Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What tire combination for me ??

+2
Larry Simpson
Herbie
6 posters

Go down

What tire combination for me ?? Empty What tire combination for me ??

Post  Herbie Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:26 am

Opinions please. I have a 2005 1300R. Currently running a metz 880 150 on the front and a kumho 165? CT on the rear. Both tires are near needing to be replaced.

I’ve been riding for about 35 years. So I’m experienced. I don’t feel comfortable lately leaning the bike in tight corners. I bought the X in the fall of 2005. I’ve never scraped the floor boards. Suffice it to say I’m don’t ride aggressively. My concern is this … although I don’t scrape the boards through the twisties … I’d like to feel confident that I COULD if the situation warranted ( too fast on an unfamiliar corner, emergency evasive action, etc ).

Finally my question. Is there a tire combination ( MC front / CT back, or both MC front and back ) that would make the bike easier to lean and feel more solid in the corners? I know a lot of this is probably just pushing myself or learning a technigue to get through the corners quicker… but could the 150 tire on the front ( opposed to the stock 140 ) , or the CT in back maybe be causing the ride to feel a little less stable in the turns.

Forgive my ramblings. But I have the opportunity to replace both tire now, and want to get the setup that would make the bike turn the easiest and feel the best ( solid ) in the tighter turns. As for darksie, I’m fine with that if that is the best for me… but I have no problems going with MT front and rear if that is the best combination to make the bike feel better ( stick.. solid..) around the corners .. hence giving me more confidence to lean it further if the situation demands.

More info; I’m a big SOB 6’1” 300#.. I have progressive springs and shocks. What tire combination would you recommend for me? Thanks

Herbie

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

What tire combination for me ?? Empty re what tire combination for me

Post  Larry Simpson Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:45 am

Your ME880 in my opinion is a good front tire (thats is what I am using) the bigger front tire will handle road cracks better and shouldn't have any negative effect on turning.The CT on the other hand will have a big positive effect on turning you will be pleasantly supprised at the feel of confidence and the ease of manuvering you will experience (slow and high speeds) Basicly you just have to get over programed mindset and find the right air pressure for you. Very Happy
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

What tire combination for me ?? Empty Re: What tire combination for me ??

Post  jedishon Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:16 am

The combination you have now is a good one. You have to teach yourself how to trust your tires. Gradually increase your lean angle and or increase your speed untill you do scrape the boards. Slowly.
You could also look for an advanced riders course.
After 20 years I went back and took the basic class again. I was surprised how much I had forgotten and the bad habits I had picked up.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  hasbro56 Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:24 am

Herbie, I re-started my riding a few years ago after a really long layoff - about 30 years! My bike back in the day was a Triumph Tiger and I now have a 2005 1300R, a big difference in weight and handling. It took me a while to get used to leaning all that weight without fearing that I would just dump it. The way I got over it was to take the basic MSF course (wasn't available when I first started riding!) before I got the VTX then practice in the parking lots with it, a lot. As the Ride Like a Pro video shows, with practice you can handle any bike. Practice going in a slow speed circle, gradually shrinking the circle while maintaining the same speed. As the circle gets smaller you must lean over further, all the way over until your floorboards scrape. No worries there, they will just make noise and start to fold up. Practice maintaining speed and lean at the point where the boards just touch until you feel comfortable with how far over you are, you may be surprised at how far it is and that you can actually do it! After that, practice the lean you need to make when you exit a driveway and make that tight right turn. That was the hardest for me. After I got both of those exercises accomplished, riding through the mountain roads is a piece of cake! Easy now to judge speed and lean angle, and making noises when the boards scrape is fun not fearful.
As for the tire combo, I use an ME880 front size 140/80 and it does track to grooves in the road a little, so I'll probably use a 150 next time. I have a Michelin Hydroedge 205/70-15 on the back and have no problems leaning it over. I actually seems to give me a bit more clearance than the stock size, maybe due to the extra width. After the first 100 miles or so it felt completely natural, and after 2000 miles the bike feels like it should have when I bought it . I have not been able to break it loose from fast turns no matter far I lean, and it sticks much better in emergency stops. I think you have the same problem I had; it's not the tire, it's fear from not practicing enough to see where your limits are. Whether you stay with the 165 or move to something wider, you are the one that pushes it over so you just need to practice some. Good luck!

hasbro56

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post  RonK Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:25 am

--
I have to admit that early on I was nervous about turns since all the naysayers told us we couldn't turn sharp enough with the ct. After several thousand miles on my ct, I found that I too often turned sharp enough to scrape my boards. I have to discipline myself these days to not turn so sharp as it's wearing my scrape bumps off on the pavement!

Needlesss to say, the tire has never failed in a turn--only my nerve.

RonK

RonK

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Herbie Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:12 am

Just ordered the Ride like a Pro DVD.....

What air pressure do people run in front and CT ? I read some 'experiment' to find a satifactory ride? what are the qualities you are looking for to settle on a given pressure?

Thanks....

Herbie

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:43 pm

I like a firm ride, i keep 36-40psi in the rear tire.
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

What tire combination for me ?? Empty re what tire combination for me

Post  Larry Simpson Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:07 pm

I like a softer ride(don't have much built in padding) I run 32 in ct and 38 front tire.At that psi in rear tire I don't feel uneven surfaces like I do at higher psi. also don't see any abnormal center tread wear .Tire holds firm in all conditions. Very Happy Very Happy
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down