Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is important? (Or Information Overload)

4 posters

Go down

What is important? (Or Information Overload) Empty What is important? (Or Information Overload)

Post  Darbre Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:53 am

Rear tire has got to go. It's getting a little thin. I've been on the fence for quite a while, but have decided on a Goodyear Triple Tread for my '05 1800N3. Tire size will be a 205/60R16. How much of what I've been reading applies to the N?

Tire lube. I've read to use soap and water, plain dishsoap alone, mix olive oil with soap and water. Even read a post that said to use KY jelly affraid I'll be getting it mounted at a local bike shop, but he's never mounted a car tire on a bike rim before and will accept any suggestions. He uses normal commercial tire lube and thinks it'll work fine.

Dyna beads. I already use them and will use them in the CT. Some guys say to not put them in for 500 miles. This allows the tire lube to dry? So I should go ahead and let him spin balance the CT, and at 500 miles take the weights off and install Dyna beads? When he installed the Metz we didn't do that and all seemed fine.

Crap on rim bead. I understand that cleaning the rim bead will help the tire seat. What should I clean it with? Soap and water, or is a wire brush good?

Space at swingarm. I had a 200 Metz and there wasn't much space. A 205 will be even closer. Some have said that there is less than 2 credit card clearance, but that this is not a problem because as the tire spins, it gets taller and narrower from the centrifugal force of the spinning tire. That makes sense, but how about going slow? Both my wife and I are a little heavier than we should be. Together we probably add 400#. Swingarm clearance still OK? I've read that some guys have to grind the fender struts? Will I need to do this? Where does it rub if it's going to rub? Front, back?

Air pressure. I understand that air pressure is different for each tire, bike, load. Most guys seem to start around 40# and go from there. I thought since we're pretty heavy, that I'd start at 42#. But since it WILL feel different how will I know what "right" feels like?

I appreciate the "hand holding" guys. I'm not a maverick, and my wrenching skills are basic at best. My bike guru is "appalled" that I'd put a CT on a bke. He won't be much help if I run into problems. Any info that will make this easier (safer) is appreciated.

Darbre

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

What is important? (Or Information Overload) Empty Re: What is important? (Or Information Overload)

Post  jconrad2 Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:04 pm

I am a new Darksider myself, so I make no claims at being any kind of DS expert.

That being said, I too did a bunch of research before making the switch to include the actual mounting of the tire on the rim. I saw several videos where the guys used Pledge (or equivalant) furniture polish for the lube for 2 reasons. 1 slickeryer, and easyer to control to minimize excess getting into tire and messing with the Dyna beads.

I ended up taking my tire and wheel to a local shop to "finish" mounting it for me. They used the traditional soapy water. The first bead set at 90psi after several attempts. They could not get the second bead to set. I brought the tire home and cleaned out the inside of the excess soapy water, then squirted it with some furniture polish, used my finger to spread it on the bead and rim. Only took 60psi to get the bead to set. So I will be using furniture polish in the future.

Jeff
jconrad2
jconrad2

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-06-14

Back to top Go down

What is important? (Or Information Overload) Empty Re: What is important? (Or Information Overload)

Post  horseman8m Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:55 pm

Darbre wrote:

Crap on rim bead. I understand that cleaning the rim bead will help the tire seat. What should I clean it with? Soap and water, or is a wire brush good?

soap & water with fine steel wool , it will clean and polish at the same time.
good luck
Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Darbre Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:54 pm

Thanks!

Darbre

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post  cerooth Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:43 pm

The tire lube the shop uses will not last 500 miles before drying, most shops use the same type that will dry in 5 minutes of application. Soap and water for cleaning work well, and if need be add a little elbow grease. The thing to remember about mounting a tire is to get the tire into the well of the wheel when mounting. After mounting the tire, you want to evenly place pressure to get the beads closer to the rim before you add any air. This will help in setting the beads, and sometimes you need to overinflate the tire to get the beads to set. Just be careful when you do that and releave the pressure as soon as you her "BOTH" beads set. You might even have to bounce the tire a few times once you start to inflate it and check to see how far the bead is from setting.
cerooth
cerooth
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 569
Registration date : 2007-12-15

https://www.facebook.com/#!/cerooth

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum