Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another convert!!

+4
85V-TWIN
twin1300
nodakbassmaster
P3Popeye
8 posters

Go down

Another convert!! Empty Another convert!!

Post  P3Popeye Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:00 pm

Been working up to this for a while...now today is the day. Will be mounting a 205/60/16 Goodyear Assurance "comfort tred" on my 2002 VTX1800C today. I was planning on the Triple Tred that many have BUT this is what I got so will review later tonight. Pretty excited and of course all my biker buddies are curious but non brave enough to take the step. More tonight - wish me luck.
Cool

P3Popeye

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Another convert!! Empty Re: Another convert!!

Post  nodakbassmaster Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:27 pm

sweet! Let us know how it goes, what you think and we like pictures! cheers
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:30 pm

Great....be sure and come back and give us a review or let us know if you have any problems.

...............bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  85V-TWIN Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:32 pm

welcome and i'm sure you will fall in love with the c/t,i did Smile
85V-TWIN
85V-TWIN

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2009-07-13

Back to top Go down

Another convert!! Empty QUESTION???? HELP

Post  P3Popeye Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:13 pm

OK...Tire is on and I'll post PIC asap...HOWEVER,,, I'ts still on the stand (haven't put front tire on yet_) and there is only about 1/8 of an inch between the tire and my swingarm on the final drive side. Plenty of room on the right (brake side)/.

Is this normal? I only have about 20lbs of air in ( lowered to squeeze the tire on) and will put it up to about 38 tomorrow..is it going to expand much more. How much space to you GYTT riders normally see on a VTX1800C between the tire and drive side swingarm??? Can't wait to get home from work tomorrow and finish it up. Neutral

Thanks to all, I really want this to work out- it just seems like a CRAZY tight fit.

P3Popeye

Back to top Go down

Another convert!! Empty re question???help

Post  Larry Simpson Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:23 pm

Na that is not tight, mine barely has credit card clearance never touches, tire grows in height with rpm and will also shrink in width .just find your sweet spot (pressure wise) and enjoy.RIDE SAFE Larry Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:02 am

Your going down in a ball of flames. It is unsafe and you cant turn. Bla-bla-bla.

Cool You are going to love it. Get on and ride.

Peace.
Moon
<><
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Another convert!! Empty Finishing the transformation tomorrow

Post  P3Popeye Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:52 pm

I'll be finishing the transformation to the darkside tomorrow...put 3oz dyna beads in the rear CT and 2oz in the front MT. I saw something about waiting to put in the beads due to the tire lube used to mount the tire???? They didn't say anything about that on their website..??? I just put them in after mounting the tire??? Anyhow...I'll have it all together tomorrow and will post pics. Too many long work days this week to finish the project-making me mental!!!! So I took Fri off from work JUST to finish this up. Can't wait to feel the "power of the darkside!" Cool

P3Popeye

Back to top Go down

Post  dond4605 Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:51 am

P3Popeye wrote: Anyhow...I'll have it all together tomorrow and will post pics. Too many long work days this week to finish the project-making me mental!!!! So I took Fri off from work JUST to finish this up. Can't wait to feel the "power of the darkside!" Cool
I think you are already feeling the power. Cool It was strong enough for you to take off work Friday. Laughing
Welcome and enjoy. Don't forget about the PICS.
dond4605
dond4605

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Back to top Go down

Another convert!! Empty Transformation Complete

Post  P3Popeye Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:21 pm

Finally finished up the transformation and got the bike off the jack for a test run. 1st time out 33lbpsi and #2 shock setting was "interesting". Just went down to store and back about 3 miles. Then I increased psi to 41lb and #2 shock setting and went for a longer ride with a buddy following me on his Vulcan 1500. Definite difference with the extra air-not quite as much "boat" feeling in the rear. Think I'll need to try 40-50psi for a range and see how the handling does. So far I'm really liking it, just quite a change in the feel. The traction is KING, when we hit some rain yesterday and I plowed through the 3/4inch standing water on the road, not only did I leave a wide dry space but I put out a 15 foot rooster tail!!! Drenched my buddy riding behind me...ahahaahah

I'll post pics as soon as I can figure out how to save them to the verizon FTP server

Good to be aboard.

