Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I did it

3 posters

Go down

I did it Empty I did it

Post  horses_azz Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:55 pm

Well I decided to put a ct on and couldn't really decide what one...I did a bigger taboo and went to the local tire shop and bought a used ..michelin 215/55/17 for $40.00..When I got home I pulled the wheel off my bike and mounted the ct ..Started around 5:15 p.m. by 7:30 p.m. I was letting her down off the jack..I put on my helmet and shot down the road..Here in Il. it was dark at 7:00 so just up and the old black top for now..I really couldn't tell much of a difference around curves at 35mph. I am planing on going for a little ride tomorrow after work.. Will let you know.. Twisted Evil
horses_azz
horses_azz

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-09-09

Back to top Go down

I did it Empty Re: I did it

Post  Oldsmobility Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:48 pm

Hope they didn't get you too bad on the used tire. I've had some bad experiences buying used tires in the past, but working at a tire shop, I had some great experiences with free used tires. I've seen plenty of people come in and replace all four tires, even when two were perfectly good, so there are decent used tires to be found.

I couldn't tell any difference until I did some quick swerves back and forth. At first It felt very strange, and not in a good way. After a short while though, the car tire feels like it should have always been on there.
Oldsmobility
Oldsmobility

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:05 am

Welcome to the darkside..... A 215 is a big tire. What bike do you have it mounted on? Are there any rubbing issues?

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

I did it Empty Tire on a Stratoliner

Post  horses_azz Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:21 am

The people at the shop are friends and sell good used tires. You are right about some people getting 4 new tires, Some people have more money then sense.. The tire I bought is pretty good.. I mounted it on a 2006 Yamaha Stratoliner...It went on fairly easey, I was a little woried when I got it to blow up it didn't pop when it seated.. Right now I have 40psi. in it. Did not rub last nite... I am going to take her out on the hy-way today after work..One up at first then going home to pickup the wife for a little ride..Will post after the ride.... Twisted Evil
horses_azz
horses_azz

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:47 am

I would be very careful if it didn't pop when it seated.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

I did it Empty Ride

Post  horses_azz Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:48 pm

Rode 50 miles tonight, it was all good. I was on old uneven black tops, new Hy-way ,tight curves. I didn't really even notice any difference. Would that be because Of the tire size that has always been on the bike?? It was kind of wide it was a 190 .. Now on the other hand my wife on back said she could feel the difference..I think it is because some people we ride with don't approve...They are the run of the mill, should ride and do as every one else...Don't do what might make waves...Hey I have always wanted to surf...SURFS UP!!!!!! I might drop a pound or two psi just because it seemed a little hard with two people... Twisted Evil affraid
horses_azz
horses_azz

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldsmobility Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:17 am

jedishon wrote:I would be very careful if it didn't pop when it seated.

Jerry

I assume he means that it seated quietly, instead of the beads popping loudly.

The biggest difference in the car tire that I notice is that it seems to transition from one side to the other more smoothly. Instead of hopping up over the motorcycle tire contour, the car tire just conforms to the road as you roll from one side to the other. Other than that, it really doesn't feel any different from the bike tire to me either.
Oldsmobility
Oldsmobility

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum