Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some cornering thoughts

+2
Pointman
RonK
6 posters

Go down

Some cornering thoughts Empty Some cornering thoughts

Post  RonK Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:54 pm

--
I was reading someone's comments here somewhere, and they reminded me that I, too, had an issue of initiating my turns with slightly more pressure needed than with the stock mc tire on. This was when the tire was new. Now with about 8,000 miles, I don't seem to have that problem at all. One thing I have done a lot of, is to go down the road frequently and do the zig-zag so I'm riding on the edges of my tires much more than by staying on a straight path. I suspect this might break in the edges a little and make them more pliable--just guessing.

Another thing. I don't know how often others do this, but I often practice different maneuvers just to learn more about my bike and enhance my riding ability. One thing is that most riders know that by pressing down on the handgrip, you can turn to that side. It's actually called "countersteering". It has to do with the geometry of the front forks mostly, and the characteristics of tires on a bike. But to really understand how this works (not why as I don't understand that either), try pushing forward on the side you are turning towards and at the same time pull back on the side away from the direction you want to go. Amazingly, the bike turns the opposite way you are turning. This is completely opposite of what the bike does when you are in a parking lot moving very slowly.

Anyway, perhaps if you newbies that have trouble with getting used to this "problem", try more pushing/pulling, you'll find that the bike initiates the turn much more easily than simply pushing down. It's almost like magic.

Just some thoughts.

RonK

RonK

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Back to top Go down

Some cornering thoughts Empty Re: Some cornering thoughts

Post  Pointman Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:55 pm

I'm 2k into my Altimax and I'd swear it isn't even the same tire... and you're dead on with the practice. That should apply to any rider irregardless of tires but I agree with you RonK that it probably has additional benefits for darksiders especially on breaking in new tires.

Pointman

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-07-18

http://www.pointmanspage.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:29 am

You are absolutely correct with your assessment of counter steering. Most of the newbie’s do not understand the concept and are fighting the bike into turns and leaning it to make the turns. Let the bike do all the work by using counter steering. It was designed to do it and makes the bike so much more stable. For those of you that don’t understand it go ride and practice. Once you get the feel for it, it will become second nature. For those of you that don’t, Learn to for the sake of your riding buddy and your family.

I sure would appreciate it.

Ride safe.
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:22 am

Through countersteeringI can drag my boards running a straight stretch of road at 60mph and never leave my 1/3rd of the road. Toasted saw me do it on our run to Mena last year. I was riding 2 up with my son on the back and the roads were still wet from all the rain we ran through. Counter steering is a must know for all riders.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:43 am

smokey2255 wrote:Through countersteeringI can drag my boards running a straight stretch of road at 60mph and never leave my 1/3rd of the road. Toasted saw me do it on our run to Mena last year. I was riding 2 up with my son on the back and the roads were still wet from all the rain we ran through. Counter steering is a must know for all riders.

See you out there
Smokey

I would like to see that myself. I have not tried it and now Im gonna. Any tips you feel you want to share there Smokey?

Peace
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:15 pm

Countersteering works at all speeds above 15...

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:40 am

Actually if you wanna get real technical countersteering works at any speed period. At low speeds it is virtually impossible to feel and as soon as the lean starts you will be turning into it, but the point of countersteering is to INITIATE the lean and that works at any speeed above 0MPH Very Happy

Above about 12-15mph it does start to become noticable though. Sorry for my usual overtechnical assesment of basic motorcycle physics, I try to keep quiet, but occasionally I just have to pipe in jocolor

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:05 am

George you can pipe in any time you want....Now how about a couple pics of those girls

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down