Last edited by P3Popeye on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:34 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : pic added (i think))

P3Popeye

Back to top Go down

Another convert!! Empty Awesome!!!!

Post  P3Popeye Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:32 pm

Wow...Easier to corner than I imagined...although I had a Bridgestone 200 MC tire on before.. The ride is quiet and super smooth. The flex of the wheel within the tire is a little weird feeling if I'm engine braking or if I down shift to 4th above 60mph to execute "blast off" procedure. Cool However, when you understand that this is only the added flex of the sidewall and in no way reflective of rear traction, any worries soon disappear. Here's some pics.

Also, it puts up a 15ft rooster tail in the rain...anyone else experience this??

ride safe,
P3-Popeye

Another convert!! 100_4614
Another convert!! 100_4607
Another convert!! 100_4615

P3Popeye

Back to top Go down

Post  CaribCruiser Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:58 pm

Popeye,

Welcome to the madness, congrats. I'm sure some of your buddies will follow.
As mentioned earlier, the space is more then enough, I also have lesser space.
If you have doubts after finding the right pressure, just put some tape on the tire,
or better chalk to convince yourself.
Otherwise you have to make some adjustments, but not needed, unless you're as
crazy as I am. Twisted Evil
Regarding "Also, it puts up a 15ft rooster tail in the rain...anyone else experience this??"
Yes I do, since I don't really have a fender !!! Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad Wink Wink
Good luck enjoy it and keep us posted.
CaribCruiser
CaribCruiser

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:13 pm

P3Popeye wrote:
Also, it puts up a 15ft rooster tail in the rain...anyone else experience this??

Oh yeah. My wife was behind me when she got wet. Ha ha ha ha ha ha. She said that she couldn’t even see me, which I find hard to believe. And I have gotten my buds too same way. I rode my bike just after the eye of Hurricane Gustov went by. It was insane. Lots of fun but if there is a next time I prolly will leave the bike in the garage. I got to say that the bike stuck like glue on the wet roads and high winds. I had more issues with my windshield than anything else.

Not knockin ya but 40+ psi might be a tad high. I would step it down to 35psi and work up from there. You stated that your shock setting was at two. I would back that down 1 as well. I found when dialing in my bike that I played and played with pressure and got it where it was the best but it was not until I turned my shock down a notch when it felt right. Man I knew it too when it was there. I am not sayin that this is the ticket, but I am just trying to save you a step. If it works for ya, then good. but if it don’t, my name is Larry Simpson. Very Happy Things may be a little different my tire is a 215/45-18. But that worked for me.

Go ride and enjoy.
Playin is the fun part.

Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Back to top Go down

Another convert!! Empty re another convert

Post  Larry Simpson Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:22 pm

Heeeeeeeeeey something doesn't sound right here but then again I am a fool so proubably can take blame for this tooooo Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:24 pm

Im just playin Larry.
Hope you and yours is happier than you need be.

Blessings to ya.
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Back to top Go down

Another convert!! Empty re another convert

Post  Larry Simpson Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:29 pm

Badmoon wrote:Im just playin Larry.
Hope you and yours is happier than you need be.

Blessings to ya. DITTO Razz Razz Very Happy Very Happy
Moon
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Back to top Go down

Another convert!! Empty Copy all...

Post  P3Popeye Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:13 am

Thanks Larry & Moon... I'll try the #1 shock setting, just that I have had NO clearance issues so wasn't going to push it, but with the CT on the back and new Progressive shocks in front, my seat height has moved up 1inch. Also the "Comfort Tread" gives the tire a softer feel than the "Triple Tread" (which is what I intended to buy-long story) so I upped the pressure from 36psi to the higher pressure and it seems to lessen the flex feel. But going to try moving the shock setting first then dial back down to 36psi and see what happens.

FYI....coming home from work last Fri in rain I was really pushing it into the corners and that rear tire just stuck like glue!! OH YEA!!!! Cool

P3Popeye

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down