... read the books. See if your eyes are not also opened to the little nuances we so eagerly over ook in our day to day lives.

I am anxiously awaiting his fiction novel to add to my collection.

The best place to get them is here
www.lifeisaroad.com
order them directly from Daniel and get them autograghed.

See you out there
Smokey

Ok now ya gotta tell us what the other 14 are.
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:04 am

Muntz wrote:[

No I don't, that would be like letting y'all into my head. I promise you y'all don't want to go in there. Scary scary scary.
When I was working at the chemical plant there in La. one of the guys I work with told us all one day. "I've been here 24 years and with all the pressures and process and the chemicals out in the plant I finally figured out whee the scariest place in this plant is...... Right there in Larry's head" It was said as a gig on me but we all knew and know there is a certain truth to it. Shocked No I am not a dangerous person, unless you mess with my family, I just look at things a little different than most.
I will tell you though that one is a bible, another a bible study guide, an old book of poetry, an old dictionary,two from my childhood, one being a childrens bible stories book and another is Swiss Family Robinson and the rest of them are stuff that just align with my way of thinking..... one of them a steven king.... that should tell you too much right there cause we all know King aint right.
I guess my collection pretty well represents the good versus evil that most of us deal with everyday.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:41 am

smokey2255 wrote:
Muntz wrote:[

No I don't, that would be like letting y'all into my head. I promise you y'all don't want to go in there. Scary scary scary.
When I was working at the chemical plant there in La. one of the guys I work with told us all one day. "I've been here 24 years and with all the pressures and process and the chemicals out in the plant I finally figured out whee the scariest place in this plant is...... Right there in Larry's head" It was said as a gig on me but we all knew and know there is a certain truth to it. Shocked No I am not a dangerous person, unless you mess with my family, I just look at things a little different than most.
I will tell you though that one is a bible, another a bible study guide, an old book of poetry, an old dictionary,two from my childhood, one being a childrens bible stories book and another is Swiss Family Robinson and the rest of them are stuff that just align with my way of thinking..... one of them a steven king.... that should tell you too much right there cause we all know King aint right.
I guess my collection pretty well represents the good versus evil that most of us deal with everyday.

See you out there
Smokey

One I like from that reading age was Robinson Crusoe (sp?). I read it many times as a teen.

As far as Steven King goes, dont tell me its Geralds Game. Laughing

If you like "based on a true story stuff" Find "On the wings of Eagles" its about a group of guys that worked for Ross Perot at EDS, that were taken prisoner by Iran, and how Perot hires a former "special ops" guy and puts together a team to sneak in and get them back.
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down