Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BT-45 Bridgestone Battle-Ax tire??

+7
smokey2255
Metalman
Mark Newcomb
Mad Meteor
DS-Wing-Nut
marine-mp
wb9uze
11 posters

Go down

BT-45 Bridgestone Battle-Ax tire?? Empty BT-45 Bridgestone Battle-Ax tire??

Post  wb9uze Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:05 pm

Anyone running a Bridgestone BT-45 Battle Axe 130/70-18 (crotch rocket rear tire) on the front of your GL1800? Some of the triker's are getting 25,000 miles plus and that's wearing it mainly in the middle. I got one to try on my '08 2 wheeler.

wb9uze

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down

BT-45 Bridgestone Battle-Ax tire?? Empty Re: BT-45 Bridgestone Battle-Ax tire??

Post  marine-mp Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:25 pm

wb9uze,
I've had one on my '01 for about 1 year now. Check out some of my old posts and my signature. You will really like the Batt. Have about 18,000 miles on it and will likely get 25,000 easily. Very minor cupping, which is a big problem with the 1800 front and rear tires. 40 psi. Kuhmo on my 6. Semper-fi Mike

marine-mp

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post  DS-Wing-Nut Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:45 pm

Yes!
I got 28,500 miles out of it.
DS-Wing-Nut
DS-Wing-Nut

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2008-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Meteor Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:03 pm

I agree that the BT-45 bias rear tire on the front of a GL1800 gives good service. I have used the BT-45 on the front of the wife's trike as others have done but I'm not too fond of the 35 MPH BUZZ. Ask around and you'll find many have complained of the buzz. I went to a Metzeler Lasertec bias rear tire for the front of my GL1800 and now with about 7000 miles on it I'm sure it was the right move. No buzz, handles well, hasn't slipped and seems to brake just as well as anything I have ever run on the front. From now on, no more BT-45 for the front of the trike or the bike. The Metzeler Lasertec is the front tire of choice for me for me.
Mad Meteor
Mad Meteor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Back to top Go down

BT-45 Bridgestone Battle-Ax tire?? Empty Question for Mad Meteor

Post  Mark Newcomb Tue May 18, 2010 2:55 pm

I was thinking of running that metzler before deciding on using the Battlax. Part of the reason I didn't use it is due to a thread I read somewhere (sorry, no source) saying that the Metzler was just big enough to cause interference on the fender bracket.

Did you rubn into that issue?

Mark Newcomb

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Metalman Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:20 pm

I am running the Battleax on the front of my 1500. So far it is working great. I mounted it in reverse and got caught in a downpour on a winding back road. No problem...it clung like glue.

Metalman

Number of posts : 57
Location : Hernando Beach, FL (winter); Rineyville, KY (summer)
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  wb9uze Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:01 pm

Got the BattlAx on the '08 wing front mounted in reverse. Sticks to the road like glue, rides much better than regular front tire and quiet as a mouse and handles great. I've got about 5000 plus on it now and I can't see any wear at all. I keep it inflated to 40-41 lbs. Absolutely great tire on the front of a 2 wheel Wing IMO. I also might mention I do have tapered roller bearings in the steering head. When I bought the Wing from a very reputable dealer in Oct, 2009 with 11,300 miles on it the first thing I did before I drove it off was have the head bearings replaced after looking at the front tire. I called the original owner and asked him why he traded it (on a Harley he said). Told me it was already on its 4th front tire with 11,300 and the dealer where he bought it couldn't fix it and he was also under peer pressure from his buddies because most were on Harleys. Said the tires would cup bad right away and the dealer had retorqued and checked the steering head at least twice. After the bearings were replaced the tire that was cupping started wearing the cups off and was smoothing out. I used it for another 1000 miles and put the BattlAx on and never looked back. The tire has no signs of any cupping anywhere or unusual wear and rides sooth as silk. Happy Camper!!

wb9uze

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:30 am

All I hear about the battleaxe is good, I well be porting one on soon

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Metalman Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:47 pm

Just mounted a Battlax on the front of my 1800 Wing. I'm running a Vanco 195/65-16 in the back. I am also running a Battlax on the front of my 1500. Excellent tires. I can't understand why anyone would buy a front tire for the front of their bike if a rear tire size is available.

Metalman

Number of posts : 57
Location : Hernando Beach, FL (winter); Rineyville, KY (summer)
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:14 am

Good point. It's probably because the sheep are afraid to rock the box, in fear of ridicule from peers or just in fear.
One difference I found, and one only, in handling is the S-11 'stone at very slow speeds with the front brake on. The steering sticks a bit, like dry bearings. Let go the front brake and it's gone. I suspect it's because the rear doesn't have that groove down the center; otherwise it's the same tire, save for thickness.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

BT-45 Bridgestone Battle-Ax tire?? Empty BT 45 wont fit on rim

Post  mikeyrx Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:33 am

Got a BT 45 the other day and tried to mount it . Cant get it to fit on the front rim of my 98 GL 1500. I managed to get it on, but the tire wont fit up no matter what I do. There's always one spot where the bead (on both sides) stays down in the center. This is the first tire I can recall in 30 + years that I couldnt get mounted. Anyone else had difficulty with mounting this tire on the front of a GL 1500 ? It was so tight, that I ended up scuffing a spot on the bead with the tire irons, and I dont really want to try using it now.
Mikeyrx

mikeyrx

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  darrellj1 Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:29 pm

marine-mp wrote:wb9uze,
I've had one on my '01 for about 1 year now. Check out some of my old posts and my signature. You will really like the Batt. Have about 18,000 miles on it and will likely get 25,000 easily. Very minor cupping, which is a big problem with the 1800 front and rear tires. 40 psi. Kuhmo on my 6. Semper-fi Mike

I loved that quote so much, I'm going to use it at my job. I wish I could find a cool poster with that quote to hang in my office! If you know where I could get a picture/quote of Coolidge saying this I'd love to know it.

Thanks, Darrell Jones

darrellj1

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-11-01

Back to top Go down

BT-45 Bridgestone Battle-Ax tire?? Empty St1300 owners have used the Battlax rear tire on the front.

Post  moddy Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:01 pm

With good results too. They are running the 130/70-18 mounted in the direction of the arrow. I have read of people trying it both ways with no noticeable difference. I would consider mounting it in reverse as a theory in the way it was designed for the most durability. Not to say it won't do fine otherwise, just go with the idea that if it's on the front, mounted in reverse, when braking it will take the stress as designed while accelerating hard if it were mounted as a rear tire.
I am an ST1100 owner and using the Battlax rear tire for my next front, mounted in reverse direction.

moddy

Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:20 am

I ran the bt-45 for about 15k. It got really noisy and cupped. I replaced it with a rear perelli on the front. It only lasted about 12k. I am now running the bridgestone G-709. It has about 7K onit and is ten times the tire that either of the rear tires were. If you are an aggressive rider I highly recommend the 709.

For the rear, after trying 4 different non run flats I have mounted a Michilin alpin primacy pa3 zp ..... WOW .... what an awesome tire. Don't get me wrong. I trusted the non run flats, would ride dragging the hard parts. Once you learn to expect the tires to "set" going into a curve you can manage them fine. BUT.. with the run flat there is no "set" to wait on. just dive in and ride that puppy. 10 times the pleasure. thumbup

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

BT-45 Bridgestone Battle-Ax tire?? Empty I am mounting the Battlax 110/80h-18

Post  moddy Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:39 am

Will keep you posted how it's doing. Will take several months to aquire a few miles.

moddy

Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down