Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new to the darkside on 06rsv

3 posters

Go down

new to the darkside on 06rsv Empty new to the darkside on 06rsv

Post  yamahamer Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:25 pm

I just made the move last week with the kumho 165/80/15 and I like it until I get hard into a turn then I feel like I'm drifting. I am running 44 lbs and was wondering has anyone took the air pressure up above side wall max? if so did this take the slide feel out of the tire or is this something I just have to learn to live with? Thanks for any advice.
yamahamer
yamahamer

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-08-03

Back to top Go down

new to the darkside on 06rsv Empty Re: new to the darkside on 06rsv

Post  Steve-O Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:41 pm

Any time you put on a new tire, it takes some getting used to.

The drifting effect is something that many of us first notice. I can be reduced by adjusting the air pressure. I felt it more when my tire pressure was 38, and got rid of it when I put 42 lbs of air in. Can't remember what I had in my kumho, but I felt it on that tire also.

I'm not certain if this is real or imagined. Not sure if there is any way to measure it. I DO know the tire is not slipping.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamer Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:17 am

Yea I know it's not slipping I had a friend follow me in the twisties and it's just roleing. Wonder if the BFG would have been the better choice for me. I ride alot but when I get on some good roads I ride it like a sport bike. I just worry about breaking the bead in a turn. I guess in time I will learn to trust the tire like I did my Avons.
yamahamer
yamahamer

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamer Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:37 pm

FYI I went up to 50 psi on the Kumho and it feels great! Only problem is the side wall says 45psi max. Question So how dangerous could this be? It's mad to hold a car at 45 psi so is a 850 pound bike going to do any damage at 50 psi? confused
yamahamer
yamahamer

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:31 pm

yamahamer wrote:FYI I went up to 50 psi on the Kumho and it feels great! Only problem is the side wall says 45psi max. Question So how dangerous could this be? It's mad to hold a car at 45 psi so is a 850 pound bike going to do any damage at 50 psi? confused

None that I know of...we have guys with race trailers down here in bumpy Louisiana put upwards of 60 psi to keep the trailers from busting tires by bottoming them out! Plus, the manufactures will always rate pressure about 80% of what it will take comfortable. Heck we seat the bead on our 1300's with the narrower rims at 100+ psi!

It's always a risk when you do anything like this, but don't do what you are NOT comfortable with! Please use your own sense of safety for your own good.

....................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down