Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

question: Rear flange & wheel bearings....

3 posters

Go down

question:  Rear flange & wheel bearings.... Empty question: Rear flange & wheel bearings....

Post  footprintsinconc Fri May 15, 2009 2:48 pm

i am planning on going to the darkside in the next month. stock dunny is almost gone. i am some over 9k miles on the bike

i am going to be dong all the work myself. i have read quiete a few thread on this and noticed a few things so i though i'd ask a few main questions that i have in my mind right now:

1. what is a flange bearing? i am looking at page 14-6 of the manual and dont see one.
2. is it advisable to change the rear wheel bearings and flange bearings (what ever that is) when putting a car tire on? (since i have it apart)
3. should i be removing the disc for the brake off the wheel when trying to attempt to change the tire.
4. when putting the tire back on, is honda's moly grease suitable to put on the splines?
5. do you think i should change the driveshaft oil at this time?
6. is there anything else that i should consider doing or changing while i have my rear tire off?

well that is it for now.

thanks for the help!
footprintsinconc
footprintsinconc

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

question:  Rear flange & wheel bearings.... Empty Re: question: Rear flange & wheel bearings....

Post  horseman8m Sat May 16, 2009 12:49 am

only use moly paste , not moly grease.
paste has 60% or more moly in it and
grease has 3% moly in it
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

question:  Rear flange & wheel bearings.... Empty Re: question: Rear flange & wheel bearings....

Post  rayjohn02 Sat May 16, 2009 5:13 pm

It is a good idea to check the flange bearings and the wheel bearings when you remove the wheel. The drive flange has two bearings pressed into it. Check them for smoothness and to see if the cage that holds the balls in postion has not come apart. I had to replace my flange bearings but not my wheel bearings. If you replace them, do not apply any pressure to the inner races when pressing them into the drive flange or the bearings will be damaged. I got replacements at a local bearing supply house for about $25, better quality than oem.
rayjohn02
rayjohn02

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Sun May 17, 2009 4:31 pm

#3. when i did my tire i didn't remove the disk , i placed three 4x4 blocks under the rim to keep it off the concrete .
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum